For Sale 2001 Land Cruiser 121k miles not loved - worth a gamble on purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This 2001 LC has low miles at 121k, but PO before current owner really banged it up. Asking price is $8500 and I don't think they'll budge on price. Wondering if it's worth taking to mechanic and purchasing if it checks out? Test drove last week..brakes shudder when applied...so probably need attention. Serp belt looks relatively new. Engine cover has a crack (how does that happen?!). Current owners have put ~20k on in last 18 months..mostly highway miles. Needs a good cleaning. Seats in decent shape..tear on seam in passenger front seatIf it's mainly cosmetic issues, wondering how much I'd be out replacing: front and rear bumpers and lower rear tailgate. Or too much hassle to match paint and repair? Maybe spend 2x to get one in better nick? Long-time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance for advice!

front rt.JPG

back left corner.JPG

back left side tailgate.JPG

front.png

tailgate.JPG

Last edited:
That's where I'm leaning...lost my 98 LX470 to an elk 2 years ago...had just passed 100k and it was pristine. I see so many of these with high miles...assume I could spend more on cleaner with higher miles and she would still go to 300k..

Agree with @Ninja Cruiser100

That thing is an iceberg, you will get deeper and deeper for a long time before finding the bottom. Maybe and I mean maybe worth it at half his asking price for the engine miles but I would give that one a pass and keep looking if it were me

Hard pass on this rig. You're just buying another person's headache.

As long as it runs good, doesn't leak anything, and have no rust, i don't see a reason why you can't take a gamble on this. They're pretty hard to destroy, owner might not be a neglect, might just be a really bad driver. If you look at my GF's car, you'd never buy it because you assume the same, it's like she plays real life bumper cars with her car. However i work on it and maintain it so at least it'll run good.

Brake shaking is probably warped rotors, or could be pistons sticking and not applying even pressure. Not too terribly expensive to replace. Bumpers are cheap, people on Mud give them away after they get metal bumpers, or at the very least, sell them for like $100, so no worries there.

Thanks for the input, FxFormat. It seemed like warped rotors. No leaks. No rust. PO was a kid..I'm guessing careless and clearly reckless (may have inherited from Gramps..). Current owners just deal with condition and use as daily driver.. I'm concerned with getting bumpers and tailgate painted to match.. Just when I'm ready to say no, I think low miles and see what these are going for nationwide..

That cruiser is two toned, you can just get some rattle can that's close to the silver and paint it to match the front and rear and the side trim. Then spend some good money on the Spraymax 2K clear and it's going to be good enough, it's expensive but that clear is as close to automotive quality as you can get.

I have a 2001 with almost 300K in better shape than that if your interested. I've driven it to Canada and back 4 times in the last 2 years, and I'm sure it would make the drive to CO. Otherwise, keep looking...

I guess it really depends on if you want to open up the can of worms and see how much work this thing really needs. That would be a nice project vehicle for a 2nd vehicle to restore and bring back to a nice looking LC. I agree with FX that if the mechanics on it are nice you can find the cosmetic stuff on here even though you really don't 100% know what all needs to be replaced on it. I for sure would ask a lower price. For $8500 there are a few here in Atlanta that are in lots better shape than that one.

It needs a good wash, iron decontamination, clay bar, and two stage paint correction for sure. In the first pic it looks like that is paint transfer on the front bumper and with a polisher that can come out.

Thanks, JT4runner..appreciate the input. I'm going to have my mechanic look at it. Problem is the current owner thinks it's really worth 8500..so may not be worth the hassle with him..but those low miles! Damn....

That is a big pass. Gasoline prices in California are over $4/gal. It's going to keep going up as the summer season comes around. People in California will look to start unloading their gas guzzling single owner Land Cruisers.

That is a big pass. Gasoline prices in California are over $4/gal. It's going to keep going up as the summer season comes around. People in California will look to start unloading their gas guzzling single owner Land Cruisers.
Somewhat true. But I doubt you'll find a sudden flood of "single owner" LC on the market just because of the gas prices in California. It's not our first rodeo. If you can afford LC when it was new, you can afford the gas now.

With that said, is it pretty ridiculous here in California, I'm tracking 350 to 400 this month for gas. Lol.

That is one POS. I dont know why anybody would bother when there are so many nice 100s around.

My last 100, had 145k, was pristine, well maintained and I sold that to a buddy for $11k.

120k beat to crap miles is worse than 220k plus well cared for miles

That is one POS. I dont know why anybody would bother when there are so many nice 100s around.

My last 100, had 145k, was pristine, well maintained and I sold that to a buddy for $11k.

120k beat to crap miles is worse than 220k plus well cared for miles
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm still laughing over what dirtfinder had to say. Great point. Told the seller to pound sand. I'll keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom