1FZ to a H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What Camilo did was just cut H151 bell housing and H55F bellhousing and weld 'em together .. you can see in one of those last pics in the FB page ..

here

421363_370881326257603_1515135971_n.jpg

but as I state before you can source the right bell housing to match 1FZ ( actually came from HZJ70 ) with any H55F ..

What Camilo did was just cut H151 bell housing and H55F bellhousing and weld 'em together .. you can see in one of those last pics in the FB page ..

here

but as I state before you can source the right bell housing to match 1FZ ( actually came from HZJ70 ) with any H55F ..

Would that actually hold up? In the long run I mean. I've had the same idea, but dismissed it due to it sounding unsafe?

Would that actually hold up? In the long run I mean. I've had the same idea, but dismissed it due to it sounding unsafe?

Honestly have no idea .. I thought it's a couple of month old . but the one thing that I'm sure is Camilo really use this 80 ..

Honestly have no idea .. I thought it's a couple of month old . but the one thing that I'm sure is Camilo really use this 80 ..

Well if he uses it often I would imagine its till holding up. Does he use it for off roaring as well?

Well if he uses it often I would imagine its till holding up. Does he use it for off roaring as well?

not really .. or I may said not that often ..

not really .. or I may said not that often ..

gotcha. so this wwouldn't be a really useable way to go about it then. as i plan on using it as a DD still.

I called Specter and spoke directly to Marv about this. Apparently, there was a FZJ-7x that was sold in the Middle East and in South America that had the correct bell housing to use with an H55.

Has the existence of this rare, pink unicorn ever been established?

Many hours searching and I can find absolutely no evidence to support.

What Camilo did was just cut H151 bell housing and H55F bellhousing......

Would one think it'd be reasonably easy enough for a BH to be cut, based on?

I've ready every post of yours to this effect, but believe Brian (edited: Jowett) discounted it's viability in a thread I can no longer find.

That said, do you still contend that the 1HZ BH will facilitate an H55 to 1FZ-FE marriage?

Nice thread revival. In my personal research the real unicorn is the flywheel. Cut BHs and put whatever trans you want. Try to find a flywheel that fits the 1FZ... That's another story.

In my opinion, the cost, time, trying to locate parts, etc of putting a 1FZ in front of a manual isn't worth it. There are kits out there that will bolt a 2UZ to a manual (not cheap either) and you actually have some trans options that can be sourced easily and inexpensively in the US. PLUS, the 2UZ is an AWESOME engine and can be had for pretty cheap. Hell, I saw a whole wrecked Tundra for sale on CL not long ago for ~$1500. Everything you need for a swap and then some.

It's just my opinion and taste, but the 1FZ-FE is a better option for vintage swaps, since replacing any number of I-6s, to which it's the pinnacle of design of the Fs ~50 year history.

That, and it is a good engine, with, using Gumby's (modified)
sentiments, the right kind of power".

2UZ-FE does kick ass and my favorite late model power plant, even better than the 3UR that I currently have that replaced, but is a complex and costly swap, if the end product is held to a degree I'd feel the effort and money warrant.

A simplified 1FZ-FE mated to a readily available US H55/BF1A would be a solid drivetrain with proven durability, continued parts availability long into the foreseeable future, and it's not near the dog it's made out to be, even in my fat ass PP80, pushing 37s.

I like the power of the 1FZ and think it's right at home in a big wagon. Just seems like it's a lot of trouble.

If you swapped in an early 2UZ (non-VVTi and non-immobilizer) it would be an "easy" swap. At least the same amount of work as a 1FZ. Also, there are kits for 1Uz/2UZ swaps that have the BH, clutch stuff, flywheel, etc so you don't have to scrounge around and try to find stuff that will work for a non-existent or non-imported (Toyota's favorite phrase) part. Just need a manual trans and transfer.

Edit: Here's one of the swap kits. Under 1000 bucks. This is for a 1U but same concept.

http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/Complete-kits_c7.htm

That said, do you still contend that the 1HZ BH will facilitate an H55 to 1FZ-FE marriage?

facilitate yes .. bolt on, no ..

since I can't ( never test ) certify 31111-60230 will bolt in behind 1FZ-FE thus it will be bolt on to the H55F

Has the existence of this rare, pink unicorn ever been established?
Many hours searching and I can find absolutely no evidence to support.

I remember talking to Marv specter about it. I don't remember the exact details of the conversation because it was 13-14 years ago...

Just seems like it's a lot of trouble.

So is rebuilding an F...

Why I've been giving thought to simplifying by minimizing ECU functions with a preferred H55/BF1A, or even an H151/HF1A (levered).

Keep it simple, following Toyota's lead on the early FZJ-7Xs, utilizing the small harness and single ECU.

If you swapped in an early 2UZ (non-VVTi and non-immobilizer) it would be an "easy" swap.

Let me know how you want the check made out and where to mail it.....

I have a good round number for Christo and his address, although the price isn't indicative of easy.

Loved my 2UZ-FE and it would be a kick ass Toyota option, but think the 1FZ-FE is equally as viable.

facilitate yes .. bolt on, no ..

since I can't ( never test ) certify 31111-60230 will bolt in behind 1FZ-FE thus it will be bolt on to the H55F

Thought that's what Jowett ordered...

31111-60230 (1HZ/H55) and 31111-60250 (1FZ-FE/H15X) appear different on the block side, and only I'd know to compare to.

I remember talking to Marv specter about it. I don't remember the exact details of the conversation because it was 13-14 years ago...

Impressive how details have resulted as far back as '00-'01 from PBB and even email distribution list from RMLCA or RS.

They exists. Can't determine if in OE form or a concoction and there's no details beyond the description of given.

I've attempted to contact Flat Out Racing, who's page claims the exact set up, but no reply, as of yet.

This 1HZ H55F bell housing arrived. The good and the bad news... it bolts up to the 1FZ block... only 5 of the large main mounting bolts align, two do not, and the starter bolts do not align. There is enough material in the bell housing to drill and tap for the 1FZ starter bolts. One of the dowel pins needs the hole drilled, the other will need a small amount welding/filler, then a drill and tap.

The short answer, do-able, but will require work.

How bored are you?

Brian has to be but one of a handful that have successfully mated ANYTHING to a 1FZ-FE.

Think I smell some profit opportunities, on this endeavor.

Yeah there is def a demand out there. As long as it could be done for reasonable $$$ and still turn a profit, I think you would stay busy doing swaps long into the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom