1HZ engine sound. Is this a tick sound, am i paranoid or is it normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ardnez.com
Theres also a rattle sounds but thats just the exhaust, plan on replacing but I’m wondering what this tick is… can mainly hear it from the right side underneath, cant really hear it from the top of the engine bay.

Not a hz expert or any expert but it sounds ok from here. Is the oil clean-ish, is there chunks of metal when you change oil? fuel and oil consumption acceptable? and exhaust not too smoky? Does it over heat or been overheated? How old are your injector nozzles? How does she go uphill?

I know the hz has a rubber timing belt which must be changed regularly.

Maybe an exhaust leak which isn't too big a deal, normally fixable with some high temp silicone. Have you looked at all the exhaust connections to see traces of carbon smoke anywhere?

Pretty tough engines, can get a million km.

I was paranoid android for a bit awhile back. I posted something similar, but in hind sight, it would take some sort of mechanical clairvoyant seer to diagnose by sound over the internet I reckon. However, there are some on here!

But I use smoke emissions and fuel consumption as the main gauge. Oil consumption if any , or blow by from your oil filler cap.

If I can get 12km/l on the freeway for 100km without stopping at lights etc, driving like miss daisy , I am happy in my 2h.

Not sure what the hz fuel consumption is, but would be interested.

Diesels are noisy engines usually.
Post it on the diesel section for more replies.

Not a hz expert or any expert but it sounds ok from here. Is the oil clean-ish, is there chunks of metal when you change oil? fuel and oil consumption acceptable? and exhaust not too smoky? Does it over heat or been overheated? How old are your injector nozzles? How does she go uphill?

I know the hz has a rubber timing belt which must be changed regularly.

Maybe an exhaust leak which isn't too big a deal, normally fixable with some high temp silicone. Have you looked at all the exhaust connections to see traces of carbon smoke anywhere?

Pretty tough engines, can get a million km.

I was paranoid android for a bit awhile back. I posted something similar, but in hind sight, it would take some sort of mechanical clairvoyant seer to diagnose by sound over the internet I reckon. However, there are some on here!

But I use smoke emissions and fuel consumption as the main gauge. Oil consumption if any , or blow by from your oil filler cap.

If I can get 12km/l on the freeway for 100km without stopping at lights etc, driving like miss daisy , I am happy in my 2h.

Not sure what the hz fuel consumption is, but would be interested.

Diesels are noisy engines usually.
Post it on the diesel section for more replies.
I just recently did a couple of things to it, fresh oil, only 5 miles in, did the timing gears, timing belt, intake manifold gaskets , injection pump, fuel lines, fuel injector lines, and radiator. Didn’t drive it for 7 months, so I forgot how it sounded prior and now I’m paranoid even though it does drive cherry, no blowby, flip the filler cap upside down and stays in place, no excessive smoke, hasn’t overheated, drives smooth, just that tick is causing me paranoia… if it even is a tick. But I definitely do have an exhaust leak which is the next project. I want to enjoy it and not be paranoid, maybe im overthinking

sounds a lot like tappet .valve clearance noise. I'm not a 1hz man either. I think there's shims involved with the valve clearances.
yeah forgot that too, maybe the valve clearance. when paranoid I did them a few times too. but still diesels are clackity.

I'd say tappet / valve clearance, too. The sound is not severe (yet) but clearly auditable. As it is quite distinctive, it's probably one valve only.
Working on the timing might well have applied that little bit of a change in the overall system to cause it.
You may press a long screw driver to the cylinder head (at different places) and it's handle to your ear to better pick up the sound.
Not sure why the ticking can be heard better from under the truck, though 🤔
Cheers Ralf

Download.jpeg

I'd say tappet / valve clearance, too. The sound is not severe (yet) but clearly auditable. As it is quite distinctive, it's probably one valve only.
Working on the timing might well have applied that little bit of a change in the overall system to cause it.
You may press a long screw driver to the cylinder head (at different places) and it's handle to your ear to better pick up the sound.
Not sure why the ticking can be heard better from under the truck, though 🤔
Cheers Ralf

View attachment 3202452
now he looks like he knows what he is doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom