1999 LX470 High Pitch Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 99 LX470. When I am driving after cold start, I can hear some high pitch noise which increases and decreases with RPM. The noise is still there with both Radio and AC turned off. After driving for a while, I no longer hear the noise. Where else should I check ?

Thanks

FLiu

When you first start your engine (cold start) and in park/neutral turn your steering wheel to the left and right, see if you hear any 'whine', if not (and from what you describe you probably won't), we will move on to the next thing. IF you do...its your power steering pump or fluid.

Alternator bearing check: Often presents itself as a whine or high pitched noise. Turn on your headlights, note if there is a change in the pitch or volume. If not, turn on your fog lights and then switch your headlights back and forth from high beam to low beam (this loads the alternator) IF you hear a change in the pitch or an increase in the volume, then you most likely have alternator bearings that are worn. Very often...they become quieter as the unit heats up.

IF neither of these procedures point to your problem, then its time to pop the hood, get a stethoscope and start tracking down pulley bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom