2014 52k miles. Leaking head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all,

Just got some effed up news. I have been chasing code p0308 for the past two weeks. Would get a cylinder 8 misfire on cold starts and intermittently throughout the day. Replaced spark plugs, swapped coils, put new gas in it. The problem persisted and even my mechanic of 15 years couldn’t seem to figure it out. I ended up taking it to Gullo Toyota in Conroe, TX. I took them some new brakes to install while they had it. While I was there, they took me back to talk to the tech and he informed me that it seems that after trouble shooting, It seems as it has a head gasket leak. Video of the test shown below.

Needless to say, I’m shook. Never would’ve thought. Thoughts? Anyone ever had this happen? It’s never overheated, I monitor the temps religiously. I got it used a year and a half ago with 27k miles.

my heart is broken.

powertrain warranty?

You should look into Duggy's Garage on 45N. all they work on is Toyota 4x4. I would trust them over any dealership!

powertrain warranty?

You should look into Duggy's Garage on 45N. all they work on is Toyota 4x4. I would trust them over any dealership!
[/QUOTE/]

Sadly not, it’s a year removed from the power train warranty. I am contemplating whether it’s worth it to take it elsewhere. If it’s having major engine work, I’d prefer to have it done at the dealer for documentation sake. I also have a commercial account with them so parts will be cheaper. And with the CO2 test... it doesn’t really lie... does it?

Not sure why it quoted like that...

Sadly not, it’s a year removed from the power train warranty. I am contemplating whether it’s worth it to take it elsewhere. If it’s having major engine work, I’d prefer to have it done at the dealer for documentation sake. I also have a commercial account with them so parts will be cheaper. And with the CO2 test... it doesn’t really lie... does it?

Where did u buy used from? Toyota?

Maybe ask for goodwill as this is Toyota halo suv. Bet Toyota corporate will bite for a sizeable chunk off your total bill.

Where did u buy used from? Toyota?

Maybe ask for goodwill as this is Toyota halo suv. Bet Toyota corporate will bite for a sizeable chunk off your total bill.

I did not buy from Toyota. This is a thought though. I will be contacting Toyota corporate regardless.

You are or were within the window to buy an extended warranty

What is the history of the first 27K miles? The radiator may have had an age-related fail at the typical spot causing an engine overheat prior to your ownership. HG failures on this engine without cause are almost unheard of. The test does seem to confirm HG leak, but I've never used the CO2 test myself.

What is the history of the first 27K miles? The radiator may have had an age-related fail at the typical spot causing an engine overheat prior to your ownership. HG failures on this engine without cause are almost unheard of. The test does seem to confirm HG leak, but I've never used the CO2 test myself.

ive known that the car had a rough first 27k miles. The front has been painted and the previous owner passed away and the car sat for a year or so before I got it. So of course I rolled the dice on it, but after inspecting mechanically it all checked out. The dealer had mentioned the same thing that perhaps the radiator had been previously compromised.

Another opinion: Though a goodwill via Toyota wouldn’t be in the cards, Clear Choice Independant Lexus on I-45 / Sawdust is really good. We use them for all of our vehicles and they only work with Toyota or Lexus vehicles. I have a ‘14 LC purchased from Gullo as well.
Hope it all works out well for you.

Radiator failure seems more related to heat cycling/mileage than years in service. The common radiator failure in the first 27k would shock me. But if the front was painted who knows what was done and maybe it had a damaged rad from that event that wasn’t fixed in time.

Another opinion: Though a goodwill via Toyota wouldn’t be in the cards, Clear Choice Independant Lexus on I-45 / Sawdust is really good. We use them for all of our vehicles and they only work with Toyota or Lexus vehicles. I have a ‘14 LC purchased from Gullo as well.
Hope it all works out well for you.
Radiator failure seems more related to heat cycling/mileage than years in service. A failure in the first 27k would surprise me. But if the front was painted who knows what was done and maybe it had a damaged rad that wasn’t fixed in time.
this is what I’m leaning towards.

Here’s whats going on currently. Heads off to the machine shop tomorrow.

613E4A0A-D042-4C8B-BE6A-EA998C920C3A.jpeg

8B4C853E-6DCB-40DF-98F1-6D92189F5302.jpeg

079A3DA9-149D-4D4E-A225-41ACBDA7B78F.jpeg

AE9B2D7B-7857-43BC-AD85-6937F8ADAC86.jpeg

Wow, you don't realize how massive these 5.7L engines are until you see the guts. What's the machine shop going to do?

That looks like an awful lot of carbon deposit on the cylinder heads that show and the valves for an engine with such low mileage. I'm also confused why some of the valves are dirty and some are spotless... artifact of a leaky head gasket? Then again I've never broken down a Toyota 5.7L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom