1HD-FTE (Land Cruiser 4.2TD) Limp Mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a problem with my 1HD-FTE that's been going on for a while. Car enters limp mode randomly when sitting at it idle (normally at trafic lights. Doesn't happen always, can happen in a couple of days or in a couple of minutes).
Car has OBD 1 and i have read about connecting the pins together in the diagnostic port to make the Check Engine Light flash in order to read the code out.
Problem is, to read the code I have seen that i must first shut the engine off.
When I turn the engine off and back on again ,the limp mode goes away. Thus, I can not read the code.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Serious fault codes are stored until they are cleared.

Looks like you have a 1999 build.
If the starting is good, and full throttle (uphill) is good, then the most common fault on the early years is the connection between the EDU and the Spill Control Valve on the IP. The plug there is not good for the strong pulse driving the SCV, and was changed on the later builds. Easy to rectify with standard parts. Also grounding of the EDU can be a problem in case of rust.

Btw, reading codes is easy with TechStream on an old laptop. You just need the cheap MiniVCI adaptor. (It's M-OBD, not OBD1 or 2, but the plug under the dash is standard OBD2 type)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom