2013 GX owned for 2 hours. Help me get started! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just scored a great deal (as far as I know) on a GX.

2013 Premium (no monitors behind the seats), 148k, $17k. Has minor seat age, comes with 2x OEM seat covers ready to be installed.

Needs (~$1000)
  • Valve cover + spark.
  • Torn boot replace.
  • Front tire rotate and balance.
Fluids and tire rotation done a month ago.

Next
  • Seat protector for kids and dog.
  • Pedal Commander (arriving tomorrow).
  • LED interior lights?
  • Crossbars for roofrack I have (which ones to get?)

Need advice (if you see anything here that you have any experience with, please help!)
  • Automatic Transmission Cooler Install.
  • 12V power to back for freezer?
  • V8 can sound better... Is there an easy way to get some more rumble?
  • Paint protector/pinstriping prevention?
  • Dashcam, least obtrusive.
  • Front diff magnet plug?
  • GROM VLINE worth it?
This has been about 2-3 months worth of searching, false starts, money spent on carfax and inspections. I'm glad I'm done with that... For now.

PXL_20220914_171237700.jpg

Congrats on finally getting into one. I can help with a few things:

• 12V power to back for freezer? I just tapped a fuse at the front and ran power to the rear for my fridge. Currently it is on an unswitched fuse so it will run 24/7 but I also have a solar panel on the roof. I have run the fridge for 5 days while overlanding and the battery didn't hesitate. I have run the fridge for 3 days in the driveway without starting it and no problems (don't think I would let it go unstarted much more than that though). I will be installing a second battery in the rear and will wire it so it charges with the alt but will re-wire the solar to it rather than the starter.
  • V8 can sound better... Is there an easy way to get some more rumble? Magnaflow Overland Exhaust is I believe what they call it. Sounds great. it's hard for me to keep my foot out of it. :cool:
  • GROM VLINE worth it? I've had mine for almost a year and I would say the "bugginess" of it doesn't bother me at times but drives me bat**** crazy other times. If I had to do it again I would probably go another direction but I honestly don't know what that would be.
Hope that helps.

Not sure if you need a tranny cooler. Are you towing or excessive loads?
Regarding power to the rear. Myself and a bunch of others have run power to the little access panel door in the back drivers side that covers the bottle jack.
You can run (heavy gauge) wire back there with a fuse and put the plugs (cigarette lighter and USB) in the door panel. Simple and works great!
You can get an idea of what I'm talking about on my build here: Builds - R2M 2013 Lexus GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-lexus-gx460-overland-build.1104719/page-2
Start at Post #40.

Congrats on finally getting into one. I can help with a few things:

• 12V power to back for freezer? I just tapped a fuse at the front and ran power to the rear for my fridge. Currently it is on an unswitched fuse so it will run 24/7 but I also have a solar panel on the roof. I have run the fridge for 5 days while overlanding and the battery didn't hesitate. I have run the fridge for 3 days in the driveway without starting it and no problems (don't think I would let it go unstarted much more than that though). I will be installing a second battery in the rear and will wire it so it charges with the alt but will re-wire the solar to it rather than the starter.
  • V8 can sound better... Is there an easy way to get some more rumble? Magnaflow Overland Exhaust is I believe what they call it. Sounds great. it's hard for me to keep my foot out of it. :cool:
  • GROM VLINE worth it? I've had mine for almost a year and I would say the "bugginess" of it doesn't bother me at times but drives me bats*** crazy other times. If I had to do it again I would probably go another direction but I honestly don't know what that would be.
Hope that helps.
Awesome, just watched an install video for the Magnaflow today, looked fairly easy!

Okay, I need the freezer so I'll probably share my thoughts on my options here in a few days to see what I should do!

Not sure if you need a tranny cooler. Are you towing or excessive loads?
Regarding power to the rear. Myself and a bunch of others have run power to the little access panel door in the back drivers side that covers the bottle jack.
You can run (heavy gauge) wire back there with a fuse and put the plugs (cigarette lighter and USB) in the door panel. Simple and works great!
You can get an idea of what I'm talking about on my build here: Builds - R2M 2013 Lexus GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-lexus-gx460-overland-build.1104719/page-2
Start at Post #40.
I will be towing a very small cargo trailer, nothing too heavy.

Great, I'll check it out!

Reactions: r2m
I will be towing a very small cargo trailer, nothing too heavy.

Great, I'll check it out!

I pull my squaredrop camper (~1800lbs) for overlanding and have not seen the need for a t-cooler.

D81BACEC-A1D0-49B8-974C-8C02448D428A.jpeg

I pull my squaredrop camper (~1800lbs) for overlanding and have not seen the need for a t-cooler.

View attachment 3115427
Ah yes, I've seen your trailer progression!

And yes, I won't be towing anything that heavy.

How long is that trailer to give me some perspective? I would love a cargo trailer that can do trails that is at least 6 ft long.

You will be fine with a 6' trailer........I would take it out a couple times and monitor temps. Guarantee, unless you're doing nothing but pulling hard inclines constantly you won't notice any increase. The only time I had any issue (and I wasn't pulling the trailer) I was in a trail I should have stayed out of and had to use the crawl control for an extended period of time. The dash beeped at me, gave me some warning and I shut it down for about 15 min. to cool. Continued on as normal after that.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 7.56.55 AM.png

Just scored a great deal (as far as I know) on a GX.

2013 Premium (no monitors behind the seats), 148k, $17k. Has minor seat age, comes with 2x OEM seat covers ready to be installed.

Needs (~$1000)
  • Valve cover + spark.
  • Torn boot replace.
  • Front tire rotate and balance.
Fluids and tire rotation done a month ago.

Next
  • Seat protector for kids and dog.
  • Pedal Commander (arriving tomorrow).
  • LED interior lights?
  • Crossbars for roofrack I have (which ones to get?)

Need advice (if you see anything here that you have any experience with, please help!)
  • Automatic Transmission Cooler Install.
  • 12V power to back for freezer?
  • V8 can sound better... Is there an easy way to get some more rumble?
  • Paint protector/pinstriping prevention?
  • Dashcam, least obtrusive.
  • Front diff magnet plug?
  • GROM VLINE worth it?
This has been about 2-3 months worth of searching, false starts, money spent on carfax and inspections. I'm glad I'm done with that... For now.

View attachment 3114902
I have the Magnaflow Overland. It does provide some extra growl. I got it mainly to get the exhaust higher up so as not to catch on the trails. It works great for that.

For dashcam, I have a nexar. It pairs to your phone and uses it for storage of videos. Came with a VERY long ISB cord and an interior panel removal tool so you can tuck that cord out of sight.

I've seen more negative than positive for the grom vline. I'll stick with stock and use a phone mount.

I don't tow, so no advice on a transmission cooler. But 12 hours in 4 low in 118 degree heat and I never had issues.

I have a 2021 GX, so I already have a household plug in back

I have 3m ppf. It helps, but it all depends on your trails.

I have the Magnaflow Overland. It does provide some extra growl. I got it mainly to get the exhaust higher up so as not to catch on the trails. It works great for that.

For dashcam, I have a nexar. It pairs to your phone and uses it for storage of videos. Came with a VERY long ISB cord and an interior panel removal tool so you can tuck that cord out of sight.

I've seen more negative than positive for the grom vline. I'll stick with stock and use a phone mount.

I don't tow, so no advice on a transmission cooler. But 12 hours in 4 low in 118 degree heat and I never had issues.

I have a 2021 GX, so I already have a household plug in back

I have 3m ppf. It helps, but it all depends on your trails.

In reverse order:

How much was the 3m?

I have a 120V back there as well not a cigarette 12V though. I'll see where I can go with that.

VLine, my phone mounted seems okay for now as well, I'm going to proceed cautiously.

I thought that there may have been a dashcam that could power off the mirror. That would have been the best.

Good thinking re: position for the magnaflow. Not sure if I want to spend $700 for just more growl...

IMO..AT cooler is cheap insurance…will it prevent failure? nothing guaranteed but ATs are expensive. Cheap and easy to install…while I put in OEM ….3rd party setups are cheap. Also keep up on fluid maintenance. If one ever gets a warning about AT over temp on dash it means fluid has gone over 302 degrees

view url in a new window

1.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! As for LEDs here’s my setup. Post #2 with the example of the light output and post #3 with the links to what I used. After nearly two years no bulbs burned out and the light output is still as bright as day 1.

• GROM VLINE worth it? I've had mine for almost a year and I would say the "bugginess" of it doesn't bother me at times but drives me bats*** crazy other times. If I had to do it again I would probably go another direction but I honestly don't know what that would be.

I strongly suggest the Beat Sonic option. I reviewed it here. It's been over a year and I've experienced a glitch maybe 5 times (over approximately 17k miles, daily driver) all solved by unplugging phone and plugging back into USB in seconds.

Honestly, I don't think about the unit because it just works.

In reverse order:

How much was the 3m?

I have a 120V back there as well not a cigarette 12V though. I'll see where I can go with that.

VLine, my phone mounted seems okay for now as well, I'm going to proceed cautiously.

I thought that there may have been a dashcam that could power off the mirror. That would have been the best.

Good thinking re: position for the magnaflow. Not sure if I want to spend $700 for just more growl...
Exhaust: I put a ton of miles offroad. So getting the exhaust up and out of the way was my priority. It's not a performance exhaust. Butt dyno shows no difference. Unless you have a need case like me, I wouldn't bother.

As for the ppf, the dealership installed it and was negotiated into the price of the GX.

The magnaflo gave me unbearable drone. I’ll be going back to my stock OEM factory muffler and looking to silence the exhaust further with additional resonators. I’d rather be silent out in the wilderness than loud.
The "overland" cat-back, or the stand alone 11226 muffler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom