2002 LX470 Navigation upgrade/replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I'm getting ready to purchase a 2002 LX470. Love everything about the truck except the navigation/radio. Is there a way to remove the navigation and install a standard non-nav system? I'd like to install a google play system, but can't find any that are compatible with the navigation system. Any help would be appreciated.

2002_lexus_lx_470-pic-5246252190864637935-1024x768.jpeg

from the FAQ. You can, not easily or cheaply. Get a bluetooth module for the radio and stream from a phone or tablet to the stock radio

from the FAQ. You can, not easily or cheaply. Get a bluetooth module for the radio and stream from a phone or tablet to the stock radio

For the OP - read through that nav delete thread.

I'd describe the process as intimidating more than hard. It's scary anytime you cut off entire wire bundles, but the process is highly documented so if you can learn to reliably butt splice wires together and can follow instructions, it's achievable without being an electrical engineer. There's tons of good support on this board should you run into problems.

As for cost, affordability is a relative term and might be different for you and me. It will cost you about $200 in parts to rip out the nav system and create new HVAC controls by sourcing used parts, but then you still have to add in a replacement stereo system, and that's where costs can vary widely depending on what you're trying to do. If you're not going crazy, you can add a good quality Android or CarPlay capable head unit to the factory amp and speakers for around $400 (on top of the $200 for the HVAC controls), or you can go "mid range" and pair the same HU with new speakers and / or a replacement amp for around $1100 ($200 HVAC, $400 HU, $200 amp, $200 speakers (all 4 doors), and maybe another $100 in misc connectors, adaptors, etc. You can aim between the $600 and $1100 by eliminating either the new speakers or aftermarket amp. Whether that's expensive is up to you... the result is a great sound system that makes a 20 yr old car feel more modern, but it could be over 10% of the value of your car.

Look to that nav delete thread for better details, I just wanted to give you a broad overview here.

Last edited:

Thanks. Great thread. Lots of information to fish through.

For the OP - read through that nav delete thread.

I'd describe the process as intimidating more than hard. It's scary anytime you cut off entire wire bundles, but the process is highly documented so if you can learn to reliably butt splice wires together and can follow instructions, it's achievable without being an electrical engineer. There's tons of good support on this board should you run into problems.

As for cost, affordability is a relative term and might be different for you and me. It will cost you about $200 in parts to rip out the nav system and create new HVAC controls by sourcing used parts, but then you still have to add in a replacement stereo system, and that's where costs can vary widely deepening on what you're trying to do. If you're not going crazy, you can add a good quality Android or CarPlay capable head unit to the factory amp and speakers for around $400 (on top of the $200 for the HVAC controls), or you can go "mid range" and pair the same HU with new speakers and / or a replacement amp for around $1100 ($200 HVAC, $400 HU, $200 amp, $200 speakers (all 4 doors), and maybe another $100 in misc connectors, adaptors, etc. You can aim between the $600 and $1100 by eliminating either the new speakers or aftermarket amp. Whether that's expensive is up to you... the result is a great sound system that makes a 20 yr old car feel more modern, but it could be over 10% of the value of your car.

Look to that nav delete thread for better details, I just wanted to give you a broad overview here.
Thanks for the information and encouragement.

I'm going to read through the thread and hopefully the instructions make sense

Thanks

Has anybody tried this? May not solve any amp issues but looks pretty sweet.

Hello all. I'm getting ready to purchase a 2002 LX470. Love everything about the truck except the navigation/radio. Is there a way to remove the navigation and install a standard non-nav system? I'd like to install a google play system, but can't find any that are compatible with the navigation system. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 2596027

It seems like a funny feature to take a stand on, but it was a prerequisite for me to purchase a 100 series without navigation system due to the difficulty of replacing the system.

I grabbed a 98 and put in a standard double din, piece of cake!

It seems like a funny feature to take a stand on, but it was a prerequisite for me to purchase a 100 series without navigation system due to the difficulty of replacing the system.

I grabbed a 98 and put in a standard double din, piece of cake!
After extensivley researching the topic, I totally understand! It looks like I will have to replace the entire system.

Any reason you don't just go with the Grom V2? I have it and ive been happy with it.
I would definitely go with the Grom but the previous owner installed aftermarket speakers which overwhelmed the factory, so I will also need to replace it.

I’m thinking about installing the Grom and somehow mounting and wiring an aftermarket amp to the factory harness under the passenger seat. Any wiring diagrams for the factory harness and the Grom would be awesome if anyone has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom