1KD-FTV into LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my father and I decided to go with the 1kd for our engine swap. However, we don't plan on starting the swap till spring because of the winter weather in Alberta (I'm also in school full-time till April) so we won't start the process until then. We checked out the engine and it's pristine, no blow-by or smoke whatsoever after ignition. Excited to get my 78 rolling again this summer :)

Also, does anyone happen to know if swapping my transmission to a manual will help out much with fuel mileage on the 1kd? I know with the 2LTE's it is a drastically different experience when linked to the r151 instead of the a343. Would all the extra drivetrain work be worth it for driving on the highway? Let me know what the best options would be.

I don't have any experience with auto, but my manual still revs pretty high on the highway to keep acceptable speeds. If highways are your concern I think I would stick with your auto.

Got some interesting info about the manual pump conversion... So when we were discussing this last time, I had found that video that I posted earlier and I asked him what pump and injectors he used. I just checked now if he replied and...

IMG_20201210_220622.jpg

🤔🤔🤔

Today I found out that the output shaft from the a343f is too small for the 1kd. this diesel conversion site says they use an a340 transmission for their 1kd swaps (I'm assuming they use the a340f?) and I also found an ad for this a750f transmission that says it was pulled from a hilux with a 1kd. TOYOTA HILUX TRANS/GEARBOX AUTO, 4WD, DIESEL, 3.0, 1KD-FTV, 5 SPEED, A750F CODE, | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HILUX-TRANS-GEARBOX-AUTO-4WD-DIESEL-3-0-1KD-FTV-5-SPEED-A750F-CODE-/274222732003 Anybody have any experience with the 750 or know how reliable it is? Let me know what you think the best trans option would be for this build.

Today I found out that the output shaft from the a343f is too small for the 1kd. this diesel conversion site says they use an a340 transmission for their 1kd swaps (I'm assuming they use the a340f?) and I also found an ad for this a750f transmission that says it was pulled from a hilux with a 1kd. TOYOTA HILUX TRANS/GEARBOX AUTO, 4WD, DIESEL, 3.0, 1KD-FTV, 5 SPEED, A750F CODE, | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HILUX-TRANS-GEARBOX-AUTO-4WD-DIESEL-3-0-1KD-FTV-5-SPEED-A750F-CODE-/274222732003 Anybody have any experience with the 750 or know how reliable it is? Let me know what you think the best trans option would be for this build.

A750 is an excellent transmission. It's used in 2005+ 2uzfe powered vehicles I believe. Also used in the 100 series behind the 1HDFTE.

Your big problem no matter what trans you use, is going to be trying to adapt the landcruiser split t-case. You need a t-case that suits the offset rear diff of the landcruiser. Otherwise you'll have a drive shaft that goes side ways from t-case to rear axle.

You also need use a transmission that matches the 1KD ECU you're using. The transmission will need the right sensors and actuators. So generally, the best bet is to use the transmission that matches the engine, and change the output shaft to match the landcruiser split t-case. That's what they do with the 1UZ swaps anyhow.

Look up the part number of your 1KD ECU and see exactly what model it came from. This should help you figure out the OEM transmission, and OEM sensors etc.

I don't know how much a manual swap will help fuel economy; probably some, but maybe not enough to make any difference. I can say, though, that a manual LJ78 feels a lot quicker than an automatic, and I think is a lot more fun to drive. If you're concerned about revs on the highway, find an R151f/split case combo out of a 79 series mine truck and swap in the R452 Dyna 5th gear. It will be a direct replacement in the later transmission, and will drop highway rpms considerably. With a 1KD you will have plenty of power to accelerate with the steeper overdrive. I did the 5th gear swap in my LJ78/VW TDI project and with a 110hp tune it is a little sluggish from 80-100km/h, but runs 110km/h @ 2500rpm just fine. I can do 120km/h no problem.

Hey whatever happened to this project? I am very curious about doing this as well.

I see you moved onto a 90

Hey whatever happened to this project? I am very curious about doing this as well.

I see you moved onto a 90
It’s a headache, a not easy swap. But then, I’m walking on the same direction. Will see how it goes on mine.

Wow, very exited to hear about that swap. I have a friend with a LJ70 and we are thinking about doing the same swap but somehow afraid of it ;)

How do you install a intercooler?

Wow, very exited to hear about that swap. I have a friend with a LJ70 and we are thinking about doing the same swap but somehow afraid of it ;)

If my 2lt blows up again I think I might try upgrading to a 5L block rather than retro fitting a whole new type of engine. with the 5L you would get a
3 liter block and head that accepts all the external working parts and covers from the 2Lt. A direct bolt in.
Im saying this because I want to see someone else try it first.

Work in progress, it might take me awhile. Dropping the engine is easy. Final touch are the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom