Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turned on car after battery died overnight (lights left on too long) and had check engine, 4 lo, center diff lock and check VSC lights come on (4 lo and diff lock flashing). Checked gas cap and checked button position to make sure it was in 4 hi, and drove for a bit (definitely can tell it was in 4hi) and all lights went away after 5 mins of driving.

So a battery being dead for too long can cause all that. She is starting right up now but I will plan on a battery within next month. As usual, I will be looking to fit the one with the highest capacity in the slot, while keeping it reasonably priced. What do you guys think is the best bang for my bucks for replacing the stock battery?

Turned on car after battery died overnight (lights left on too long) and had check engine, 4 lo, center diff lock and check VSC lights come on (4 lo and diff lock flashing). Checked gas cap and checked button position to make sure it was in 4 hi, and drove for a bit (definitely can tell it was in 4hi) and all lights went away after 5 mins of driving.

So a battery being dead for too long can cause all that. She is starting right up now but I will plan on a battery within next month. As usual, I will be looking to fit the one with the highest capacity in the slot, while keeping it reasonably priced. What do you guys think is the best bang for my bucks for replacing the stock battery?
A quality sealed lead acid 27F. Plenty here (including me) are wishing that we didn't experiment with AGM. You can put a larger battery in there, but you're going the solar gen/lion route, so no need.
And one dead event isn't necessarily the end, three or four, yeah.

A quality sealed lead acid 27F. Plenty here (including me) are wishing that we didn't experiment with AGM. You can put a larger battery in there, but you're going the solar gen/lion route, so no need.
And one dead event isn't necessarily the end, three or four, yeah.

Thank you very much for the advice Kind Sir, I will go back and reference when it is time.

Also, drawers this month, and I’m thinking the RC Cars and Parts alone probably should get a storage spot somewhere; Maybe the cars on top and parts inside a dedicated drawer. I’m racking up quite a few parts!

Got another donation today from a couple who lives in their van (Tim and Sherry)! This one is a Traxxas Rustler (Nitro Gas) that is missing quite a few parts, but all the major components are there. He even included an extra engine from an RC boat... and that thing is neat. I’ve never seen such a small gas engine in person, carb and all. Not sure how long before this one will be up and running, but it’s definitely a very interesting and I can’t wait to see both engines run!

Going to give it a good cleaning this week and figure out what our missing parts are. From there I look forward to strapping a live camera to this baby at some point. This seems like a Perfect candidate for a “follow-me” mod when on pavement, and Tofu (the rock crawler) will be our “follower” off the pavement. They will serve many other uses as well; including surveillance, checking out undercarriage, and serving as “off-road” cameras/my spotter (since I am traveling solo), and etc.

After both the street Car and the Off-Road truck has been fine tuned, I want to add custom bodies; just need to find someone with a 3D printer to print me 2 LX shells! The RC Camera Cars will be smaller versions of the LX, Which is a big camera car. This will be a great way to test and preview different paint colors/schemes before sticking it on the big girl!

25A5FA77-E8E5-41BA-BC6E-93395DD7EE60.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’m going to dedicate this weekend to giving her a good cleaning. Any advice on removing front seats? Any major difference from 2nd row seats? Any cable I need to watch out for?

I normally wing it but since I plan on actually putting these seats back, then it’s probably good to go in with a plan.

I’m going to dedicate this weekend to giving her a good cleaning. Any advice on removing front seats? Any major difference from 2nd row seats? Any cable I need to watch out for?

I normally wing it but since I plan on actually putting these seats back, then it’s probably good to go in with a plan.
Put it forward, remove the rear bolts. Push it back, remove the front bolts. Put it all the way forward, all the way vertical, and all the way up. Remove the headrest before putting vertical.
Unplug the battery negative for 5 min.
Unplug the airbag and other two connectors.
Lift and clean the seat out the front door.
If you're just vacuuming, you can probably tilt it back and vacuum under . . . without pulling out.
It's a tight fit and will rub the steering wheel. I suggest you tape or wrap the steering wheel, otherwise it'll scuff the leather from pressure. Don't ask me how I know.

You can plug the battery back in after pulling the seat . . .but disconnect again for 5 min before putting it back in.

Put it forward, remove the rear bolts. Push it back, remove the front bolts. Put it all the way forward, all the way vertical, and all the way up. Remove the headrest before putting vertical.
Unplug the battery negative for 5 min.
Unplug the airbag and other two connectors.
Lift and clean the seat out the front door.
If you're just vacuuming, you can probably tilt it back and vacuum under . . . without pulling out.
It's a tight fit and will rub the steering wheel. I suggest you tape or wrap the steering wheel, otherwise it'll scuff the leather from pressure. Don't ask me how I know.

You can plug the battery back in after pulling the seat . . .but disconnect again for 5 min before putting it back in.

“Don’t ask me how I know”.

This is going to be a common phrase on my stream now. I won’t judge if you don’t! I was actually going to tag you because I remember the project you did replacing the amp, so figured you’d “know”; I don’t need to ask lol. Thank you for the instructions.

And yes, I will be referencing your post as They are definitely coming out. Between all the coffee, squished bananas (Tiger laying on center console with 3 bananas on top), cigarette butts, lighters, change, pens, dog hair, coffee and oh God Maybe I shouldn’t stream this; but I wouldn’t want to rob others of the satisfying footage of her transformation from HoboTruck back to something worthy of chauffeuring an important passenger around!

I set aside the entire weekend to account for my... pace. Can’t wait to be on the other side!

Not going to lie, I’m getting pretty spoiled out here.

Electricity - Check (generator is far enough for me to hear the birds)
Air conditioning - Check
Internet - Check
Coffee and smokes - check
Fridge - Check
Gas station within walking distance - Check
Bug-free work area, with AC! - Check
Food and water - Check
Inside Place to cook - Check
Light - Check (led light strip in awning room)
Peace and Quiet - Check
Safe place for Tiger to nap - Check
Reliable Truck for when it’s time to pack up and leave - CHECK!

I’m sure I’m forgetting quite a few things, but you get the idea! I feel like everything else is just icing on the cake from here.

6E6041C9-7211-4592-AD3E-A3961A7A4E49.jpeg

B121597A-6FD2-4335-9F2F-741D6D056CF6.jpeg

CCD03D35-6F60-4964-BDB2-5C821622DA13.jpeg

181ECC75-6259-43A4-91B1-C1B32130704C.jpeg

image.jpg

I think a awning quick disconnect bracket With 2 extra poles will come eventually, so the awning can stand on its own and not attached to car, but for now I can just inch my way away from the awning room without having to take everything out and packing it up.

I got mail to pick up, clothes to wash, gas cans to refill and gotta stop by anytime Fitness for a shower Then I’m going to reverse this process to reattach awning room.

Pull awning room out a little, angle poles, move car forward to straighten poles. Rinse and repeat til awning room is free. No need to remove the stakes holding the room in place!

65984661-1F4A-4B60-90EA-53F41A454DEB.jpeg

A8138224-63DC-4797-9F98-41F8B5639306.jpeg

C65CF645-3FF7-4D32-976A-9393AA32B755.jpeg

74F32530-7E54-45A5-97BA-9306D3172192.jpeg

Ironman sells those awning brackets, if you haven't found them yet. Don't recall if it came with poles . . .

Ironman sells those awning brackets, if you haven't found them yet. Don't recall if it came with poles . . .
Yeah I did peek at that from the nice group sale going on, that i can no longer find! I think the extra poles I can get from ARB, maybe IronMan. Definitely have to do something to cut down on the packing/unpacking for trips when i plan on coming back to camp, especially in this heat!

If you're taking on the adventure of living out of the LC while traveling. Looking at your camp site, and your dog I see chiggers, ticks, and fleas in your near future. Eventually they will be laying eggs inside your Toyota. Rocky mountain spotted fever and lymes disease are carried by ticks can be deadly. Fleas and chiggers are just annoying. Permethrin is probably the best to prevent this. It is a broad based insect repellant and it kills them as well. Concentrate can be bought at tractor supply: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ivestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz?cm_vc=-10005 It will not smell after it is dry. I have sprayed carpet with no stains or damage, but you should do a spot test before spraying on your interior/upholstery. There will be mixing instructions to include low concentration mixes for spraying on animals. The military sprays permethrin on uniforms. It is relatively safe, but not tested for/recomended for spraying on peoples skin. After treating the car with a higher concentration(by the instructions) keep a trigger bottle with a lower concentration to spray the grass at your campsite. You'll be able to wear shorts and sandles without being eaten alive by chiggers, mosquitos, gnats etc.. Spray it on the grass and weeds directly around your vehicle before you start setting up camp.

If you're taking on the adventure of living out of the LC while traveling. Looking at your camp site, and your dog I see chiggers, ticks, and fleas in your near future. Eventually they will be laying eggs inside your Toyota. Rocky mountain spotted fever and lymes disease are carried by ticks can be deadly. Fleas and chiggers are just annoying. Permethrin is probably the best to prevent this. It is a broad based insect repellant and it kills them as well. Concentrate can be bought at tractor supply: Gordon's Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray, 32 oz. at Tractor Supply Co. It will not smell after it is dry. I have sprayed carpet with no stains or damage, but you should do a spot test before spraying on your interior/upholstery. There will be mixing instructions to include low concentration mixes for spraying on animals. The military sprays permethrin on uniforms. It is relatively safe, but not tested for/recomended for spraying on peoples skin. After treating the car with a higher concentration(by the instructions) keep a trigger bottle with a lower concentration to spray the grass at your campsite. You'll be able to wear shorts and sandles without being eaten alive by chiggers, mosquitos, gnats etc.. Spray it on the grass and weeds directly around your vehicle before you start setting up camp.

Much appreciated brother, and this is something I’ve been thinking about but haven’t figured out how best to deal with it. I was hoping for a solution that doesn’t require refills or sprays, but not sure if there is any yet.

Ive had to Take everything out and flea bomb the car once Already, got plenty of scars on my leg to show for it. Tiger is on Bravecto which keeps them off off him but doesn’t do me any good lol. Will look into it next time I am am at tractor supply.

And this is probably about the riskiest campsite I use because it’s hard to find A good one in my Area, And the humidity makes it worse, but once I start covering more distance I plan on picking cleaner looking spots as well.

On this note, the awning room, vacuum and light strip had been a lifesaver! the few bugs that make it in just fly into the light strip and I vacuum them up. Mostly mosquitoes and small bugs, and the butterflies/bigger things I grab with a towel and release it back outside. Mosquitoes get the vacuum for sure though.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I may have said it before, but this is pretty cool what you're able to do. An adventure I wish I could've undertaken in my youth. Carry on .
Sorry I was distracted and meant to reply to this, but I really appreciate the kind words brother. Thanks for the soul food!

Going to take packing into consideration when unpacking next time, and will also pick spots that are more clean and dry. Forgot before pictures from inside the awning room, but I basically made myself wayyy too comfortable in there. My friend came in and was like “This is Hotel Status” LOL.

This is why I like camping right where pavement ends, so I can camp on the clean pavement but still get a nice view. Will also stop by tractor supply to pick up some permethrin to keep camp area free of bugs. I vacuumed everything before putting it back into car from awning room, and vacuum the awning room inside and out (took a couple hours). Thanks again @robmobile73 , between the AC, generator and the Permathrin, your advice has been a great help out here.

Also Got a silver star today, and I changed my name to SharpeCat To match my Twitch! As much as I like DangCat because it’s a cool name, I realized a long time ago that I was never a dang cat (last name Dang, middle name Cat). Dang is my biological dads last name, and he was never really a part of my life. If I do take anyone’s last name, it should be my moms first, then my “stepdad” second (Ladies first!), which would make me a “Bach-Jones” Cat. My parents are humble so they just want me to pay it forward, and so I chose my Future wife’s last name instead; SharpeCat sounds much cooler than Bach-Jones Cat (sorry mom and dad). I just gotta figure out how to win her over first, but that’s a story for another day.

I went ahead and emailed ARB to see if any of their quick release bracket kits will fit my current mounting setup (ARB L bracket and Yakima mighty mounts on stock roof rack), and will be ordering a set if they do. If not maybe I’ll try the Ironman Setup. I would consider it a necessity at this point, even with my minimalist setup. This will end up saving me hundreds if not thousands of hours in the long run!

Anyways, got a LC to check out tomorrow for Mud, so I will just parking lot camp tonight (no awning room), before looking for the next spot to spend next week in. Also got my gearbox in so I’m excited to get Tofu, the RCRCCT (remote controlled rock crawling camera truck), back on the road! Hopefully I can get it done and tested today so I can use it to inspect the LC undercarriage tomorrow!

E8789909-D708-4283-8728-EBBFEB2F7155.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the more entertaining threads I've seen here on MUD. Thanks for sharing it all.

I know we are LC people here, but man, a used RV would have allowed you to already be traveling the country, in much better comfort, with far less headaches and thinking, and probably for less money. You'd have space for everything out of the weather and locked up, water, a shower and toilet, and a bed for you and your dog.

If your goal really is to live in your vehicle and travel, which I understand and want to do someday.

I'll keep an eye out for you around the triangle.

One of the more entertaining threads I've seen here on MUD. Thanks for sharing it all.

I know we are LC people here, but man, a used RV would have allowed you to already be traveling the country, in much better comfort, with far less headaches and thinking, and probably for less money. You'd have space for everything out of the weather and locked up, water, a shower and toilet, and a bed for you and your dog.

If your goal really is to live in your vehicle and travel, which I understand and want to do someday.

I'll keep an eye out for you around the triangle.

Thanks for the kind words brother, i very much appreciate it! And you can't miss me, as i am the only guy in the area with a Window AC sticking out his window XD! I've gotten a lot of compliments, and even had 2 sheriffs pull up to me in downtown raleigh to let me know how clever it was. Most of the time it is people who want to do something similar, as in take on an adventure and live on the road for a bit, who stop to compliment the setup.

And i did think about the RV route for a while, but the truth is i haven't began my travels for other reasons that are now delayed by the COVID. I was supposed to graduate a week after stay-at-home orders, and i was supposed to get off probation in March for my DWI from 3.5 years ago. In addition to that they revoked my license because of hand sanitizer triggering my interlock device (i quit drinking over 3 years ago). I am able to drive only because i documented the process and can prove to the officers that my license was wrongly revoked, and that i never got a window for appeal because of mail arriving weeks late. Now everything keeps getting delayed and i am stuck in limbo. I'm about to start documenting my journey to deal with all of this, and if it fails i will at least have documentation to prove that it is the fault of the State and not mine. Then i would just go even if they don't give me my license back/let me off probation. I'm tired of waiting for courts to reopen and waiting on the DMV commissioner office to wait on the Governer's office to wait on another office to grant permission down the line, so that they can simply extend my appeals window and let me document the hand sanitizer incidents that lead to this.

Anyways, my point is that when i REALLY begin traveling, that people will see why it HAD to be an LC. Just keep an eye on where i go, and after 3 years you tell me if there is any other car that could've reliably gotten me to the same places and back, for the same costs. The fact that it only takes up half a container for shipping, saves me quite a bit when crossing several oceans!

I also want to sleep on mountain tops, at the edge of the water, and occasionally pave my own paths. I also want something i can fix myself, and something that i can get parts for when traveling outside of the US, if needed. To me the LC/LX won due to Global Reliability, as well as for capability without spending a fortune (AHC/Low LX Prices FTW). In the US i can drive anything and get it fixed, but when traveling across several continents, it has to be a Toyota unless i want to wait weeks/months for parts.

Last edited:
I hear ya....that makes it a bit more clearer.
Graduate college?
I'd ditch the AHC when traveling the world.

Also, people have circumnavigated the world in VW bugs and Volvo 240s....so you do you.

Can't wait to see your rig around.

Thanks brother. And No it was to get my Nail Tech license so I could easily find work while traveling, or at least that was the plan pre COVID. I could’ve worked just weekends at almost any salon, and make enough to pay for all my travels, but now that is no longer the case/an option.

I don’t doubt that with enough determination, that you can circle the globe in just about anything; I’ve seen it done on a bicycle. I don’t imagine me and tiger and our stuff can fit on a bicycle though, or a VW bug. Before size comes into play there is the capability factor as well, I really want to explore the back roads and half the time will be off pavement.

Ditching AHC is not an option as I cannot afford to replace it at the moment, and I really like the AHC. It’s perfect for going in and out of civilization, while blending/performing well in both worlds. When it fails I will consider swapping, depending what makes more sense get the time and what’s available around me.

The LX was just a perfect combination of capability, reliability and affordability (and size and comfort). It also is stealthy when I want to be, since no one expects a Hobo inside a $100k Lexus.

I can’t imagine another vehicle for $20k or under that can take me all the places I want to go and back, and that will do so without much struggle along the way. The fact that AHC saves me thousands in suspension upgrades alone is a lot. I can just slap 34s on it and take those thousands and spend it on living costs.

I can honestly take any car you throw at me for 20k or under and tell you why the LX is a better fit for me, meaning I did spend a lot of time thinking about this. To this day I still feel like I hit a small lottery when I took it home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom