Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks like one seriously well-built camper sprinter you got there! Judging from what I’ve seen, you sir, are a man of good taste.

And that reminds me I either need a bigger table or a smaller grill, likely both. My 2 burner stove currently takes up the entire Cabela’s table lol. I like that it’s small enough to tuck behind/lean against the passenger seat, but at some point I will look into something with more surface area.

I’m going to leave this here then find the right place to put it in classifieds to hopefully save others money as well. This seems to be a great camp cooking system/compact solution.

I missed the sale due to waiting on my check to clear, but luckily when I called in I was informed that they always honor sales for a day after it expires. It was about 344 after taxes which is 15% off. Apparently a lot of people took advantage of the sale, so it is back ordered until may 21st.

The important part is that you have until the end of today to secure the sale price.

I went ahead and ordered and can’t wait to get mine!

0F3E87CB-D7EE-4B75-B5DD-BC4FA189A5B1.png

A9FB9746-BB92-46E4-BAAC-78102528731C.png

214353A1-C066-456E-B99B-DDAEBA204007.png

50471DA2-F754-4629-A895-EB6AE661A72A.png

Waiting on my friend to join me before I go 2 miles further down to get to the lake. Surprisingly I drove past some sort of office along this trail... I’m about half a mile in and almost got stuck over a small amount of mud because I didn’t respect it enough to switch to 4 low and manual, so it was in 4high and high gear and that got me nowhere but down. I dug half a foot in like 10 seconds lol.

Just found this along a dirt road that had some sort of business off of it.

I’m hiding in the shade and going to laugh if my friend drives right past me (trail is to my left). He is bringing a GX460 so I’m very excited to see what kind of lake view we get at the end of this stretch.

52FA634E-5039-4B2B-B3E1-3D1A7136BCCD.jpeg

F6A3E407-FC05-44AF-99AF-6D00720952EE.jpeg

762055F2-05D9-40E1-9786-6E3CC30FDFC1.jpeg

616CB368-6C5A-403B-8FF7-122BB718F1E9.jpeg

Well we did not make it very far before:

I knew I would have to address the departure angles at some point, but didn’t think it would happen so soon.

D2F3D5D0-B12D-40D9-8771-FCE58067543F.jpeg
BF78D8CA-BC9C-4AE3-8176-3E911D43F5AE.jpeg

Long term plan is likely to swap to the Ultimate Mx Hauler so I can easily drop the bike anywhere, then drop the bike, tuck the carrier and RakAttach in the back then drive the car and ride the bike up separately. Either that or keep the carrier and unload the bike the hard way, but that’s going to get old quick and not easy for a small person to do. This is a little tedious but if it was the only way to cross then im for it, unless someone has a better solution. That still beats getting stuck or stranded.

Even before that I got my ass kicked by the softest mud I’ve seen, and i did not see it coming at all. I was going slow trying to avoid branches and stuff and sank before I knew it.

We had to turn around because I didn’t feel like unloading the bike and putting away the carrier today, that and we walked a bit ahead to discover that a bumper with a bull bar is likely needed.

All in all I’m happy with the results even though we didn’t even get close to the lake. We didn’t get stuck and I learned a little more about the limits of this thing, and also did not break anything!

Only downside is no lakefront view yet, but nothing worthy ever comes easy. One day I’m going to catch a fish from the back of the car and enjoy the beautiful view while I cook and eat it, and I just gotta make it there first!

91131CE3-975F-4B8E-9AF8-896BF27EB715.jpeg

12327E34-A6CB-4F1B-A63D-7E64B8F5B197.jpeg

8833A424-3CB5-4DF8-9D60-FB29945A216C.jpeg

Might be time to think on a more aggressive tire too? I had good luck with some 2/3rd worn 275/65r18 (common size on a lot of pickup trucks, including Tundra ) $200 for four 18s with those 8/32nd Duratracs off Craigslist and I ran off another 2/32 while I decided on a longer term plan

Might be time to think on a more aggressive tire too? I had good luck with some 2/3rd worn 275/65r18 (common size on a lot of pickup trucks, including Tundra ) $200 for four 18s with those 8/32nd Duratracs off Craigslist and I ran off another 2/32 while I decided on a longer term plan

It definitely is time for that, and to be honest I think about that more often than anything else besides the well being of Tiger (hence the awning and the endless breeze and o2cool fans) and baselining maintenance (brakes oil and etc). That was the first thing I said to my friend today after sinking in the mud was, “Time for All Terrains”.

The reason I don’t bring it up is because it is constantly on my mind but I have not figured out the route I need to take, and I don’t want to sound like a broken record. I think the biggest thing holding me back is the fact that I have very little clue what to do with my current set of rims and tires. If it wasn’t for having a lot of tread left then my decision would be easy. It’s similar to my dilemma with drawers but more of a necessity than drawers; the problem is I see a lot of good in drawers, but at the same time what am I going to do with some perfectly good third row seats if I take them out? At least with rims and tires I can eventually find a buyer but rip the third row if I remove that.

Another concern is figuring how I could swap over the TPMS sensors to keep cost minimal. I didn’t bring my floor jack with me so I have to figure out how to do that in a cost efficient way (remove tires). If I physically move the sensors then do I need to do any reprogramming? Or should I look specifically for ones with TPMS sensors, and do I need tech stream Cable and software to program the new sensors? Or will the car just automatically detect the closest sensors and program them?

I think I will go ahead and post the rims, tires and ruckus for sale this week, to go ahead and start the process of upgrading to all terrains and to a dirt bike (street legal). Time to tackle the shoes on both the 2 and 4-wheel fronts!

Thanks for the reminder and for keeping me on track.

Soft mud might have conquered any tire. I know you’re trying to reduce expense, but perhaps a small storage unit:could address several of these issues? A 5x5 might be something like $15/math. I’m not a long term fan of storage, but go in with an exit strategy and that is different.

Soft mud might have conquered any tire. I know you’re trying to reduce expense, but perhaps a small storage unit:could address several of these issues? A 5x5 might be something like $15/math. I’m not a long term fan of storage, but go in with an exit strategy and that is different.

I have a few friends who have storage units, and my parents have a warehouse I can use if needed.

I am definitely following your advice and will keep an eye on Craigslist. I have a list of keywords I plug in every day anyways; like Engel, Dometic, ARB, Enduro, Dual Sports and etc, and will add some to help look for rims and tires.

I will gladly take recommendations for keywords to plug in. Other I will just poke around with “tundra rims”,“all terrains”, “AT” “33” “33s” “275/65/18” and slightly bigger sizes, and go from there.

Hmmmm... 275/65/20. That’s 34 inches and fits on my rims. If new I would think trimming is needed but used? Wish there was a tire size database/guide with more LXs On it. I’ve seen the one here and it’s mostly LCs.

@grinchy what do you think? Should I cap it out at 33s?

Hmmmm... 275/65/20. That’s 34 inches and fits on my rims. If new I would think trimming is needed but used? Wish there was a tire size database/guide with more LXs On it. I’ve seen the one here and it’s mostly LCs.

Those will fit with a 3/4 or 1” spacer. Some Trimming but probably not Metalwork required. You’ll lose some drive ability without gears, but many do it by running in etc power mode all the time. Your mileage will go down.

the real question is are they aggressive enough tread to Meet your needs?

Those will fit with a 3/4 or 1” spacer. Some Trimming but probably not Metalwork required. You’ll lose some drive ability without gears, but many do it by running in etc power mode all the time. Your mileage will go down.

I run in ETC power all the time now, since I figured I out it only kicks in if you really gas it. So I can go easy on gas and it will still drive like normal and shift in low rpms, while still having access to the extra power when I feel like really gassing it. Gears would be nice but I can learn to live without them. Long term I think I will go 33s anyways so i can likely get away with no gears. I realize there are other factors and I will reassess as needed.

I also spend so much time idling that I gave up on my mpg anyways, unless gas goes back up significantly.

I think I “want” something more aggressive, but I think when considering that these give me more clearance on top of better tread, that for about 250 that it might be worth the price to buy me time to get the long term done right.

With that said, it was the first post I found and that rarely ever is the “one”. I just wanted to share it to get your advice on size, and thank you for clearing that up. I don’t mind spacers and some trimming but definitely not chopping any body mounts here.

I'm getting 8-10 mpg with 35's, stock gears, and etc power.
Also, I didn't need spacers with 33's, but yes with 35's

@radman I know it’s hypocritical to ask this from you, but could you please link your build thread in your signature? Or here. I can find grinchys easily but not yours. It looks great from the thumbnail in your profile picture.

Thanks for the input as well, that makes me more comfortable inquiring about 34s. Btw I think the ones I listed are 34s (according to quick google search), which is why he said spacers. The thing is they are also used so I would subtract a little height for that. They don’t look very aggressive at all for all terrains but if you consider my low profile street tires (31 in), then this is still a decent upgrade in terms of aggressiveness.

What brand of spacers do you guys use? Feel free to link!

@radman I know it’s hypocritical to ask this from you, but could you please link your build thread in your signature? Or here. I can find grinchys easily but not yours. It looks great from the thumbnail in your profile picture.

Thanks for the input as well, that makes me more comfortable inquiring about 34s. Btw I think the ones I listed are 34s (according to quick google search), which is why he said spacers. The thing is they are also used so I would subtract a little height for that. They don’t look very aggressive at all for all terrains but if you consider my low profile street tires (31 in), then this is still a decent upgrade in terms of aggressiveness.

What brand of spacers do you guys use? Feel free to link!

Why would it be hypocritical to ask? I don't have a build thread yet, but may start one once my bumpers arrive. Signatures don't show up on mobile, but you can see it when viewed from a pc. Here it is:

2015 LX570, 305/70/18 KO2s, BBS pro, 1.25" Spidertrax, 24 LRA, ARB Twin, sensor lift, Dual Optima 34 Yellow, Prinsu, 40" Ridgid Adapt

Spidertrax WHS023 Wheel Spacer Amazon product ASIN B00JBJ49I0

Why would it be hypocritical to ask? I don't have a build thread yet, but may start one once my bumpers arrive. Signatures don't show up on mobile, but you can see it when viewed from a pc. Here it is:

2015 LX570, 305/70/18 KO2s, BBS pro, 1.25" Spidertrax, 24 LRA, ARB Twin, sensor lift, Dual Optima 34 Yellow, Prinsu, 40" Ridgid Adapt

Spidertrax WHS023 Wheel Spacer Amazon product ASIN B00JBJ49I0

Ahhh so I can’t see on mobile. It’s hypocritical because I’m asking someone to do something I haven’t done myself lol. Thanks bud.

Ahhh so I can’t see on mobile. It’s hypocritical because I’m asking someone to do something I haven’t done myself lol. Thanks bud.
I am skeptical that 34" will clear the UCA. I had the 275/65r18 (32.5ish) and that was getting close. It was a particularly square profile (duratracs) so maybe another brand would be okay.
I agree that for $250 we're deep in try it out land. You can probably flip em for the same price if they don't work.
TPMS will transfer no problem, and isn't an issue if you're using same rims.
Mounting adds up though probably $100 a set or so.

I'm running 275/65r20 Falken Wildpeak AT3's on my 2011 LX with .75 inch spacers. Had to do a pretty good amount of trimming to get these to fit. I believe they rub the UCA occasionally on some left turns that are at a particular incline. Definitely noticed the difference on acceleration with the bigger tires and made the braking more spongy. I'm fairly satisfied with them and the limited off roading I've done and overall daily driving. I'm definitely gunning for going to 17's or 18's next though. I'm all over the map on how long I plan on keeping it depending on long term plans.

I'm running 275/65r20 Falken Wildpeak AT3's on my 2011 LX with .75 inch spacers. Had to do a pretty good amount of trimming to get these to fit. I believe they rub the UCA occasionally on some left turns that are at a particular incline. Definitely noticed the difference on acceleration with the bigger tires and made the braking more spongy. I'm fairly satisfied with them and the limited off roading I've done and overall daily driving. I'm definitely gunning for going to 17's or 18's next though. I'm all over the map on how long I plan on keeping it depending on long term plans.

That’s insightful, thank you for sharing. Long run I plan on going down to 18 as well; More sidewall and cheaper tires. I planned on riding out these street tires and go straight to long plan, but for the right deal and because these street tires have so much life left... I am considering something to bridge the gap.

I think I will target specifically for 33s for 20s and then 33s with rims included for 18s. If I’m unsure of how long I will ride on 34s for then I don’t want to apply permanent trims to accommodate temporary tires.

And @grinchy I think 100 bucks is enough for me to reconsider slapping on temporary solutions. I think I will just go for something I plan on keeping and take my time selling my rims and tires, to recover some of the higher costs of doing so.

On a different note, my remote battery is almost completely dead and for some reason I considered having a shop replace it. I’ve never replaced one on a remote before and didn’t think about how simple it is. Turns out the key is used to pop the key housing open to access the battery. 5 bucks for a new battery and 30 seconds of my time. Would’ve taken longer to call a shop lol.

I too have my blonde moments. No offense, Blondies!

DBE7F618-48A8-4C0C-8EF2-E058712F0C2A.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Didn’t feel like making another thread for such a minor thing, but has anyone ever had their High Mode display as neutral?

I tried turning the car off and back on but it still displayed H as N. I left it alone, checked an hour later and it was properly displaying H. No idea what could have caused or fixed it.

The low MPG is the result of me spending a lot of time idling while parked.

Happens to me all the time in my '15. Typically when I'm stopped and will change to Hi if I start moving.

Happens to me all the time in my '15. Typically when I'm stopped and will change to Hi if I start moving.

That’s exactly what happened a few times to me as well, typically when I am parked on an incline. Like @grinchy said, it’s likely the auto leveling. Good to know it’s normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom