1HDT and Steering System Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to get opinion from fellow members who may have experience similar problem as I have now. I have an HDJ81 1994 model original RHD. I replaced steering arm & steering box with OEM LHD components. I converted to LHD steering system. However, the steering effort were so hard that you can't use it. I replaced with new aftermarket pump but the issue remain. Have any idea what made wrong the conversion. The linkages appears simple. Thanks in advance.

Truck is full time 4wd and the LHD box you used is for a part time 4wd truck?

I have noticed when you make a full time 4wd 80 part time the steering gets very light.

Cheers

As far as I understand, the steering effort is like having no pump or no fluid at all.
The LHD steering gear is new? If not new, do you know anything about it's history? Was it kept dry for a long time? If yes, you may need to overhaul it.

There are 2 pump models, one for progressive steering and a standard one. The progressive one should have some wiring harness on top of it.
Do you have any part# of the LHD steering gear you installed? The standard one should be 44110-60211 or 44110-60212

There is also a filling procedure, this involves lifting your front axle of the ground, and going side to side for about 10-15 times with your engine on, while filling the steering fluid reservoir.

Last edited:
My RHD and LHD steering are both progressives and both used. Is there a way I can disable the progressive valve? I disconnected the wiring connection for both setup. Thanks souch.

My RHD and LHD steering are both progressives and both used. Is there a way I can disable the progressive valve? I disconnected the wiring connection for both setup. Thanks souch.

From memory, the progressive steering system will give the same assistance at low speed for parking etc, and reduces steering assistance at high speed.

The difference is in the steering box, not the pump

Looks like the problem you have originates from the steering gear, not the pump. This assuming that you had everything for the LHD conversion, cooler pipe and hoses included, (p/n 44420-60230 - for progressive steering) and installed everything correctly. You should check that the pressure hose, return pipe / hose and reservoir to pump hose are flowing freely, and since the pump is new, the only remaining suspect is the steering gear.
The valves for progressive steering are slowly closing the faster you go, and thus allow less fluid to go trough the steering gear. If you disconnect the wiring, in theory the valves should remain open. But it's also possible that without wiring, the system is just bypassing the steering gear, and the fluid coming from the pump is just flowing back to the reservoir.
But anyway, as the LHD steering gear was not new and you don't know for how long and how it was stored, I'd recommend a complete overhaul. If it's not holding pressure, the fluid is just flowing freely trough the steering gear and back to the reservoir.
If you want to skip the progressive steering, the best would be to look for a standard steering gear, I wrote the p/n in my previous post.

You can also get power steering pumps bench tested, they will tell you how many psi it is pushing

Looks like the problem you have originates from the steering gear, not the pump. This assuming that you had everything for the LHD conversion, cooler pipe and hoses included, (p/n 44420-60230 - for progressive steering) and installed everything correctly. You should check that the pressure hose, return pipe / hose and reservoir to pump hose are flowing freely, and since the pump is new, the only remaining suspect is the steering gear.
The valves for progressive steering are slowly closing the faster you go, and thus allow less fluid to go trough the steering gear. If you disconnect the wiring, in theory the valves should remain open. But it's also possible that without wiring, the system is just bypassing the steering gear, and the fluid coming from the pump is just flowing back to the reservoir.
But anyway, as the LHD steering gear was not new and you don't know for how long and how it was stored, I'd recommend a complete overhaul. If it's not holding pressure, the fluid is just flowing freely trough the steering gear and back to the reservoir.
If you want to skip the progressive steering, the best would be to look for a standard steering gear, I wrote the p/n in my previous post.
Thanks for your wonderful thought. I bought a used standard power steering from a fellow memberand installed it. However, the hard steering problem still there and no improvement at all. By the way, the one I got is from FZJ and mine is HDJ81. I dont see problem there.

As I noted at the beginning, I replaced my pump with aftermarket. Obviously, I have to remove the drive gear from the OEM pump to the new pump. However, after installing the pump and run the engine a noise is coming from the pump. Can somebody help me - what would be the clearance between the pump drive gear to the pump surface? I learned that too much clearance would create noise. It is probably due to gear meshing are not properly engage. Thanks

As I noted at the beginning, I replaced my pump with aftermarket. Obviously, I have to remove the drive gear from the OEM pump to the new pump. However, after installing the pump and run the engine a noise is coming from the pump. Can somebody help me - what would be the clearance between the pump drive gear to the pump surface? I learned that too much clearance would create noise. It is probably due to gear meshing are not properly engage. Thanks
hi
did u ever figure out ur hard steering

I believed so. I haven't installed gauge but just looking on the return line flow it appears ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom