2001 LC 100 Series Used 215k Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey there, fellow Oregoner! Nice build thread you got going. I just picked up my Land Cruiser in Bend last weekend, I originally had my eyes set on one in Eugene but the owner could not be bothered to wait two days for me to drive down and pick it up (it sold 3 days from post date - at asking price).

Hope to see you around sometime, I spend quite some time in Eugene.

Sounds like you made a good choice! There’s so many places to go out in OR. I’m actually back in MN for a little bit but hoping to make my way back to the west coast in the next little bit.

Build is going well, relatively slow but good to do some research and spend way too much time on this forum:) I wish I had more time...

Hey there, fellow Oregoner! Hope to see you around sometime, I spend quite some time in Eugene.

The dunes around Reedsport are sweet. Go down Sparrow Park Road and hit the beach. You can camp right there next to the dunes entry. Not much traffic, fish with some chest waders, make a fire on the beach, go clamming, drive for endless miles (be careful of the tides...) Bring some traction devices and your OHV flag/permit

The dunes around Reedsport are sweet. Go down Sparrow Park Road and hit the beach. You can camp right there next to the dunes entry. Not much traffic, fish with some chest waders, make a fire on the beach, go clamming, drive for endless miles (be careful of the tides...) Bring some traction devices and your OHV flag/permit
I spend most of my "beach" time at either pacific city or long beach. I just love driving endlessly down the beach for miles. That is, until I pull over to pull someone out... yeah, it happens frequently lol.

So today was a big push... I have the ARB Bull Bar installed as of a few weeks ago after I sorted my stripped frame bolt. Then today... I got the OME torsion bars on and cranked up to -1" rake (may take them up to -.5" as it is still a little stink buggy), The front and rear nitrocharger shocks went on and I must say that all of the negative talk on this forum about 60000 and 60002 shocks + the OME torsion bars is not accurate for my tastes. Maybe its that I have a heavy battery (X2 AGM 27F) and the ARB bull bar up front and drawers in the back. But I must say, the OME lift feels and drives incredible. It's not even firm, its just compliant and very nice. 2860 coils in back with 60002 shocks, 60000 and OME torsion bars up front.

I then had an alignment... the caster can't quite get back into spec though. They are off by 2/10's of a degree which isn't crazy but I may need some new aftermarket upper control arms to fix that problem... Thoughts?

I got a 3" foam mattress topper a while ago and it didn't fit the back of my 4runner very well but I decided to throw it in the back of the truck this eve to see how it worked. It fits perfectly and I think my sleeping set up is pretty nice for me+lady+dog for a weekend. Just need to figure out how to get the cooler in there and keep some space for a few luggage items.

Lastly, I'll be doing a bunch of solo missions this fall/winter and I want to get a winch for the rig. I am leaning towards a smittybilt 10k x20 or a 12k x20. Are there any thoughts on these? I'm not going to be doing a ton of crazy trails or anything so I see this as an emergency, last ditch effort with the Treds to help. I'll likely not be doing a ton of fender high mud pits. I'd love some feedback. I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment so I can't afford a $1300 warn winch at the moment. I can get this for about $500 or so with synthetic line. Seems like a good deal with a ton of good reviews.

Amazon product ASIN B07B3PN662
Amazon product ASIN B00K150X2E

Last edited:
No help there on the winch ay?? I made some more good pushes this past week. Snorkel is on and sliders are on as well! Next is winch and front driving lights... Would love some solid advice from you folk!

A lot of things have happened since the last time I posted here... Now that I'm isolated I thought I'd give a little update and solicit some advice from you that know much more than I.

Build as it stands now:
226K, baselined all fluids and did a lot of preventative maintenance - Running great
BFG KO2 285 75 16 @ about 8k miles - Love em
OME nitrocharger front and back shocks - A little stiff for on road driving
OME 2860 Rear springs - Sits level with new front end items
OME Torsion Bars - Maybe a bigger part of the stiffness issue...
Amazon Snorkel - Doing great through the summer/winter here in MN
Extended Rear diff, front diff, tcase breathers - Haven't really tested these yet but it was a simple install
ARB Bull Bar 98-02 type - Doing great and not a huge noticeable difference in handling
Metal Tech Sliders - Got them raw, primed and a whole lot of thin coats of black truckbed liner. These held up great through gravel/rocks last summer and through rust season in MN.
Full Ziebart underbody coating and parafin treatment for the whole thing - Super happy I took this plunge. I think it'll get me another 10 years out of this truck.
Front Auxbeam LED 80W spot/spread lights - Good output, not great in fog/snow but I knew that getting them
Full rear drawer system build- One is all cooking stuff, one is all tools and gear
Real long hair wool seat covers from Kiwi - Love these things...
Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM portable air compressor - Used it once to air up after the dunes and worked great
8020 Rack rails mixed with the OEM rails

Now for the stuff that is coming while I have some time at home the next few months...
Smittybilt x20 3rd Gen 10,000lb Winch - In the garage, waiting for me to take off the ARB bumper and get it hooked up
Dometic CF50 - These are on crazy sale and I think I'm going to grab one...
Homemade tilt/slide drawer - This will be a fun little project. I may wind up dialing the whole drawer system at the same time.
Sealed surface for cooking/cutting and storage in tail gate

If anyone has some lessons learned on any of the items I'm thinking about doing in the next month or so, please post links to other threads or useful online resources! I'd love some help so I can get this all done! I'll post some pictures of how it stands when it's not cold a dreary in Minneapolis... Take care everyone, hope you are staying safe out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom