1hdt damage pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mac

Crew Member
Threads
Well, here it is. This what a 1HDT looks like when you run it without changing the BEB's and it implodes a bearing. This one was running without a bearing at all on the #4 hole. It's amazing it didn't let go a rod. I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing with it yet. Parts for a new crank and rebuild kit (4wheelauto & others) are coming in at the $3400+ mark. I'm also considering a replacement long block or shortblock if I can find one. I'd also consider a turboed 1HZ and sell of this lump for parts. The crank is worn .050 (1/16") passed tolerance and the conrod is a beautiful eggshape. As you can see the one piston has valve indents on the head but shows no visible signs of cracking although I won't reuse it. The valve check out straight. The other journals, rods and all other components look ok and appear to be within spec.

Let me hear from those that know...

Well, I can't seem to upload my pics- they're too big. I don't know how to resize. I should buy that star I've been thinking about...

Go to the help section about the pics. I down loaded infraview, works like a hot damm... its one of the sitckies in the help section. File size has to be below something 87 kb.

Well, I've been told by Geoff Walsh that a 1HZ crank will do quite nicely so I'm lookin' for one of those now. Anyone? I'll post in Wanted...

mac said:
Well, I've been told by Geoff Walsh that a 1HZ crank will do quite nicely so I'm lookin' for one of those now. Anyone? I'll post in Wanted...

It's the exact same part number as the 1HD-T and will be the same from anyone who quoted you.

I wanna see those pics!

hth's

gb

G&S cruiser parts have a used 1HZ crank in the current shipment. The shipment is sitting at the dock in Kobe waiting for the boat. The condition of the crank is unknown, ask them to grind it to spec for you and buy bearings accordingly.

A little bird told me all this.

mac this post is nothing without pics :flipoff2:

Best I could do on the short block factory new toyota...... block, pistons, crank ,assembled is 4280.00 plus tax.

Thanks Rob for doing that. I'm looking at a used 1HZ crank from a couple of sources now and that has brought the cost down. Geoff Walsh is supplying the rebuild kit at a reasonable cost as well so I think I'm going to go that route.

Brownbear, you impatient one, I'll re-configure my camera tomorrow and take some lower res. pics. I promise!

Out for now,
Peter

Good luck with the rapair, if all is well you should come out a lot less cost wise and still have a great engine.

Rob[

QUOTE=mac]Thanks Rob for doing that. I'm looking at a used 1HZ crank from a couple of sources now and that has brought the cost down. Geoff Walsh is supplying the rebuild kit at a reasonable cost as well so I think I'm going to go that route.

Brownbear, you impatient one, I'll re-configure my camera tomorrow and take some lower res. pics. I promise!

Out for now,
Peter[/QUOTE]

actually, if i was doing this i would look at the short block since it is already together and a direct bolt up. even going this rought you end up with a sweet ass rig for much less than invested than most especially since the engine will be brand new...
up to you of course

that price seems very reasonable there Rob...

I agree. Thats a great price. and NEW

Well, I'm still useless at posting pics. I've resized using irfanview but I keep getting an invalid file note when trying to upload. I'll get it figured when I have more time.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I agree that the cost for a shortblock is great and it would be a nice way to go, but it's still 5grand plus gaskets. I'm looking right now at a total cost of $2200CDN +tx for everything to do a full rebuild, with a used crank and conrod- that includes shipping from Geoff Walsh in AUS. The block doesn't need punching out- just a quick de-glaze (which I can do) so machining work is next to nil. I've also got a press so I can assemble the pistons and conrod assemblies. I just don't think I can justify more than twice the dough for the sake of saving some time and effort. I'm probably ordering everything up this week.

Peter

mac said:
Well, I'm still useless at posting pics. I've resized using irfanview but I keep getting an invalid file note when trying to upload. I'll get it figured when I have more time.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I agree that the cost for a shortblock is great and it would be a nice way to go, but it's still 5grand plus gaskets. I'm looking right now at a total cost of $2200CDN +tx for everything to do a full rebuild, with a used crank and conrod- that includes shipping from Geoff Walsh in AUS. The block doesn't need punching out- just a quick de-glaze (which I can do) so machining work is next to nil. I've also got a press so I can assemble the pistons and conrod assemblies. I just don't think I can justify more than twice the dough for the sake of saving some time and effort. I'm probably ordering everything up this week.

Peter

I am glad everything is working out so well for you. :)
Truth be told, I am sad I did not jump on this.
I paid much more for mine, and I think I got an okay good price.
I am happy you got such a great buy.

As for pics, I can help you.
I will PM you my email address.
Email them to me and I will host them for you (and resize if need be).
Then you can just link to my site.

Cheers,
Nick

Here you go peter:

1hdtdamage_001.jpg

1hdtdamage_002.jpg

1hdtdamage_003.jpg

1hdtdamage_004.jpg

1hdtdamage_005.jpg

1hdtdamage_006.jpg

1hdtdamage_008.jpg

1hdtdamage_011.jpg

1hdtdamage_012.jpg

1hdtdamage_013.jpg

Hey Peter,

I see you have the front of your truck apart. :) :)
Can you check a nagging suspicion for me.
"I think" the HDJ81 headlights are DOT/SAE approved (crossing my fingers)

I think its stamped in the housing of the back of the unit.
I have not had the time to rip mine apart and check.
Could you take yours out to see (you are almost there anyways).

If so could you document everything with clear, hi res images?

Thanks,
Nick

nickw said:
Hey Peter,

Thanks,
Nick

No problem Nick. It'll just take some time.
On another note: You'll notice the #4 comb. chamber is cleaner than the rest. It would'nt have been firing due to the slop in the conrod and would have been washed down with diesel.
I've also noted that the mains had the same pitting marks as the cons- not to scare everyone but I don't think very many of these engines have had the mains looked at. It's a massive job due to the bottom bearing cap being a complete assembly.
I'm very happy with the condition of the truck in general. The paint and body is great as is the interior. It makes this whole project worth it. Actually, I'm kind of having fun anyway (so far). I never even dreamed of owning an 80 as they were out of my league purchase cost-wise but I may end up having a lot less into this one than other good condition 60's that I've owned. I can hardly wait to drive this thing.
Cheers for now,
Peter

nickw said:
Hey Peter,

Thanks,
Nick

I replaced my headlight assemblies a few months ago to avoid the scowling faces of oncoming traffic. The Japanese assemblies spray left and into the faces of oncoming cars.

Stamped into the center of the plastic are
SAE HR89
DOT JAPAN

Above them was a serial number I found difficult to see clearly, but you probably didn't need that.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom