2006 GX470 Sport - from Chicago (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.

Been lurking here for a long time but finally decided to join. Always preferred forums to Facebook!

I've got a 2006 GX470 Sport. It's been in the family since new. Currently has 106k miles. Pretty stock minus some Method 704s and Falken Wildpeaks in 265/70 size.

Did the GX460 brake upgrade on it. Did TB/WP, radiator, changed all the fluids, greased the driveshaft, built a sleeping platform, etc. All thanks to the info on here! Last summer I was also able to replace my AC evaporator and heater cores.

Recently took a trip to Colorado from Chicago and am hooked more than ever. Can't wait to do another one.

Have a weird tinny clunk coming from up front, and a steady KDSS light. Being a Chicago truck all its life means it's pretty rusty too, but no holes.... yet.....

Future plans are a 2 inch comfort Dobs Nitro lift, rust treatment, trying to solve the KDSS light, maybe a dash replacement, and some kind of roof storage solution.
tempImagefxlsqg.jpg

tempImagekJVwfq.jpg

tempImageA1GScE.jpg

tempImageH3VG2m.jpg

tempImageGkXJVS.jpg

Your truck is very nice. I bet just your harness is corroded since the light just came on. Take the cover off and take a look. I let mine go for a couple of years before I fixed it and that’s why it was so bad.

Welcome!

on your kdss issues, search this forum, theres ben a few recent threads on them.
nice looking truck.

Well guys I got a techstream and I'm still definitely new to it and to using it but I was able to get into the KDSS part of it and find out I have 3 codes:
C1777 (Steering Sensor Signal)
C1831 (Accumulator Solenoid Upside)
C1832 (Accumulator Solenoid downside)

Tried to test the solenoids and listen for the clicks as I've read here but no dice. Will keep searching!

More likely than not your harness is corroded. I would get under the vehicle and take the cover off. Take a look at the harness. In my case corrosion damaged that area first.

Wire corrosion is very likely for the solenoid code.
Screenshot_20210828-104257.jpg

Steering angle are used by air suspension controller and stability control. You don't have brake code so this might be strictly the connection to the air suspension ecu.
Screenshot_20210828-104211.jpg

If you are in GXOR Facebook page, there is a full repair manual and electrical manual for 05 GX. That would be very helpful to troubleshoot this.

Thanks for your pointers guys. I removed the cover and as feared, the brain box and wiring harness are absolutely annihilated.

I stuck some die-electric grease in there are a joke to myself, but I'm not sure if it is worth it to try and fix this system. Might just pull the plug in the rear of truck to disable the light. It definitely has a lot of body roll with the KDSS disabled, but I went through Imogene and Ophir pass with no issues. The car is a pavement queen most of the time.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

It doesn’t look too bad to me. Unscrew the 4 toed bolts and take the plastic cover off. There are some threads someone sent me from some Russian repair places fixing these. The harness also needs to be rebuilt.
I’m my case I was able to source a used unit from Benzene auto parts for 150. Well worth the time and effort. There’s a big difference in handling.
B6E2C8BE-CCED-4745-9200-4F6704E78E7A.jpeg

CD1F6018-2214-45F5-A137-39949C569207.jpeg

At that price it is worth a look! What would that part be called?

My only fear is trying to bleed the system myself so I want to avoid opening it up. But I can also see how it is inevitable in the future of this thing's ownership.

I would take the black cover off and see how the electricals look. You may be able to by a used unit and swap those over and rebuild your harness.

I’m my case I had let this go too long and the system was leaking fluid. I had to replace the unit but the bleeding process is relatively easy as long as you follow all the steps. After the repair there is a night and day difference in the handling.

if you lived in Pittsburgh I would come over and help you out.

Hey Edes300!

I've been traveling a lot for work so I am just now coming back to this. I reached out to Benzene with no luck. Can't really find this part anywhere but I am searching everywhere I can think of. I wonder if it can interchange with the newer KDSS stuff.

Do you have a link for the harness rebuild kit you used by chance? Might as well start there.

car-part.com has all auto salvage yards in the county and you can search for a specific part.

Bought it on eBay. Only problem is they give you exactly 4 connectors so you have to get it right the first time. Needs a specific crimping tool as well.

05658355-7630-4352-B410-CF6955F6DE25.png

a steady KDSS light

Hey – me too. Need to begin to address that one soon.

I'm also in Chicago, also have a silver sport model (2007) with 109k mi. Stock for now as it's our only vehicle. Will eventually move in this type of direction.

Wondering if you have a shop you prefer for these in the area? I haven't done any wrenching yet, and need to learn, but don't really have a go-to in Chicagoland.

Thank you Edes!

Raustin, where in Chicago are you? I am on the northwest side near Harlem and Addison. I did everything to it so far myself.

A lot of stuff is pretty easy to tackle yourself depending on what it is of course.

Got put on a 10 day quarantine due to COVID exposure, figured what better to do than attack the rust on this thing.

I did find one frame hole, but it's a baby. I am definitely going to look into extending the AC drain as it seems to drip all along and sometimes even into the frame.

Overall, the frame is a lot more solid than I expected. I do need to remove the rear bumper and see what horrors await me back there. Nonetheless, I think I still have many years of life and adventures to be had with this GX. I used a mix of wire brushes and cutoff wheels with wire wheels to take off the scale. A lot of places that looked super rusty showed silver steel after a few seconds with the wire wheel. I then cleaned the frame with a prep spray I got from a local body shop and then covered it in rust reformer. In a few days I'll come back and give her another coat then absolutely annihilate the inside of the frame with Fluid Film.

I've also managed to find a KDSS module through Benzeen Auto parts and ordered some of those connector rebuild kits (thank you so much Edes!). Hoping to solve the KDSS issues and see how it feels before deciding to bite the bullet and lift it. Goal is to lift the car and get the KDSS working for under $2500 which may be tight but doable.

I plan to order a raked 2 inch Dobinson's Nitro lift kit in comfort spec, and get the freedom off road UPCs and order lower control arm bushings and ball joints to press into my KDSS lowers. I hope it'll significantly improve the ride quality. Right now it seems to be a weird mix of stiff but under dampened. I've got a camping trip planned for next weekend, probably won't involve very much off roading but excited nonetheless. The lift I think I'll get sometime around Thanksgiving or Black Friday unless I get bored and just bite the bullet.

I also want to ditch the side steps but may wait until after the lift.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.32.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.31.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.31.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.38.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.38.45 PM.png

vive
Thank you Edes!

Raustin, where in Chicago are you? I am on the northwest side near Harlem and Addison. I did everything to it so far myself.

A lot of stuff is pretty easy to tackle yourself depending on what it is of course.

I'm in Lincoln Square – Western & Montrose.

Nice that you're doing it all yourself. I need to learn this stuff :)

Raustin, I recommend starting with some basic tools, and the FB group has the whole repair manual which is awesome!

Took a camping trip this past weekend to Michigan, and also decided to remove the cover on my accumulator assembly. It was FILLED with rust dust and crud. I hope I can swap the electronics from the used unit I was able to find and clean it all up with a wire brush on a Dremel and avoid opening the system.

woods.jpg

camp.jpg

rust.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.43.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.43.55 AM.png

Raustin, I recommend starting with some basic tools, and the FB group has the whole repair manual which is awesome!

Took a camping trip this past weekend to Michigan, and also decided to remove the cover on my accumulator assembly. It was FILLED with rust dust and crud. I hope I can swap the electronics from the used unit I was able to find and clean it all up with a wire brush on a Dremel and avoid opening the system.

View attachment 2811138
View attachment 2811139
View attachment 2811140
View attachment 2811141
View attachment 2811142
Ooo where did you camp?

Got put on a 10 day quarantine due to COVID exposure, figured what better to do than attack the rust on this thing.

I did find one frame hole, but it's a baby. I am definitely going to look into extending the AC drain as it seems to drip all along and sometimes even into the frame.

Overall, the frame is a lot more solid than I expected. I do need to remove the rear bumper and see what horrors await me back there. Nonetheless, I think I still have many years of life and adventures to be had with this GX. I used a mix of wire brushes and cutoff wheels with wire wheels to take off the scale. A lot of places that looked super rusty showed silver steel after a few seconds with the wire wheel. I then cleaned the frame with a prep spray I got from a local body shop and then covered it in rust reformer. In a few days I'll come back and give her another coat then absolutely annihilate the inside of the frame with Fluid Film.

I've also managed to find a KDSS module through Benzeen Auto parts and ordered some of those connector rebuild kits (thank you so much Edes!). Hoping to solve the KDSS issues and see how it feels before deciding to bite the bullet and lift it. Goal is to lift the car and get the KDSS working for under $2500 which may be tight but doable.

I plan to order a raked 2 inch Dobinson's Nitro lift kit in comfort spec, and get the freedom off road UPCs and order lower control arm bushings and ball joints to press into my KDSS lowers. I hope it'll significantly improve the ride quality. Right now it seems to be a weird mix of stiff but under dampened. I've got a camping trip planned for next weekend, probably won't involve very much off roading but excited nonetheless. The lift I think I'll get sometime around Thanksgiving or Black Friday unless I get bored and just bite the bullet.

I also want to ditch the side steps but may wait until after the lift.

View attachment 2800237

View attachment 2800238

View attachment 2800239

View attachment 2800240

View attachment 2800241
This looks like mine. Probably a little better than mine (upstate NY vehicle). I've been using Fluid Film for years and it's done a good job slowing down the rust. I hear Woolwax is better (thicker). It comes in black and doesn't smell awful like FF. I'm going to try it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom