1HD-T Pistons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys
Unfortunately i broke my loved 1HD-T engine on our last highway trip. Short story: Too much power, high exhaust temps leaded to a blown head gasket and 5 of 6 pistons are melted....

Last week we took the engine out and striped it so it is now ready to go to the engine rebuild shop, waiting for his reply if he needs oversized pistons or not..

anyway i was already looking out for new pistons (13101-1702002) and found that they are not so easy to get. Taking then a look at the Terrain Tamer piston catalogue i found out that the 1HD-T has two different types of pistons, the older ones have a 38.9mm combustion chamber and the newer one a 42mm. the pistons with 42mm combustion chamber (13101-1704002) are much easier to get.

Now the question: can i swap the 38.9 pistons with the newer 42mm pistons?

Thank you for your advice.

Hello guys
Unfortunately i broke my loved 1HD-T engine on our last highway trip. Short story: Too much power, high exhaust temps leaded to a blown head gasket and 5 of 6 pistons are melted....

Last week we took the engine out and striped it so it is now ready to go to the engine rebuild shop, waiting for his reply if he needs oversized pistons or not..

anyway i was already looking out for new pistons (13101-1702002) and found that they are not so easy to get. Taking then a look at the Terrain Tamer piston catalogue i found out that the 1HD-T has two different types of pistons, the older ones have a 38.9mm combustion chamber and the newer one a 42mm. the pistons with 42mm combustion chamber (13101-1704002) are much easier to get.

Now the question: can i swap the 38.9 pistons with the newer 42mm pistons?

Thank you for your advice.

Earlier ones were for the 80 series 1HD-T powered trucks.

Later ones were for the GEN market 1HD-T in the HDJ100 trucks.

38FFECDB-22D1-43D9-AE53-F021F105563F.jpeg

They are interchangeable in terms of the block.

You would need to pair them with the appropriate injectors.

Earlier ones were for the 80 series 1HD-T powered trucks.

Later ones were for the GEN market 1HD-T in the HDJ100 trucks.

View attachment 3282633

They are interchangeable in terms of the block.

You would need to pair them with the appropriate injectors.
Thank you for that useful reply, it is a little bummer because i replaced all injectors 1 year ago :-/

But ok, if i switch to the 42mm pistons all i need to do is take also the newer injectors? can anybody provide me a part number?

is there any benefit of the 42mm pistons compared to the 38.9mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom