200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, it does matter. Here's the pertinent specifications page that shows the acceptable rim widths for the LT285/65R18 Toyo Open Country ATIII tire:

View attachment 2663877

Further, the TRA (Tire and Rim Association), the folks who set the specifications for all things tire and rim (wheel) related, list the following "Approved Rim Contours" for all LT285/65R18 tires:

8 1/2 J, 9 J, 9 1/2 J, 10 J

FYI
So in that case it may make more sense to either stick with the stock size, or even 275/65/18.
Big meats don't justify a potential failure point with the tires.

So in that case it may make more sense to either stick with the stock size, or even 275/65/18.
You should be able to go up to 275/70/18 on the HE wheels based on tire width recommendations then

Hi. My first post. Went to Les Schwab today to install my new 275/70/18 Mazama open range tires. They said they would not fit.
stock rims, no other mods. 2020 base cruiser. So your right take your chances, not a sure bet!
Yeah but tons of folks run that size with minimal if any trimming. Did they try and fit them or did they just look at the door jam and say no without even trying.
Yeah but tons of folks run that size with minimal if any trimming. Did they try and fit them or did they just look at the door jam and say no without even trying.
Hi again. Sorry about the delay on responding. Regarding my 275/70/18 mazama open range tires. I did go in and have Schwab tires try to fit these tires to my 2020 cruiser. Stock wheels. They said ther was rubbing in the front fender an suspension parts. I was not allowed in the shop to watch. I know haw many use this set up so I am very disappointed these tires didn’t fit. Looking at the bilstein 6112/5160 set up. To be able to get these 275/70/18 to work. I’m looking to obtain after market wheels to mount to these tires an sit on them till I can get the lift I want. Really hesitant because of the tires not fitting even though many run that size. Plus I need help with finding wheels that will work. Want the wheels and tires not to poke out past the fenders. What offset? I know most wheels are 9 inch not the 8 inch like stock. So how does that affect where they end up. 40 offset? And who has them? Quick note. Thanks to all who shared their extensive knowledge about the 200 series cruisers. Wanted this vehicle forever, now I have one. I want to get this right.

In the case of this tire, you are correct; but I would caution against generalizations - it is always better to confirm approved rim width specs with data published by either the TRA or directly by the tire manufacturer - not from tables on tire retailers like Tire Rack or Discount Tire, etc.

As an example, let's look at acceptable rim widths for "stock size" tires:

(P)285/60R18 (either ISO-Metric 285/60R18 or P-Metric P285/60R18): 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10

LT285/60R18: 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10

So... a Toyo OC ATIII in 285/60R18 is OK on an 8" wheel, but another manufacturer's LT285/60R18 would NOT be OK - it would require at least an 8.5" rim.

HTH

Last edited:
I'm going to be on the other side and say that you won't have an issue... If guys are running 305s and 12.5" wide on stock rims the 285/65 you mention will work.

Just added my wheel and tire upgrade to my 2018 LC. I had the factory front strut spacers

9E1A7CAE-7B28-4803-AE75-9746640BD6A2.jpeg
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65R18 on FN pro 18 in wheels, +18 offset with 8.5 in width. Had to remove the front air deflector and mud flaps but still have some rubbing when in reverse. A little heat gun molding is next on the list and should take care of the minor rubbing. Ordered Rock Warrior center caps…. I hope they show up soon.

3E3B01D0-AEFF-40F0-9B9A-BD9F24B6E220.jpeg

FD84F865-1B99-40FD-8653-DDA563404CD1.jpeg

Hello all,

I am running 275 65 R18 Toyo AT3s. These fit our needs the best as other sizes are LT and we don't need the additional weight capacity. That said some part of me wishes I went up to 33s. These look a wee bit small. I have noticed that handling feels better over stock tires
unnamed (5) p.jpeg

Cheers

I was hoping to size up to 285/65/18, (sure....looks). but not if it’s unsafe somehow. Why do you think Michelin & BFG allow the 8 inch? Am I misreading? I looked for the 2021 TRA yearbook but it’ll take a bit to get a freeware copy.
A5852ADA-D5A6-46C5-8079-7E669122624C.png

D609E399-361D-4A63-AEB9-F91CBD3D7FB1.png

I was hoping to size up to 285/65/18, (sure....looks). but not if it’s unsafe somehow. Why do you think Michelin & BFG allow the 8 inch? Am I misreading? I looked for the 2021 TRA yearbook but it’ll take a bit to get a freeware copy.
View attachment 2666479

View attachment 2666480

I think you raise an excellent question, and provide some great examples of why it is important to go to primary sources for this kind of information if it is important to you.

I started purchasing the TRA Yearbooks in 2014 and update to a new one every three years, so now I have the 2014, 2017 and 2020 Yearbooks. I do this because the information and specs do change from time to time, and I like to have the latest available.

Looking at just the "Approved Rim Contours" for LT285/65R18 tires I find the following:

2014 TRA Yearbook: 8J, 8 1/2J, 9J, 9 1/2J, 10J

2017 TRA Yearbook: 8J, 8 1/2J, 9J, 9 1/2J, 10J

2020 TRA Yearbook: 8 1/2J, 9J, 9 1/2J, 10J

So, it appears that anywhere you see 8-10 instead of 8.5-10 as an approved rim width for this tire size, you are looking at an outdated spec.

HTH

The TRA primary purpose is "to establish and promulgate interchangeability standards for tires, rims, valves and allied parts."

It does not dictate requirements for tires or manufacturers. It's a reference for interchangeability.

Falken AT3Ws 285/65R18 also support an 8" wheel.
1620276278271.png

Personally, I would have no problem using the Toyo AT3s on an 8" wheel. There's plenty of margin and load capacity to work a bit outside of the box.

An e-mail reply from TRA confirms the standard changed from 8.0 to 8.5" due to a harmonization around LT tires to current TRA guidelines. However, previously approved rims and use of the 8.0" standard are grandfathered. This is listed in the Supplementary Service Data section.

"Therefore it's [8"] still an approved rim contour, but viewed as a superseded standard."

Ah...much more clear. :rolleyes:

The guy was an EVP at TRA who replied, and I was impressed with the detail and consideration I got instead of just being told to buy a book. So I showed restraint in not asking why the standard was changed. I'd post the whole e-mail, but there's a disclaimer about it being confidential and only for me, blah, blah.

So, my take is as the Toyo and Nitto are newer registrations, thus using the latest standard. But the others are up to date as of their registrations- to explain the manufacturer charts.

Toyo Technical support also reconfirmed their 8.5 -10" listing.

So anyway-...all in all...while the 8" is probably just fine, and I wouldn't question anyone who installed such. I'll skip it and use it as an excuse to find some 8.5 or 9 rims I like.

And no...my HE BBS are not for sale.

I just put 275/70/R18 Cooper ST MAXX tires on my 09 (2inch lift, stock wheels).
Whats the recommended tire pressure for a heavy loaded 200 @gaijin ?

I just put 275/70/R18 Cooper ST MAXX tires on my 09 (2inch lift, stock wheels).
Whats the recommended tire pressure for a heavy loaded 200 @gaijin ?

Since Cooper doesn't make that tire in that size, I looked it up on their site and found a Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX LT275/70R18 125/122Q Load Range E tire - I assume this is the tire you are asking about, right? Would it hurt to give correct info so I don't have to "fact check" your question?

Anywho...

The RCTIP for those LT275/70R18 125/122Q Load Range E tires on your LC200 is 41psi F/R.

The RCTIP is good for all loads up to the GAWR/GVWR loads for your vehicle.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom