1FZFE fuel filter, rounded banjo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok all,
So the fuel filter banjo bolt it’s rounded off. Fuel rail side (rear) any tips on removing this?

I’m thinking of removing the upper intake, removing the fuel rail banjo bolt, cutting the hard line from filter to fuel rail, installing new hard line. Anyone done this route or have a better idea? Figured I could replace some hoses, sensors and gaskets wile I’m in there.
58562412-2DD0-47F6-AD0F-8E3A28CCA34A.jpeg

I was almost in the same boat as you last month. The previous owner/tech who replaced my fuel filter used a POS wrench and mangled the banjo bolt and I swear it took over 100ft lbs of torque to pop it loose with a flank drive 6-point shallow socket. I have basically every style wrench known to man as well as all types of swivels/sockets one could dream of and I was about to list it on marketplace, or do an LS swap until I finally had success and managed to pop it loose taking a lot of my skin when it finally moved. The location on this filter makes me want to punch an engineer as this has to be one of the worst fuel filter locations I have ever seen on a Toyota right there with the third gen 4runner. Makes me miss my 100 series (Almost). Thank god I wasn't with Toyota at the time of the 80 series design, as I would have to punch myself LOL.

I was almost in the same boat as you last month. The previous owner/tech who replaced my fuel filter used a POS wrench and mangled the banjo bolt and I swear it took over 100ft lbs of torque to pop it loose with a flank drive 6-point shallow socket. I have basically every style wrench known to man as well as all types of swivels/sockets one could dream of and I was about to list it on marketplace, or do an LS swap until I finally had success and managed to pop it loose taking a lot of my skin when it finally moved. The location on this filter makes me want to punch an engineer as this has to be one of the worst fuel filter locations I have ever seen on a Toyota right there with the third gen 4runner. Makes me miss my 100 series (Almost). Thank god I wasn't with Toyota at the time of the 80 series design, as I would have to punch myself LOL.

Not to “defend” the engineers but I think the right hand drives are much easier to work on but yea totally agree. I’m gonna have to google that socket

Last edited:
Not to decent the engineers but I think the right hand drives are much easier to work on but yea totally agree. I’m gonna have to google that socket
For the 80’s that aren’t that stuck my long flexible head wrenches do well for that banjo bolt. ICON has a damn good set at harbor freight that I’d recommend. They also work on rounded bolt heads quite well.

@calokie

Run down a Snap-On truck. Flank drive is a Snap-On design. All their sockets are flank drive and some of their open end wrenches are called flank drive plus. Snap On patented these technologies first and they have it figured out.

Snap On chrome tools really are a step above others. I used to sell Snap On and I have seen some stuff.....

I would honestly recommend trying a Snap On wrench. I had a guy climb on the tool truck once and ask for a tool to remove a stripped drain plug on his jeep. I told the guy if I can remove your drain plug with an open end wrench you have to buy a set of the wrenches. He ended up with a new set of wrenches.. Snap On's open end flank drive plus wrench are that good.

@calokie

...I would honestly recommend trying a Snap On wrench. I had a guy climb on the tool truck once and ask for a tool to remove a stripped drain plug on his jeep. I told the guy if I can remove your drain plug with an open end wrench you have to buy a set of the wrenches. He ended up with a new set of wrenches.. Snap On's open end flank drive plus wrench are that good.

But has he finished paying you off yet ? :rofl:

Jason

For the 80’s that aren’t that stuck my long flexible head wrenches do well for that banjo bolt. ICON has a damn good set at harbor freight that I’d recommend. They also work on rounded bolt heads quite well.
I have a set, flex and box, love them. I had a mechanic in there I might try my icon set. He had snap on tools. You access it from the left front wheel well?

The location on this filter makes me want to punch an engineer as this has to be one of the worst fuel filter locations I have ever seen on a Toyota right there with the third gen 4runner. Makes me miss my 100 series (Almost)...
2nd gen 4Runner location kinda sucks too. :(

Love snapon but my 80 already has me poor lol

$30.00 dollars for a wrench that will actually remove a stripped bolt or removing the upper intake, removing the fuel rail banjo bolt, cutting the hard line from filter to fuel rail, installing new hard line.

Sounds like an easy decisions to me....

Anyone working on 25+ year old cars should have a set of these

download.jpeg

There's various sets. These things have successfully removed many destroyed bolts and studs for me over a few old cruisers.

Cheaper than selling your soul in the StrapOn truck

Tossing this in the mix if everything else fails. Haven't had to remove a banjo bolt this way but if you can get a grip on the bolt it might be worth a try as a last ditch effort before cutting things up.

When nothing else worked on a few rounded off nuts holding the fan clutch to the water pump I used a small pair of the Milwaukee Torque Lock pliers (their design of vice grips). The difference with this design is that you can get the vice grip jaws/teeth much tighter using a small tool to crank down on the tightening screw which has an eyelet compared to standard vice grips where you just tighten a knurled knob with your fingers. One of the smaller size pliers may fit in that space. FWIW

Last edited:
Anyone working on 25+ year old cars should have a set of these

View attachment 3091481

There's various sets. These things have successfully removed many destroyed bolts and studs for me over a few old cruisers.

Cheaper than selling your soul in the StrapOn truck

You can buy also buy those from a Snap On truck, usually cheaper than you can buy them from Lowes.

I think it's funny how everyone instantly assumes everything on a Snap On truck is a rip off.

So many people trust professional mechanics enough to let them do repairs on things like brakes that can literally be a life or death repair but than assume mechanics are idiots for buying there tools from Snap On, Mac, or Cornwell etc. Most professional mechanics are smarter than people think.

You can buy a pocket knife for $5.00 dollars but I bet most of the people on this forum have spent at least $50.00 + on a pocket knife. Why should it be any different with other tools?

I stripped a brand new brake line nut with a brand new Napa brake line wrench. I bought the wrench just so I wouldn't strip that nut. After the brake line nut stripped I tried my open end Snap On wrench and it took the nut right off. I will happily pay $30.00 for a made in America wrench that works so well.

You can buy also buy those from a Snap On truck, usually cheaper than you can buy them from Lowes.

I think it's funny how everyone instantly assumes everything on a Snap On truck is a rip off.

So many people trust professional mechanics enough to let them do repairs on things like brakes that can literally be a life or death repair but than assume mechanics are idiots for buying there tools from Snap On, Mac, or Cornwell etc. Most professional mechanics are smarter than people think.

You can buy a pocket knife for $5.00 dollars but I bet most of the people on this forum have spent at least $50.00 + on a pocket knife. Why should it be any different with other tools?

I stripped a brand new brake line nut with a brand new Napa brake line wrench. I bought the wrench just so I wouldn't strip that nut. After the brake line nut stripped I tried my open end Snap On wrench and it took the nut right off. I will happily pay $30.00 for a made in America wrench that works so well.

My brother worked in auto repairs working on prestige vehicles. He bought a metric shìt tonne of SnapOn stuff early on and throughout his apprenticeship.
After shifting to a different few shops, he came to the conclusion that while SnapsOn are excellent, most of the time there's better value for money available elsewhere.

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom