2001 LX470 Ride Quality (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I am considering buying a 2001 LX. I took a look at it today and couldn't find a whole lot wrong with it. The A/C hose line is worn so the owner was getting it replaced tomorrow. He had the part in the trunk and told me I could re-test drive it at the shop once they finish fixing it. The power antennae doesn't go all the way down, and the hood struts need to be replaced.

Good things I noticed:
- AHC works, car rose and dropped smoothly and quickly (to me anyway)
- alignment seems good
- Everything in the interior seemed to work fine
- No rust that I could see. Just a little in the rear drop gate on the inside edges. Even if that got terrible it doesn't appear that it would ruin anything.
- New speakers
- Some fairly clean suspension parts. Said he just had them replaced including the rack but in my opinion, no receipts means it didn't happen.
- No definite signs of leaks, but I met him at Costco so it's no real way to tell. I couldn't smell anything burning, and the exhaust smelled fine as well.
- No lights on (but gotta go back and put the key in accessory to make sure he didn't pluck a bulb)

Off-Putting Things:
- The interior was a bit worn in my opinion. The front seats don't have holes, but they don't feel as plush as I'm sure they once did.
- The ride was rough. It felt just like an off-road vehicle. In high school, a buddy of mine drove a Land Cruiser and his mom's LX from time to time, and they were buttery smooth. This one today was not the same by far. However, it did have off-road tires and the 18" wheels from the later 100 models.

Is this rough ride normal? He said he had the original wheels as well, not sure if that's included in the price. But he's asking $9,900 and it has 121,6XX on it. He said the timing was changed (I don't believe him, again no paperwork).

What do you guys think about this? It's gold and I'd prefer a different color, but could get it wrapped at a later date. Paint is perfect on it, just not my preference.

I have just purchased a bone stock 2001 LX 470 on factory size 16" Falken tires. The ride is too soft in the lowest two soft positions. I like the 2nd to the firmest ride on the highway & the firmest position in the turns.

Also some 2001 had factory nagivation system, that is very hard to replace the stereo & I have been told a rebuilt OEM unit is $5,000.00. So I searched for one that didn't have the nagivation system.

Btw, I paid $11,600.00 for mine with 107,000 miles. The interior & seats are almost flawless.

The bad part was there was minor rust on bolts & stuff underneath from what I am amsuming from driving on salted roads. I also had to do the timing belt because there was no documentation of it being done.

I also had to replace the hood struts, wiper blades, power window module (they would dip down in reverse but, not fully go back up in drive) and my telescopic steering wheel makes a slight noise when scoping out & the interior is hot. I bought a new telescoping motor & haven't had a chance to replace it yet.

How much ddi the hood struts run you? And do you mean the power side mirrors? or the windows? I didn't even check to see if they tilted in reverse. Forgot about that. I did check the telescopic steering wheel though. Worked perfectly. My LS430 on the other hand goes up and down but not in and out.

In regard to the ride again, it just seemed very firm, and this was in the normal position for both height and normal for the other option sport and... ?? don't remember.

This one also has no Nav, I assume it would be easy to just add an aftermarket head unit. I thought it was easy to swap out the original NAV head unit in all of the 470's 2002 and earlier? I'll have to look that up.

There are many threads on AHC here, several in the recent pages of posts. Do your research. But to offer some input, a system that is in bad shape is usually bouncy (due to worn pressure globes), or firm (due to high neutral pressures). You need to shift between all comfort modes to determine that they are functioning properly. Sometimes these systems can be brought back to live with the correct maintenance, but sometimes they are too far gone.

Start here: Definitive list of AHC maintenance items

There are many threads on AHC here, several in the recent pages of posts. Do your research. But to offer some input, a system that is in bad shape is usually bouncy (due to worn pressure globes), or firm (due to high neutral pressures). You need to shift between all comfort modes to determine that they are functioning properly. Sometimes these systems can be brought back to live with the correct maintenance, but sometimes they are too far gone.

Start here: Definitive list of AHC maintenance items
Thanks for that! Just discovered that the truck actually has Tundra wheels on it. I'm going to research the high neutral pressure. It certainly isn't bouncy, in my opinion probably too firm. Here's a picture of it.

79722557244406twzcnewx_Big.JPG

The power mirrors are supposed to go up & down when you shift in & out of reverse, when you have it in the left or right position. They don't move in the middle.

The hood struts are only like $50 but, make sure you get them with new balls because you will have to replace those too (if it still has the original struts)

The suspension is an expensive thing. If you have any doubt, take it to get checked by a mechanic that knows them.

This a few pics of mine:

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

Sounds like the first one i test drove. If it rides "like a truck" its more then likely worn out suspension in one form or another. plan on anywhere from 500 to 2000 in work. The 500 would be for ahc flush, new rear springs, techstream and some elbow grease but that would just bring you to baseline, it could still be $1000 for globes or other stuff after that. Or tearing it out and putting in conventional LC springs and shocks

Those tires and rims should not alter the ride quality. My 2001 LX has 2016 Tundra wheels and tires. 193,000 miles. Rides smooth as silk. A rough ride is an expensive but fixable problem. Get it diagnosed before committing to a price. Or keep looking for on in your favorite color with a nicer interior.

bpe3

Bought a 06 LC a few months ago. AHC went up and down fine, but ride was very harsh (was just as bad as my F350) - ended up being front globes were shot. Sounds like you have a similar situation and should plan on either new globes and rear springs, or Remove the AHC and go with aftermarket shocks, springs and TB's

The rough ride could be AHC, but it's more likely that the tires are a significant part of it.

The difference in ride, between the factory "p metric" passenger car tires and "light truck" ( "E" rated) tires can be significant.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I was going to test drive it again and put it in Comfort mode and see how that feels. But in normal mode the Truck feels heavy to turn. It's definitely manageable with one hand on the steering, but it feels like the tires are heavy if that makes sense.

The best ride comparison I can give it is a cross between a base model Dodge Ram of the 2006 era or a bit harsher than a Jeep Wrangler 2016. Definitely not that butter smooth ride I remember from 17 years ago.

On another note I've always expected to convert over to LC suspension. I was honestly surprised the AHC even moved when I went to see it. All of the suspension work he did (if he really did it) sounds like he was trying to see if he could fix smaller things to fix the ride quality and it was narrowed down that the AHC was going out and he just decided to sell it. Perhaps not knowing he could convert?

The current owner also could just have too high of pressure in the tires. I test drove a LC when I was first looking and it rode so rough, when I asked the owner why he did it know. After looking around and asking if I could check his tire pressure, he was running p-metric tires at 45 psi (way too high) and once I convinced him to lower them to 32 psi the ride improved significantly.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm pretty sure the AHC is going bad. He just also told me that the truck comes with two sets of tires. The Tundra wheels and the OEM 470 16's. LOL, for a car in great shape that's a really good deal, and here in Puerto Rico, that doesn't happen hardly at all. So something has to be up.

While I never anticipated keeping the AHC when I planned on buying an LX470, I just don't really like the color of this truck. However, finding a no rust vehicle, with 121K on it for around 9K (I know he'll take about that) is pretty hard to find in the states.

I am thinking I should also consider a Suburban. They aren't as reliable (I used to own a Tahoe) but have plenty more room, and we're a family of 5 who would use this for traveling. The LX, as large as it is, doesn't have a ton of cargo capacity. What drew me to it are its looks, the fact there are a lot less of them around than Chevys, and that fantastic build quality, and I could get a god one for relatively cheap considering value. A 2010 Suburban would cost a lot more, and frankly, I don't feel the quality is there at all.

On the fence.

You said that you didn't believe him on half the stuff he said he had done to the truck. If I get a whiff that someone is lying to me when I'm about to drop $10K on something, I walk away.

But possibly the scariest thing you've said in this thread is that you are considering a Suburban...

You said that you didn't believe him on half the stuff he said he had done to the truck. If I get a whiff that someone is lying to me when I'm about to drop $10K on something, I walk away.

But possibly the scariest thing you've said in this thread is that you are considering a Suburban...
LOLLLLLLL! Tell me about it! Man I took a brand new 2015 LTZ from Atlanta to Maryland two years ago and it was bad... uncomfortable seats, rattles, engine shudders, road noise, ZERO power, and the infotainment system was a complete train wreck! It was their first year for that model yes, but that has me crazy nervous. Good gas mileage though! Averaged 26mpg on the highway with it loaded down.

I owned a 2002 Tahoe LTZ about 10 years ago and the transmission started to go at around 115K. So yeah, all that scares me.

So I just got back from driving it for about 30 minutes. It POURED down so i couldn't get it up to 70 or 80 mph, but did get a little over 60 for a stint. It felt fine I guess. I want to say it almost felt like it didn't want to go over 60 really? Or it could've been me and the pouring down of rain.

I put it in comfort mode as well and it was way too soft for my liking, but did handle bumps easily. We spoke more about the tires, they're 20's from a Tundra with all terrain tires, so I'm thinking that's why the ride is a little rougher than normal.

The other thing I want to know from you good folks is how loud is the motor? I have a LS430 and when the AC is on, it's virtually silent. This vehicle however is pretty loud. Is the engine silent like in an LS? I would think it would be louder due to it being high off the ground, likely larger exhaust and know undercarriage cover. It just wasn't silent in the cabin like my LS. My other car as flowmasters on it so I can't compare it to that. But it too, is pretty loud with the AC on from outside the car anyway. I wouldn't say the LX is as loud as my Dodge Magnum.

He's including the original wheels, they have mismatch tires though. He said he has never serviced the AHC (so kinda makes me believe the stuff he did say he serviced).

Once again I'm torn. I feel like 9K is probably fair. But... I'm always up for a GREAT deal. He left the truck at a shop, he had to have an AC hose replaced today and the AC is ice cold. But he said he'll leave it there so I can keep coming back to see it. I'm going to go in the morning to see if I see any drops of fluid on the ground underneath it.

Tomorrow will be 2 months with my 2001 LX. With the AHC on normal (the 2nd click of the 4, one being softest, 4 being firm) the ride way really bouncy when I went over a bump or a dip. My globes failed the Grad test (with a 5), I flushed the AHC fluid (2 can method), replaced the rear springs with toyota ahc springs, added a slee 30mm spacer and adjusted my TB's. My pressures are in spec and the ride greatly improved, but to my dismay, I didn't gain any Grads, it's still a 5. I'm going to enjoy the ride for now, but i'm eventually replace the globes. Many will say to rip out the AHC, but my wife is tired of the lifted 4Runner, so happy wife, happy life.

I remember my 4Runner V8 was very quiet before I started modding it, the LX is almost the same except for a few scenarios. Flooring it at a green light or a freeway downshift. During the 1st gear acceleration or a freeway downshift, I have a sorta ticking sound during that acceleration, it goes away in 2nd gear and when it upshifts again. Sometimes at idle, I feel a little vibration at idle. I did do a comprehensive 90k timing belt service, replaced everything (water pump, belts, idlers, plugs, tensioners, pulleys, all rubber hoses under the hood, cam seals, crank seals, t-stat, pcv valve, fan bracket, fuel filter, heater T's and more) except the coil packs, I am wondering if new coil packs wil fix the the ticking/idle, I read they can be going bad long before a check engine light.

I paid way more than you, but for the history/mileage, I didn't mind paying more.

Tomorrow will be 2 months with my 2001 LX. With the AHC on normal (the 2nd click of the 4, one being softest, 4 being firm) the ride way really bouncy when I went over a bump or a dip. My globes failed the Grad test (with a 5), I flushed the AHC fluid (2 can method), replaced the rear springs with toyota ahc springs, added a slee 30mm spacer and adjusted my TB's. My pressures are in spec and the ride greatly improved, but to my dismay, I didn't gain any Grads, it's still a 5. I'm going to enjoy the ride for now, but i'm eventually replace the globes. Many will say to rip out the AHC, but my wife is tired of the lifted 4Runner, so happy wife, happy life.

I remember my 4Runner V8 was very quiet before I started modding it, the LX is almost the same except for a few scenarios. Flooring it at a green light or a freeway downshift. During the 1st gear acceleration or a freeway downshift, I have a sorta ticking sound during that acceleration, it goes away in 2nd gear and when it upshifts again. Sometimes at idle, I feel a little vibration at idle. I did do a comprehensive 90k timing belt service, replaced everything (water pump, belts, idlers, plugs, tensioners, pulleys, all rubber hoses under the hood, cam seals, crank seals, t-stat, pcv valve, fan bracket, fuel filter, heater T's and more) except the coil packs, I am wondering if new coil packs wil fix the the ticking/idle, I read they can be going bad long before a check engine light.

I paid way more than you, but for the history/mileage, I didn't mind paying more.

How many miles is on yours?

I just did some research and found some comments from folks who own both the LS and the LX, they all said the same thing.... it's just loud, louder than the LS.

I've read about the ticking and high pitched noises. I experienced none of that, just a not so super smooth ride which I'm hoping is due to the tires. I may pull the trigger. Especially if he takes 9 or less!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom