1996 Headunit Swap Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've got a '96 Cruiser and the radio is pretty much busted.

No lights work, the Cassette player doesn't work, I've got no idea what station I'm on and I want to be able to use my phone (Via Aux or Bluetooth)

The Headunit cut out in the dash is MASSIVE. I don't really want to spend a lot on this, but it looks like without getting one of those touchscreen one's it'll look weird.

Has any swapped the Headunit to something like a Pioneer DEH-150MP or something that doesn't fill the entire headunit slot? If so how does it look?

Thanks guys

I am no audiophile, but the space or size is called a double din. There are pockets that can be installed if you want a single din size head unit. There are lots of options and a bunch of threads on this forum that cover this better than I can.

@Funner You just answered every question I had! I had no idea what "Dins" were haha. Thank you!

Yes. I've got a single din JVC WalMart special POS receiver installed on top of a pocket. Check WalMart or crutchfield. Look for the crappiest aftermarket radio solution and you'll see exactly what I've got.

:cheers:

If you want to save a few $$$ you can go with a single DIN unit and use a spacer/pocket to fill the void. Lots of people here have done that or have used the extra space for a CB or HAM radio. I recently purchased a Kenwood DDX393 double DIN so I could use my iPad for music either with BT or USB.

Scosche MA1537B Single DIN Installation Dash Kit with Pocket for

Yes. I've got a single din JVC WalMart special POS receiver installed on top of a pocket. Check WalMart or crutchfield. Look for the crappiest aftermarket radio solution and you'll see exactly what I've got.

:cheers:

:rolleyes::hillbilly:

I bought my inexpensive Pioneer double because the backlighting is programmable so I could match the green lighting on the rest of the dash lights.

Son of b!+€#!!! :bang::bang::bang: I type *JVC* in a reply and now Adwords only wants to show me MOOAAAARRRE JVC CRAP!!! For the love of Pete, Google! Give you're algorithms a rest and show me "Land Cruiser Parts*"

Toyota*

@Bsclly do yourself a favor buy a nice unit. You're going to spend money anyway - spend it on something you like.
:lol:

Buy whatever deck you want. single din. order the pocket for below. Order the proper 2 harness adapter (don't use the single white that is currently in your OEM deck). Unplug the stock amp in the passenger kick panel. Call it a day and have some tunes. Keep in mind the speakers are probably dust as well. At least replace the front door ones.

I got a double DIN JVC DVD player for $199 and have been very happy with it, not much more money than a single DIN unit. It also has Bluetooth, AUX input and a USB input. Just throwing that out there, if money and not size was your primary issue.

@Funner You just answered every question I had! I had no idea what "Dins" were haha. Thank you!
Unfortunately there's some conflicting info on which adapter harness to use. I chose a $120 kenwood. Once I spliced up the harness adapter it was literally a 20 minute job.
By the way, crutchfield throws in all the harnesses, blank cubby, etc for the price of the radio.

Last edited:
I picked up a Toyota 16814 radio. It's a little later factory radio than what the 80 had and it has a CD changer port which allowed me to add a bluetooth adapter. Pretty much the perfect setup for my needs. It looks factory, so nobody will break in to steal it, and it lets me connect my iphone.

Great Place for Handsfree Mic

I've got an older Scion double din unit that I'd send your for basically the price of shipping (if I remember correctly, it just plugs right in to the Toyota plugs with no adapters necessary, but I think it is orange lighting), or I've got a JVC unit that is in mine right now that I'm looking to replace with a screen for a backup camera that I'd give you a great price on also if you're looking to save some money and just have a functional unit. Shoot me a PM and I can give you more details if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom