Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next time you drive for 15 min check the rear rotors for heat. Don’t ask me how I know. . .
Did you over tighten? Don’t tell me to not ask after peaking my interest nub.:rofl:

Thanks for that, that’s a really good way to check. Overtightened means brakes are engaged while driving I assume, even if it is just slightly? I can see that causing a lot of heat (extended braking). That’s my guess anyways.

I was adjusting the drum shoes so slightly different, but yes might have overcooked it a bit.

I was adjusting the drum shoes so slightly different, but yes might have overcooked it a bit.
This makes me wonder if adjusting it while car is on and testing with each rotation of adjustment, is the correct way to go? Should I park on a hill and tighten it just enough to hold the car there with just the e brake? And should I go until it’s just enough to hold it on an incline, or go a rotation or two past that for safe measures?

Seems my parameters are simple:
1. tight enough not to roll down incline when e brake is on
2. Loose enough not to cause Rotors to heat up a lot when I’m not applying brakes

Is there an official guide that Lexus mechanics follow for adjusting e brakes somewhere? Or should I just wing it and play it by ears and eyes. I also wonder if I should adjust both at the rear brakes as well as by center console. I assume if center console adjustment gets the job done, then there is no need to do rear adjustment?

My solar panel is here!!!!! Cant wait to unbox and try it out tomorrow! Just 1 more piece and I can begin my endless refrigeration experiments: a power bank that allows DC pass through, so I can charge bank with panel while bank charges car/fridge. From my long tests on stream I concluded that my IceCo TR averages less than 10W continuous, so even a 60w panel at 50% efficiency (30watts continuous) for 8 hours of sunlight a day is 240watt hours, which is enough to power it for good. A 100 watt panel should leave me with some to spare.

Going to use the cars built in battery voltage reader to monitor the battery while I charge it with panel for now, since it stays on as a part of accessories mode anyways. The bigger power bank later will also act as an inverter, house battery and charge controller in one, so that I can just leave things plugged in for good while panel is charging/plugged into shore power, without worrying about overcharging.

Very excited to get another piece of the puzzle! Will unbox and do initial testing tomorrow after I drain my Jackery 160 today.

image.jpg

Thanks for the advice, definitely overtightened the P brake, and would not have noticed last night without your advice. Drove less than 10 mins and rear rotor was very hot!! I turned it back down and will keep an eye on it. It’s about the same front and back now in terms of how hot the rotors are after 15 mins, so I assume that’s about where I want it. Always welcome a correction if I’m wrong, thanks again!

Last edited:
Update on the e brake. I initially Overtightened it, and so I went back and loosened the bolt under cup holders (played it safe and turned it way back). My e brakes are not able to hold the car and I’m okay with that until I figure out how to tighten it properly. I left it alone after loosening it and assume no issues since it is definitely not too tight.

However, today the ABS pump would not shut off and it drained my battery. I could not charge battery fast enough until I pulled the 50A fuse to the ABS pump. Now the fuse is back in and pump is off as normal, but I’m curious if this has anything to do with my e brake adjustment.

Anyways, I decided to look into adjusting it in the rear/the proper way. I assume procedure is same as the 100 series? Just line the little hole with bottom and adjust with flathead? If so, apparently you can do it without removing the wheel. Going to give it a shot when I have a floor jack (borrow it back from my uncle lol).

6AC27FE6-7022-4D81-B6B2-515645AA3513.png

F6D2FBFF-6A5A-4284-BCD9-73A5FE8BB09F.jpeg

I hope he is okay. I haven't seen his truck out lately...
Last login was over a month ago.
Can anyone text him or follow him on that switcher/twicher thing?

30 day video game binge?? Dang.
Kids these days.....

Last posts were solar panels and brakes. He is either off-grid or his brakes failed. 🤷‍♂️ 🤔

Last edited:
So just got done talking to him. He is all good. He's just playing his games. and streaming. but he's alive.

Tell him to get himself back over to mud.

We demand closure or a sequel!

Or a nice shrubbery.
He said he would try to get on this weekend and give us an update. So we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom