1fz-fe advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for sound advice.

Problem Statement:
I just bought a 97 with a blown HG. And need to decide whatto do with the engine, some background first. The PO had the engine rebuilt in 2012. The rebuild occurred due to spun rod bearings and I was told that a sleeve was installed on one of the cylinders. Additionally the following was done, new Pistons,rings,rod bearings, main bearings, polished/reground crank,polished cams, cam bearings, new lifters and rebuilders gasket kit.

In 2013, the PO blew the HG when he lost a belt and heard a pop. Got the HG replaced and head was surfaced and valve job occurred.

In 2016, the HG went again (then I bought it). This was 38k miles after the HG repair in 13'. I confirmed they used a felpro gasket and unsure about new head bolts for any/all engine work.

Proposal:
1. Send it to the shop, pull the head and hope it's just the HG and repair

Or

2. Get a used motor(I've got one I could get for a reasonable price) rebuild it and do a swap.

The issue is I would hate to waste money pulling the head and finding out the block is cracked or some other issue. I do have a spare OEM head and cams I could use if my head is bad.

What would you do? Looking to make a decision within the next week.

The end state for this vehicle would be to get a supercharger for it at some point and keep it for many years.

Start over or install zippers to speed up the the next scheduled engine removal.

Start over or install zippers to speed up the the next scheduled engine removal.

I knew this was the correct answer but was hoping you or someone else with knowledge would say otherwise.

What would be ideal is to find one that was already rebuilt. If anyone has such a thing then send me a PM.

It's a 97

It has been my experience that "fully rebuilt" engine quality swings from very well done to steam cleaned on the outside with a decent pant job.

The challenge is being able to tell the difference before the engine is in between your frame rails. I would only trust a known builder such as Robbie.

I would have a good shop go thru the original motor to see if it is worth building/building up a motor with all the bad history. If not , them buy another motor. Good luck on finding a supercharger. The kits are getting hard to find.

I would have a good shop go thru the original motor to see if it is worth building/building up a motor with all the bad history. If not , them buy another motor. Good luck on finding a supercharger. The kits are getting hard to find.

Here's what's happening -- I've got a complete running motor from a 96 that I bought off @VETTE60 about 4 yrs ago when he did his diesel swap. The motor is headed to Georg at valley hybrids the week of the 18th. From there it's getting opened up and at a minimum, head is getting redone. Then a swap into my 97. In regards to the SC, I've got a line on one now and even if it were to fall through, I'd find one eventually.

This is my third 80. First two were SC, armored and aux tanks. This one will get the same treatment over time.

Third?

I'm still on my first....23 years later:)

Good on ya......Get back up on that horse and RIDE.:)

Here's what's happening -- I've got a complete running motor from a 96 that I bought off @VETTE60 about 4 yrs ago when he did his diesel swap. The motor is headed to Georg at valley hybrids the week of the 18th. From there it's getting opened up and at a minimum, head is getting redone. Then a swap into my 97. In regards to the SC, I've got a line on one now and even if it were to fall through, I'd find one eventually.

This is my third 80. First two were SC, armored and aux tanks. This one will get the same treatment over time.

good plan.

Grab a copy of the FSM, yank out the engine, tear it apart then make a sound decision. It's time to take matter into your own hands.

Grab a copy of the FSM, yank out the engine, tear it apart then make a sound decision. It's time to take matter into your own hands.

I'm a wildland firefighter and manage a fire program and its fire season. I've got two daughters 4/6 that I get 30% of the time which includes 3 weekends/month. I have the fsm but haven't even had time to go through it. I've got a great house but no shop or garage. I want to do it but just don't have the time. If I had someone who could help, I'd be willing to go that route.

I'm a wildland firefighter and manage a fire program and its fire season. I've got two daughters 4/6 that I get 30% of the time which includes 3 weekends/month. I have the fsm but haven't even had time to go through it. I've got a great house but no shop or garage. I want to do it but just don't have the time. If I had someone who could help, I'd be willing to go that route.

Time is precious for you, totally understandable. You aren't too far from Valley Hybrids so that's a $$$ route but I bet there are other cruiser heads in your area who can assist. Yell out Beer/Pizza and we all come out of the woodwork like bunch of crack whores.... Not having a space to work is a major downer unfortunately.

Time is precious for you, totally understandable. You aren't too far from Valley Hybrids so that's a $$$ route but I bet there are other cruiser heads in your area who can assist. Yell out Beer/Pizza and we all come out of the woodwork like bunch of crack whores.... Not having a space to work is a major downer unfortunately.

I wish money was no object then things would start to get really interesting.:cheers:

If anyone is interested in helping me strip a motor down then let me know. All the free beer and pizza you can drink/eat.

If anyone is interested in helping me strip a motor down then let me know. All the free beer and pizza you can drink/eat.

Post up a thread in your clubhouse section and I bet you'll get some responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom