Builds 1994 FZJ80 5.3l and 4L60e swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you might want to cut the large ears off the fan shroud that overhang the radiator core....makes removal of the fan/radiator as a complete assembly a lot easier....at least is did when I had similar setup on my my 60.

For what it's worth, I have had the dual electric fan setup in my V8 swap and it has been able to pull plenty of air. The only difference is that I am also using the factory GM Radiator out of the engine donor vehicle. (1994 Chevy Caprice police car). I like the idea of not having to fabricate a custom fan shroud by using the dual electric fans.

I'll have to check into the Trailblazer shift cable as well. Hopefully I can get by with as little modification to the Toyota shifter as possible, I think it does need to be extended a little to provide enough Throw for the actuation to match the 4l60E.

For what it's worth, I have had the dual electric fan setup in my V8 swap and it has been able to pull plenty of air. The only difference is that I am also using the factory GM Radiator out of the engine donor vehicle. (1994 Chevy Caprice police car). I like the idea of not having to fabricate a custom fan shroud by using the dual electric fans.

I'll have to check into the Trailblazer shift cable as well. Hopefully I can get by with as little modification to the Toyota shifter as possible, I think it does need to be extended a little to provide enough Throw for the actuation to match the 4l60E.

Should just be a matter of measuring the length of the lever on the trans and then duplicate it on the shifter. It might take a little fiddling to get the gates to match up.. one of those roads yet to cross.:)

Should just be a matter of measuring the length of the lever on the trans and then duplicate it on the shifter. It might take a little fiddling to get the gates to match up.. one of those roads yet to cross.:)

Another easy shifter consideration - I used a shifter out of a Camaro on both my converted LC with 4L60 trans.

Yes, but to be clear one is in my 60 and other is my 40, no 80 yet:D. Do you still want pictures? I also had issues with the trans pan/driveline clearance on the 40. The corner of the pan was clipped for it to work. I can post it also if could be of any help.

Yes please! I would like to see the shifters and the pan modifications.

Thanks!

Both set-ups have proved 100% reliable after 200K+ miles of use
40 ac.jpg
MVC-692S.JPG
MVC-597F.JPG

quick update time.
I have been really busy with family stuff so not a lot of free time.
I received the block hugger headers last week and swapped them in place of the LS3 manifolds. Much better fit and more room to work with now.
I also swapped the taco DC front shaft for a spicer DC I had made a while ago. Since the spicer shaft is 2 in diameter, this gave me some room for the front shaft. I can probably get away with just some strategic hits with a hammer and dolly to flatten the contact area and be done with it.
I finished up the power steering hose adaptation. The fittings came from Russell and it was very easy to do.
I also started working out the shifter solution. I was planning on using the '91 shifter, but instead I am using my stock '94 shifter. It turns out a simple mod to the gate will allow the extra position to operate the 4l60e through it's range so I ended up just swapping out the indicators. i will post up pics later. I am using a trailblazer cable and added the bracket to support the shifter end of the cable. I still have to cut two holes in the floor and then I can put it back together and put the shifter issue to bed. The shifter has taken up most of my limited free time to work out.

When you post up pics, can you please post detailed ones on the shifter build? Thank you.

I was able to get the shifter conversion completed tonight, save for the final install of the trailblazer cable. I managed to snap the end off so I will have to buy another.

At any rate, I ended up only using the gear selector indicator from the '91 shifter assembly - I took it apart and popped the little plastic window out and snapped it in place of the '94 indicator. The wire harness is different and the '91 shifter lacks the ABS module mounting tabs so I figured it was easier to mod the '94 shifter.

I found that the '94 shifter can work like the '91 - it is fully capable of shifter one notch further back in it's quadrant just by adding a notch in the gate plate like so:

IMG_0710.jpg

Now the '94 shifter has the 4 forward gear selections like the '91 with PRND32L

IMG_0717.jpg

This is park:

IMG_0714.jpg

This is manual low:

IMG_0716.jpg

More detail of the tab that has to be fabbed up to accept the trailblazer cable end and the modded lever arm. Kirk provided me with the length from the center to center to arrive at the correct throw which is ~3.65 inches. This keeps the gates lined up so that the trans is in the gear that is showing in the indicator window. Using a cable instead of a rod allows for proper angles to be maintained so that travel is not lost as the levers approach their end of range.

IMG_0715.jpg

Here's the additional holes I had to cut in the floor to accept the additional linkage. this part really sucked.

IMG_0713.jpg

One thing I found out is that the '94 shifter lacks the little button to override the park lock solenoid that releases when you hit the brake pedal. This forces you to apply the brakes before you can shift from park. While the button is not there, the rest of the mechanism is and you can simply remove the button from the '91 shifter and swap it over in place of the little plastic cover. Then you can shift from park without having to have the vehicle powered up and the brakes applied.

Thank you for the pictures and information on the Shifter modification. This will help a ton for me, as I am getting ready to tackle the shift lever myself. From the last few shots above, it looks like you have to swap the shift lever arm to the left side in order to clear the Transfer case Bracket, is that right?

Thank you for the pictures and information on the Shifter modification. This will help a ton for me, as I am getting ready to tackle the shift lever myself. From the last few shots above, it looks like you have to swap the shift lever arm to the left side in order to clear the Transfer case Bracket, is that right?

yes, it has to moved over to the driver's side which means you have to cut some holes. I also reused the lever - I flattened it out with a hammer and then cut off what I didn't need. It will then fit right on to the shaft on the other side and keys in place.

3x Thank you for the shifter information! You gave me some good ideas on how to redo mine! :cheers:

awesome, thanks for the write up. you make it look simple ;):beer:

starting to look like a cruiser again :)

Got the E-fans mounted to the radiator. It took very little work to make it fit (drill some holes, make some little angle brackets, and done)

IMG_0728.jpg

Fans fit great after trimming the extra legs off. It just fits in by the brake line coils

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0727-1.jpg

I also went back and installed the park lock override button from the '91 shifter. All of the parts between the two shifters are interchangeable.

Finished install inside - looks like stock :)

IMG_0730.jpg

I also reinstalled a lot of the front end stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom