1HD-T Does not go over 2000rpms (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay guys, I'm perplexed. Okay, actually, I'm Goose but my Land Cruiser has me stumped.

I recently bought an HDJ81 here in Japan. Drives fine, has a few issues that I can sort out, etc.
However there's one issue I can't quite figure out. It's an automatic but when I mash the accelerator and try to exceed 2000 rpms, it won't go over. I've tried all sorts of throttle positions, speed ranges, and varying degrees of roll in.
The shop I bought it from said to change the fuel filter, that was the issue. I haven't done this yet however I'm not getting any sputtering or surging up to 2k rpm.
It doesn't rev limit (bounce revs) or anything else weird it just seems to run out of power.

I'll add this, it just passed Japanese safety inspection and emissions etc. It's very possible my exhaust is stuffed with air filters, steel wool, and anything else they could get to lower ppm. I have noticed at idle there minimal exhaust coming from the tip which concerns me.

The green turbo light does come on thankfully and it makes minimal whistling noises so I think it's working.

Anyways, id appreciate the information.

Could be a lot of things but easy thing to check is the fuel filter, filter housing, filter prime pump and filter housing hoses. A little air leak can cause a lot of agita.

Is the prime pump bolted to the filter? Sorry, first 1HD, catching up on locations etc.

Disconnect the exhaust as close to the turbo on the tailpipe side as you can, then try to rev it.... Report back... Be a little careful tho you don't spin it too high... If it revs fine, you have exhaust blockage...

Filter base lining is a good idea. Check your linkages as well. Have someone depress the foot pedal fully (engine off) and check that the throttle linkage at the pump moves to the maximum.

The primer is build into the fuel filter housing. If you have not downloaded the FSM, consider doing so.

hth's
gb

So it revs freely to 4k rpm in park but stops directly at 2k (+/-) when driving.

Downloading the FSM when I get to a computer.

Linkages are moving fully. I'm going to get a filter and change it. Worst that can happen is I have a new filter.

Okay, I'm now thoroughly confused. Rpms won't exceed about 2k in drive. Put it in a low gear, goes to 3500ish. put it back In drive, cruising along, put the accelerator down, won't pass 2k. I really don't get it. It's got mechanical fueling. There shouldn't be an ECU issue.

Ordering a fuel filter and gonna look over that bit when it comes in. Linkages all work and hit the stops. Exhaust doesn't seem blocked, taking it off to check though. Could it be something more serious or internal?

If the engines been held back for any reason, be it fuel, air, choked, dragged down it will have smoke be it either black or white. Is there any smoke?

No smoke.

Oil in the intake tubes. Oil by the turbo. Yep.

In drive will in go through the gears? Is it kicking down properly?

In drive it goes through the gears, it only kicks down when I slow down. Like brake to a much lower speed. It doesn't shift down when I put my foot into it or hit a grade.

If the engines been held back for any reason, be it fuel, air, choked, dragged down it will have smoke be it either black or white. Is there any smoke?
Minor smoke on start up. Then it stops. No smoke otherwise.

In drive it goes through the gears, it only kicks down when I slow down. Like brake to a much lower speed. It doesn't shift down when I put my foot into it or hit a grade.

Download the factory service manual, and make sure your trans kickdown cable is properly adjusted. If you can't coax a downshift by mashing the throttle, then it's probably out of adjustment, and makes a big difference when it's proper. Have you tried manually shifting, and holding a gear and seeing if the revs will climb as they should?

Also check if there is a vacuum operated device just above the max rpm screw. I'm not talking about the idle up, it would look similiar but be on the opposite side.

Download the factory service manual, and make sure your trans kickdown cable is properly adjusted. If you can't coax a downshift by mashing the throttle, then it's probably out of adjustment, and makes a big difference when it's proper. Have you tried manually shifting, and holding a gear and seeing if the revs will climb as they should?

I have the FSM, I'll look into that.

When I manually select a gear, it will go over 2k but it's slow. Really slow. Makes me think it's boost related.

All I see above the idle up and max screw is the boost compensator. It's vacuum line looks good.

Funny story, kick down cable needs adjusting so much, it doesn't even exist...

image.jpg

I have the FSM, I'll look into that.

When I manually select a gear, it will go over 2k but it's slow. Really slow. Makes me think it's boost related.

All I see above the idle up and max screw is the boost compensator. It's vacuum line looks good.

No power valve then. That's not a bad thing. How long have you owned this? Has it been like it since you got it or developed?

It's had a kickdown cable at some point. It looks like you can see its track in the linkage. You can unplug the line off the boost comp and see if it makes a difference. I suspect if it's not smoking it's not getting enough fuel.

I just got it last week, it's been like this since I got it. I'll unplug that line. See how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom