2013 Land Cruiser KDSS Decision Time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny, i was just starting to explore taking the system off. Curious to follow the journey if you go that route.

Curious where you've heard of people removing KDSS? I don't recall anyone here doing it - perhaps you mean the AHC system on the LX?

I may not have seen a thread of 200s doing it or I can't find it. This is a medium-length thread about 4Runners doing it.

Found a random article of an AUS spec GXL LC200, that doesn't look to have KDSS. Looks like it uses the LX rear sway bar config.

If I'm staring at this right, the passenger side sway bar bracket on the axle looks to be bolt on to the panhard bracket. Which the USDM LC200 should have an interface for. So the USDM LC200 is missing the welded bracket on the driver side. In the grand scheme of things, that's not hard to add.

View attachment 2907905
If OPs threads aren’t rusted into dust there should even be welded inserts in the holes already.

794B0EDD-3495-4FCD-BB97-13A347E43F4A.jpeg

I may not have seen a thread of 200s doing it or I can't find it. This is a medium-length thread about 4Runners doing it.

A 4Runner is a different beast altogether, and it also weighs at least a thousand pounds less than a 200 (and costs $40k+ less than a 200 new/new stock/stock). I just glanced at the first page of that thread and stopped reading when I got to this below quoted post which really says everything. Handling and safety is compromised, period. To each their own, but this is not something I would ever consider on a 200.

"As for the handling, it is a very heavy, lifted rig with a high COG. It handles just short of a drunken pig going around a corner. There is a fair amount of body roll. With the altered state and modifications, one has to drive with this always knowing how the vehicle reacts. There is a learning curve at first until you have got a feel, as with any vehicle.

Springs and rates will help with some of the body roll, but it will never be like having sway bars, ever!

I just did a 3,200 mile road trip with myself, wife, two kids, two dogs and luggage for the week with no issues. Lots of highway miles with some windy roads. Never had an issue, but I know how the truck handles and what are safe speeds."

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, you are so much help. We are going with the full KDSS replacement from the dealer. I am going to slather it from end to end with some type of powerful protector. Is Cosmoline still a thing?
I would strongly advise you seriously consider the fact that the dealer is in over their head and you end up with a money pit. What is the competency of this dealer?

To my knowledge, nobody on here has ever had a complete KDSS system replacement. I’d dump the pressure from the system allowing the truck to level, sell the truck at Camax, and buy another.

I would strongly advise you seriously consider the fact that the dealer is in over their head and you end up with a money pit. What is the competency of this dealer?

To my knowledge, nobody on here has ever had a complete KDSS system replacement. I’d dump the pressure from the system allowing the truck to level, sell the truck at Camax, and buy another.
Thank you, you have a point. I took it in and asked for the KDSS to be balanced and it was diagnosed as a broken passenger strut. Then they pulled the strut and it was a learning moment. I should run Forest run.

Adding that driver's side bracket would be a trivial job for a decent fabrication shop. I'd look into sourcing LX sway bars and hardware.. seeing if it's even available on the used market. If so.. maybe consider that swap.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd want perfectly corrosion-free KDSS hardware on a vehicle that has a lot of rust otherwise.

Dude, please take your rig to a competent shop. I know there are probably a few in your area or a short trip away. Don't let this turn into another dealer service nightmare story. Those dealer service clowns will make a mess of an already bad situation. Good luck sir

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, you are so much help. We are going with the full KDSS replacement from the dealer. I am going to slather it from end to end with some type of powerful protector. Is Cosmoline still a thing?
Yes, cosmoline is still sold. There are lots of other rust deterrent options on the market as well.

Good link!

There's a trade to safety for sure, but looks like the harder core 4Rs are benefitting from this delete mod off-road. Particularly for faster trail or washboard type roads that are relatively flat but with uneven smaller bumps side to side. I can see how KDSS would still be largely engaged in this use case, and not letting the suspension work as independently side to side.

Jeremy556 said:
Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3609643-post81.html
Of course, YMMV depending upon mods, but my experience: Felt like going from a shifter cart to a trophy truck.
With the KDSS front swaybar, at low speeds under 10mph everything was great, above that, bumps that hit both front wheels at the same time were fine, but as soon as there was any sort of washboard or any tiny bump that didn't hit both sides at exactly the same time, it was is if the front wheels were connected directly to the frame with no suspension at all. The ride was physically punishing, my front bumper was slamming into my fenders (with a huge 1" gap) all the time, and was actually tearing the vehicle slowly apart (stress cracks all over.)

Now with the front sway bar removed, on desert roads that I would have to air down to around 15psi and keep to about 25-30mph to avoid bumper hitting body, I can cruise down at 60+ mph at 30psi in complete comfort and my bumper hoops barely wiggle.

MountainBiker said:
Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3609762-post82.html
That fits with my experience. However, even under 10mph I get a lot of head toss, constantly hitting my head on the grab handle above the door. Articulation is fine with KDSS, but there seems to be a delay in response, so it is still very harsh on the 1-3" tall rocks or bumps when hit with one wheel. All this even with the KDSS wire unplugged!

I have a friend that sold his 2016 Trail/KDSS drive it, and he said my 2017 is much more harsh. Maybe somethings wrong with it, but like I said, articulation is actually very good, for a KDSS vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom