1hdt fuel solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pump back in. fuel filter changed pump primed, timing gears and belt back on, injection lines all sorted and hooked up. i just lost one of the intake manifold bolt grommets. gotta get a new one of those and i should be able to button this up and see if it runs. thankfully with all my messing about i didn’t get the timing off. tripe checked that before putting the cover on!! man i cant wait to drive this again!!

Howd it go mate? Hopefully all g
I just read this novel too and then it finished on a cliff hanger.

Ive been having similar dramas

Tapping my solenoid would work most of the time, sometimes may need a few goes before opening properly, tapping while cranking.

finally got the missing air intake grommet installed and everything is buttoned up. i primed the fuel line and was able to actually get it to firm up. i couldn’t do that before the pump rebuild. i bet i had fuel bypassing somewhere in the pump because i wasn’t able to get it to firm up like tonight. now my batteries are dead because it sat so long. i’m on pins and needles too to see how this storey turns out but have to wait for a charge 🙄

about 550 000km.

can anyone tell me if the oil seen on the injectors in post 68 is an issue. the truck did sit for a couple weeks before they were pulled so it could be just some seepage. it’s doesn’t look like it’s burning oil when it’s running. i do have some external oil leaks and a bit of blow by so my oil is often low at the end of an oil change but i never have to actually add any during the 5-7000km between changes

Far left, far and second from right look odd.

You obviously have oil leaks on the exterior of the head. (Oil above seals and o-rings)

The nozzle shouldn't look wet and oily. The rest look normal. Black and slightly sooty.

The wetness on the nozzles could be sign of a leaky dribbling injector. Comments from dark fox about previous work suggest that may be the case.

Do you get blow by? Or oily smoke from the exhaust?
I think you have the PCV vented to air or catch can? If it's blowing a lot of oil, wet oily injector nozzles could suggest bad rings and excess oil getting past rings.

I'd just keep an eye on blow by from the PCV. Your pump work and injector refresh may take care of it

FD72913C-75EA-40CC-BDEB-9B363A687CC7.jpeg
So shiny! 👍

I’m way late to the party but thought I’d tell you my experience since our rigs are very similar. My FJ62 has a ‘91 1HDT swapped.

The only time it has left me stranded was very similar situation. While driving it stalled out. It acted as if it was out of diesel and would just crank. Once I got it home I was scouring over the engine bay and at first glance all looked fine. Finally found my fuel cut solenoid wire was damaged but still looked Intact and had caused the issue. I replaced that small section of wire and it fired right up.

I later ran into the same issue with my primer pump sucking air. It would also pump forever without firming up. I replaced it with an OEM 1HZ primer pump and used the filter without the separator on the bottom. One small thing can introduce air and cause issues.

I hope all the issues are solved when the rebuilt IP
and injectors are in. If not, replace the section of harness leading to the solenoid.

thanks. yeah that section of wire was replaced when the pump was rebuilt. i was getting 12v right to the solenoid when i was cranking so i’m pretty sure the wire was ok. it did look like it was 30 years old though hence replacing just in case

tried firing it up today. it just cranks. no fire. i cracked the first and second fuel lines at the injectors. there is fuel when cranking. but not even a hint of trying to fire. what gives.

i have more piece of mind my pump and injectors are good but what’s next? compression test? how would one do that if i can’t get it up to operating temp? just not sure how to interpret the numbers.

i guess i’ll need to get a clear hose and see if it’s got air in the lines. you’d think it would still fire but run rough if that was the case.

maybe it’s just time to take it to a diesel
mechanic and get a second opinion! mine isn’t worth much as the first!!

i feel all over the place here but i just don’t know what’s next really. i feel like i’ve gone through the fuel delivery pretty thoroughly (except the clear line thing) and i know i have power to my one wire

Last edited:
i went back out this afternoon. i went over stuff to see if i missed something. i found this bolt was loose with this wire so tightened it up….
E24F695B-C41B-4206-B91E-32139E1D4F0A.jpeg

and it came to life! i don’t know what that wire is or if it’s even involved but i don’t care. it’s running!!

edit: so i went back and ran that wire and it’s purely a ground wire to the body. pretty small and dinky so i don’t think it really has anything to do with anything. it just goes to a bolt on the fire wall

Last edited:
That wire could just be coincidence.v shouldn't stop the engine firing, and it's not the only ground.

When I swapped pump and injectors on a 1HD-T in the past, it took ages to get fuel through the pump and injector lines, and get enough air out so the injectors would crack.
I remember being extremely frustrated by it, and running the battery down more than once.

Air compresses and acts as a cushion in the injector, so if there's to much air caught in them the spring preload isn't overcome and no fuel gets sprayed into the cylinder.

just did the clear hose fuel line check. no air bubbles at all coming in. i’ve got a feeling it’s heading to something electrical somewhere. i can’t remember if i’ve checked the solenoid wire voltage when it’s not hot starting. then i gotta tune this thing again. it’s dead sluggish and not producing boost

Geez.

Check your battery terminals and ensure they are clean and tight. Then run a straight 12 V wire directly to that fuel solenoid and just leave the thing connected. If you don’t seem to have your problem with the factory solenoid wiring completely bypassed, that’s probably your culprit. Otherwise, I’d say most 12 V electrical problems can be attributed to faulty ground somewhere within the circuit.

You have clear hose and no air bubbles, great.
Now crack the injector lines and tell me you have fuel while also seeing fuel travel through the clear hose.
If you are seeing plentiful and constant fuel then I can only surmise that you have a different issue.
Forgot if you played with the injection pump or not.
Believe you pulled the ACSD which is a good thing.
Have you tried stepping on the fuel pedal while cranking?
Seen a few diesels that want a bit of pedal when first firing up.
Oh yes as noted above directly wire the solenoid.
Good luck.

Wow-what an ordeal! 5 1/2 months later and back to the original problem ( seems like a couple of years - so much has happened since then ). No harm in having all the work done though. Now some of the original suggestions for troubleshooting are coming back. Like you said, may be time to tap out and have a professional diesel mechanic look at it.

You have clear hose and no air bubbles, great.
Now crack the injector lines and tell me you have fuel while also seeing fuel travel through the clear hose.
If you are seeing plentiful and constant fuel then I can only surmise that you have a different issue.
Forgot if you played with the injection pump or not.
Believe you pulled the ACSD which is a good thing.
Have you tried stepping on the fuel pedal while cranking?
Seen a few diesels that want a bit of pedal when first firing up.
Oh yes as noted above directly wire the solenoid.
Good luck.
yes i’ve tried giving it pedal and no start. when it’s running it runs fine (other than now i’ve had the pump rebuilt and calibrated it’s gutless and won’t build boost. i think i need to play with the fuel screw a bit). but yes acsd deleted pump and injectors rebuilt. what i can’t remember now in my earlier diagnostic tests was if i actually tested the solenoid power when having staring issues. i may have only tested it cold when everything worked so i need to check that again to make sure i’m not missing a simple wire issue that i’ve overlooked.

i’m going to try jumping the solenoid when having hot start issues tomorrow. i’ll also crack a line and see what kind of fuel pressure and volume i’m getting at the injector.

Wow-what an ordeal! 5 1/2 months later and back to the original problem ( seems like a couple of years - so much has happened since then ). No harm in having all the work done though. Now some of the original suggestions for troubleshooting are coming back. Like you said, may be time to tap out and have a professional diesel mechanic look at it.
yes i’m going to take it to a diesel mechanic monday. if i figure out it’s the wiring to the solenoid i can fix that i’ll just have them tune the pump and double check my timing.

having all this work done was something i wanted to do anyway i hoped it would fix my issue but it was time for an engine tune up anyway.

i’ve had the pump rebuilt and calibrated it’s gutless and won’t build boost. i think i need to play with the fuel screw a bit

Sounds underfueled.

Did you set the timing with dial gauge and SST when you put the pump back in?

The marks on the timing case will get you close to the ball park, but you may not even be inside the carpark without using the timing SST

i don’t have one of those tools. so i’ll get the guys at the diesel shop to make sure it’s dialled in. i’ll play a little with the fuel screw but i’ll get it fine tuned monday from guys who really know what they’re doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom