1fzfe repair work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RocketCityCrzrs

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rocketcitycruisers.com
Ok guys, this is going to be another gimme your opinion thread so here we go. Looking to get the head gasket and a seal refresh on my 80. It has 261k on the clock and burns a little coolant and a little oil, my assumption is just weak HG and weak valve seals. Truck runs fine but want to so the preventative to keep it that way.
With 2 kids and a wife, time keeps me from doing it myself so I'm looking around for someone to tackle it for me. I'm on North alabama so the closest to me is ACC. I've read stellar reviews on mud about them and contacted them first. They are super easy going people but I'm a little blown away by pricing.
They quoted me $10,500 to:
Pull head and rebuild (and associated work and gaskets)
New rear heater hoses
Replace Front crank seal

That seems a bit steep, but is that going rate for an exotic shop like this?

That sounds what it would cost to do a full engine rebuild. A head gasket with valve job with labor I'd assume would be less than half that.

FYI just paid $2k for a head gasket repair with valve job on my 4.7L V8...

Whoa! I'll fly to AL, do the work, and warranty it for that price. Just the head rebuild cost $800 with me supplying the seals. Sounds like they really don't want to do the work.

the price they quoted you is insane. maybe this will give you an idea of what to expect.

i had a very good local shop do a complete engine rebuild for me including head work and boring over the engine. i got my gasket kit from beno and upgraded to arp head studs. the total job was a little north of $3500. i did the pull and install myself and ended up spending another 1K on while i was in there stuff. i am sure a local shop could R and R the engine for no more than 2 grand.

if you want a complete rebuild, and want someone that knows 80s to do the work, i would be more than happy to install one for you. it can be done in a weekend if all goes well. i have a complete core ready to go that i could have rebuilt and you could drive to my place in GA and i would do the work for you. i did a nearly complete R and R for @athensrep a few months back and can vouch for my work.

Whoa! I'll fly to AL, do the work, and warranty it for that price. Just the head rebuild cost $800 with me supplying the seals. Sounds like they really don't want to do the work.

I totally agree man, sounds like an overprice just to get out of the job. OE gaskets from Toyota are extremely reasonable and no amount of labor cost could justify that imho

Wow, that is steep. Is there any chance you or they got your needs/repairs mixed up? or when you say "pull head and rebuild" are your referring to a complete motor build? I feel like there is some communication problems here....do you have a hard copy of the quote, or a breakdown?

I've heard good things about the ACC crew so this is surprising, unless this is in fact a quote for a full engine rebuild...

Wow, that is steep. Is there any chance you or they got your needs/repairs mixed up? or when you say "pull head and rebuild" are your referring to a complete motor build? I feel like there is some communication problems here....do you have a hard copy of the quote, or a breakdown?

I've heard good things about the ACC crew so this is surprising, unless this is in fact a quote for a full engine rebuild...

Agreed, however I did confirm with them over the phone what I wanted done. To give credit where it's due, I have always heard good things about them, and I know you get what you pay for. The paper quote I got from them did include head rebuild with magnafluxing, new valves, and seals. Oem Toyota gaskets, and a timing chain.

I just couldn't even see having a rip and rebuild motor costing that much but I could be wrong. I am certainly not discrediting acc, they have a great reputation and I'm sure my truck would be 100% right if they did it I just feel it is a little steep

in the first post you also mentioned that they were going to do the rear heater lines, not saying that makes the 10,500 reasonable but did the quote change wit out getting that work done

I got a complete engine rebuild for $2200, that included Toyota pistons. Took a weekend to pull it, 2 weeks for the shop to do the work, and a weekend to put it back in. The shop even put in a warranty for the work and was only down about 3 and a half weeks

in the first post you also mentioned that they were going to do the rear heater lines, not saying that makes the 10,500 reasonable but did the quote change wit out getting that work done

Well the heater lines were only 65 bux for the parts and since they had access to them easily they didn't add any additional labor

Well the heater lines were only 65 bux for the parts and since they had access to them easily they didn't add any additional labor

so they were just doing the hoses directly behind the engine, I was reading it like they were replacing back to the rear heater core which would be much more involved and would partly explain the high cost

I'm in Chattanooga, recently did HG/etc. on my '97, and for $10,499 will be glad to do the work you mentioned for you :)

On a more serious note, there's a shop here in Chattanooga with plenty of LC and 80 series experience that may be a good option for you if you can't find something closer. They are:

Blackwell Automotive

Ask for Justin, he's a mechanic there who owns multiple 80s and has plenty of experience working on them.

Yup. I paid about $1,800 to have my head pulled and rebuilt with valve job. Complete engine rebuild with brand new Toyota short block was close to $10k but that included head, R & R and all new water pump, radiator et al.

The paper quote I got from them did include head rebuild with magnafluxing, new valves, and seals.

Somebody's pulling your rope.......

It's an aluminum head. You don't "magnaflux" an aluminum head. You do dye penetrant crack checking and pressure testing.

I have heard good things about ACC, but the folks that created that good reputation are no longer there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom