1st time fj40 builder. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 1970 fj I purchased and now I'm on the build. I have been gathering parts to build this thing in my garage. From craigslist I have acquired a Dana 44 for the front, 14 bolt for the rear. I have ground off the original spring perches as they are of course way to wide. I am ready to relocate those. My question is can I, should I , use my original Toyota leaf springs. They are in useable condition. If not what springs would be better. Most I am finding at junk yards are very long (63") from a 70's chevy truck. The Toyota springs are very short. I don't want to cut the body beyond recognition to accommodate long springs. I'm not trying to create a rock buggy, just a capable fj to take off road and enjoy around town.

Why are you swapping out the Toyota axles?

It’s an FJ40.

The FJ was a monumental engineering disaster. AKA FJ Cruiser.

Dana 44 up front!o_O I agree, that's a move backwards.

So I have a 1970 fj I purchased and now I'm on the build. I have been gathering parts to build this thing in my garage. From craigslist I have acquired a Dana 44 for the front, 14 bolt for the rear. I have ground off the original spring perches as they are of course way to wide. I am ready to relocate those. My question is can I, should I , use my original Toyota leaf springs. They are in useable condition. If not what springs would be better. Most I am finding at junk yards are very long (63") from a 70's chevy truck. The Toyota springs are very short. I don't want to cut the body beyond recognition to accommodate long springs. I'm not trying to create a rock buggy, just a capable fj to take off road and enjoy around town.

First of all ,

Welcome to MUD ..........

second , take the below very Serious , An Don'T " DETROIT :confused: " up Your Fj40......please

2.jpg

Well my first and last post on this site. I ask a question to get some help and I get Toyota purist telling me how they would do it. I wouldn't have minded getting a response that said "well I wouldn't do it that way but here's some help on your question", "or go here to find some discussion on that topic". I've been building hot rods for 25 years now. This is my first venture into 4wd vehicles and fj40's. When I'm asked for help by someone building a rod I don't lecture on what I would do. I provide the answers best I can. If I think what they are doing is wrong or unsafe I will voice it, but 8 out of 10 cruisers I see on the road are peoples creations and far from Toyota factory. I was just looking for some advice on what springs to use or not use. Not a Toyota sermon.

@TRTL FJ

Welcome and have fun building your 40 the way you like. You have to sift through some of the posts here as you have seen.

There is a ton of info here and it’s a good community.

I’m building my 40 with a 14B rear and 9” front. Why? Because it’s mine and I want to.

Well it seems to me like you asked for advice and got it. You just didn’t like What you heard. And I think most of these people from experience can tell you not to mess with something that doesn’t need to be messed with it for a variety of reasons. One is you decrease the value and the more modifications made on these vehicles the more problems people seem to have. However it is your vehicle and you can make it a Lowrider for all I care. People are just I think trying to help you from over complicating things. And then people like me come along and look to buy An fj40 and I wouldn’t touch one that’s been modified and jacked up with a 10 foot pole. Even when people paint their rig a different color. Keep it in stock as possible and then should you ever decide to sell it let someone else at that point decide what to do. Its a much more sound financial decisions. But like I said before... it’s your vehicle do whatever you want to do with it. And don’t be so sensitive for gosh sake.

No pictures so this really didn’t happen.

And I bet the bezel is upside down too.

:p:p:p

You asked for advice, the stock running gear on 40’s is pretty darn stout!! They are considered an off road legend for a reason.

^^×2
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Opinions and advice abound here, and we've all heard things we didn't like, but a lot we appreciate.

Well it seems to me like you asked for advice and got it. You just didn’t like What you heard. And I think most of these people from experience can tell you not to mess with something that doesn’t need to be messed with it for a variety of reasons. One is you decrease the value and the more modifications made on these vehicles the more problems people seem to have. However it is your vehicle and you can make it a Lowrider for all I care. People are just I think trying to help you from over complicating things. And then people like me come along and look to buy An fj40 and I wouldn’t touch one that’s been modified and jacked up with a 10 foot pole. Even when people paint their rig a different color. Keep it in stock as possible and then should you ever decide to sell it let someone else at that point decide what to do. Its a much more sound financial decisions. But like I said before... it’s your vehicle do whatever you want to do with it. And don’t be so sensitive for gosh sake.
The last thing I am is sensitive. I have no problem with people wanting the stock look, the stock running gear, the stock paint whatever. My question wasn't "hey can anyone tell me if I should scrap the stock Toyota running gear and instead go buy a D44 and a 14b for the rear". If I had asked that I would appreciate the input. That's not at all what I asked. I asked a legitimate question that would hopefully illicit an answer from someone on this forum who had experience doing the very thing I am doing. There is no debate on what I am going to run in my cruiser. Its a D44 and a 14b. MY question is about the springs. Are you telling me this forum is not for such questions. If it isn't then I will leave it.

... my original Toyota leaf springs. They are in useable condition...

...I don't want to cut the body beyond recognition to accommodate long springs.

Seems to me like you answered your own question. Stick with the Toyota springs you have unless an easier solution presents itself.

Don’t take offense. We are Toyota people here. I’d get the same response going onto a Jeep forum asking how best to swap my landcruiser axles under a cj5.

@TRTL FJ - Sorry your initial post here got diverted. I've been here for 9 months and I've found Mudders very helpful with a very few exceptions.

I might recommend a bit of a self-introduction, with pics and details of your recent purchase. Not only do people like seeing other folks' rigs, it helps give some perspective to what direction you are going.

I suspect your question hasn't been seen by the right people. As you may have gathered, not many here have gone the exact route you are going. So finding the people with concrete knowledge of your question might take time.

While I haven't done what you are doing, my question back to you would be how much lift are you wanting to get? I'm assuming that you are probably doing a SOA (Spring-Over-Axle) conversion as part of the axle swap. And the particular axles you plan to use shouldn't really affect the spring choice. Do you want/need more lift than SOA gives? If so you'll probably want different springs. If not, I don't see why staying with the stock springs won't be fine.

Seems to me like you answered your own question. Stick with the Toyota springs you have unless an easier solution presents itself.

Don’t take offense. We are Toyota people here. I’d get the same response going onto a Jeep forum asking how best to swap my landcruiser axles under a cj5.
Thanks, John. No offense taken here. As I said I'm not sensitive at all. I appreciate the post back. I get what your saying, my sincere apologies to the Toyota faithful. I love restoring cars. I've done many. I have always admired 40's. They are such great looking rigs. I just don't like cookie cutter stuff. I like to make things my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom