2001 LX Mark Levinson removal and replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to everyone taking the time to read this thread. I am having issues with my head unit volume rotary knob, amp is dying(intermittently powers woofer), and all speakers make this god awful rattling racket. I do believe the factory equipment is beyond saving and is due for replacement. The plan is to replace the head unit with a double din carplay capable device. Next the amp since I do plan on retaining the woofer. Then all front/rear door speakers and the woofer.

If I drop in the same size aftermarket speaker, can I utilize the factory speaker wire?

Is it possible to use the factory amp power source from the harness to power an aftermarket amp of the same wattage?

Are any mods needed to fit an aftermarket woofer of the same size as oem into the factor sub enclosure?

Audio definitely isn't my forte nor am I an automotive electrical wiz. Just want to ensure I do things right before dropping a couple hundred on audio.

Which Mark Levinson system do you have? If you have the non-nav version you can use read up on this thread.

See my comments in blue in the quote below.

Hello to everyone taking the time to read this thread. I am having issues with my head unit volume rotary knob, amp is dying(intermittently powers woofer), and all speakers make this god awful rattling racket. I do believe the factory equipment is beyond saving and is due for replacement. The plan is to replace the head unit with a double din carplay capable device. Next the amp since I do plan on retaining the woofer. Then all front/rear door speakers and the woofer.

If I drop in the same size aftermarket speaker, can I utilize the factory speaker wire?
If I remember right, the factory speaker wire can support about 70 watts per channel.
Is it possible to use the factory amp power source from the harness to power an aftermarket amp of the same wattage?
I don't know about using the factory amp power to power an aftermarket amp, I would run a new wire from the battery if you want to power a aftermarket amp.
Are any mods needed to fit an aftermarket woofer of the same size as oem into the factor sub enclosure?
You can search mud regarding this, there are a lot of threads about it. Over the years the people here have used a cheap 6 1/2" dvc sub and modified the box and subwoofer cover, now it seems like they've found a proper size woofer that fits/works better with the factory amp, but since your amp is dying, you might not want to go this route.
Audio definitely isn't my forte nor am I an automotive electrical wiz. Just want to ensure I do things right before dropping a couple hundred on audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom