1hdfte/ct20b/ct26small rebuild and/or hybridize for 1hdt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am moving this into its own thread to consolidate and hopefully get more advice....

Hi, looking for a mild low budget upgrade for my 1hdt I decided to go with the 17204-170401hdfte turbo. Picked up one cheap on gumtree. Had a damaged compressor wheel, but otherwise it is in great shape (no axial play, 75 microns radial, turbine Is in great shape, housings are also good with no cracks etc.).

I plan to purchase:
- melett major rebuild kit part number 1500–322–755 (129$ )
-KTS billet compressor wheel KTS p# 2603C (115$). 2603C
-compressor housing (either purchase a Supra 7mgte housing, mamba adapter housing or machine adapters for the 1hdfte housing or machine my current ct26 housing to fit the new compressor wheel)
-balance turbine shaft along with the new compressor wheel

I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track before I went forward. Specifically is the kts wheel appropriate or should I consider another option given that I need to modify or buy a custom compressor housing either way? KTS, mamba and kinugawa make some alternate wheels that would fit with customization but i am not interested in testing out unproven configurations.

I have access to a machine shop, so that is just time/materials for me. Mostly i want a proven configuration that will be reliable, build boost earlier and maintain it at somewhat higher rpm's than the stock CT26. I do realize now that all the parts end up adding up (atleast i picked up the 1hdfte turbo for only 50$ + shipping).

KTS also makes a 10+0 with 50/67 inducer/exducer p#2646c. this would be closer to a TD05 18G. Would require machining the compressor housing, but i will probably be doing this anyway. Also an 11+0 in the OE dimensions is shown as well.

Mamba also makes a rebuild kit for about 1/2 the cost of the melett one, but I really wasn’t sure of quality/repeatability of the kit coming from China. They have been used by others for ct26 rebuilds.

I really could use some advice on the compressor wheel selection. Has any one here hybridized a 1hdfte turbo? Should I go with the stock billet replacement or something larger?

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry these updates are more in depth than I’ve gone with turbos but if that turbo came from Australia pretty sure you got it off me! Very glad it measures up so well, I did think it felt good, bloody annoying about the wheel damage...

I’m sure someone that’s played around with these will chime in - in the mean time have you spent a while searching the site? I’ve read quite a few references over the years, a lot of it is embedded in the depths of the gturbo thread I think...

Sorry these updates are more in depth than I’ve gone with turbos but if that turbo came from Australia pretty sure you got it off me! Very glad it measures up so well, I did think it felt good, bloody annoying about the wheel damage...

I’m sure someone that’s played around with these will chime in - in the mean time have you spent a while searching the site? I’ve read quite a few references over the years, a lot of it is embedded in the depths of the gturbo thread I think...

Yes, it was from you. Thanks! I never got around to asking, but how did the wheel get damaged anyway? Just wondering... And how many kms did it have on it before it was pulled?

I have read through most of the gturbo thread but haven't found anyone who has replaced/upgraded a stock 1hdfte turbo compressor wheel. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Thanks again for getting it shipped out so quickly

Incase anyone else is looking, here is a 60$ ebay CT26 small rebuild kit
and from mamba 87$
and from kinugawa 79$
I am really not sure about the quality of these rebuild kits vs the melett. Others on mud have used similar kits from ebay.

Here is a 69$ billet compressor wheel OEM fit (45.9/64.89 with extended tips and 11+0 blade configuration)
Similar one from Mamba for 95$
And from kinugawa for 99$
I suspect that the mamba and kinugawa wheels both are manufactured by KTS (others who have purchased mamba billet wheels have suggested this as well). they both say "balanced by schenck germany" and the kinugawa p# ends in 2613, which is the equivalent KTS p#.

Last edited:
Adding some info about my configuration and goals...
-Currently stock hdj81 w/ original CT26 turbo
-Goal: Better overall drivability / towing capacity. Increased low end power and faster spool + somewhat better maintained power at higher rpm's for passing on freeway
-Planned modifications to implement along with turbo swap:
3" exhaust and dump pipe.
EGT, transmission, and boost probe/gauges
-Future possible mods:
Front Mount Intercooler
Injector service
pump tuning

I am looking for a turbo build that work well with the planned modifications running stock to 15 psi boost. I also desire the flexibility to run a 3-5 psi higher after adding a FMIC.

Yes, it was from you. Thanks! I never got around to asking, but how did the wheel get damaged anyway? Just wondering... And how many kms did it have on it before it was pulled?
glad it went to a good home... I used the engine in a conversion - the donor had been in a front quarter collision and at the time of finding the damage I didn’t know what caused it - I assumed anything from the accident as the intake hose had ruptured. Then later on I found a small piece of cast alloy missing from the intake barb on the compressor inlet - I reckon it was that.

Engine had 395k km when I put it in, but no idea of the history so it’s not necessarily original. The engine had genuine filters on it so I assume it was well cared for...

I'd steer clear of the XATURBO kit. Everything I've seen they have for sale is as Chinsy AF

I'd have no hesitation with mamba or kinugawa parts kits.
Thanks for letting me know. Btw, was your 1hdfte turbo a 6+6 or 11+0 compressor wheel? I am leaning towards the standard size compressor wheel as I won’t run high enough boost to take utilize the larger wheel. Still wondering if I should go with the original 6+6 or the 11+0 which from what I have read with boost earlier but fall off at higher rpms comparatively.

I got busy with work and didn’t pull the trigger yet. Leaning towards either the stock dimension 6+6, 11+0 or the custom kts p#26F1 (49/65 point milled). I am unsure how to calculate the contour profile of the custom wheel as needed in order to modify the compressor housing to fit.

Can it be calculated using the dimensions kts provides or will kts provide the contour shape directly? I need some help from someone who has modified a compressor housing to fit a custom wheel before I proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom