1994 FJZ80 TRANSFER CASE SLAP NOISE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently purchased a 1994 Land Cruiser and after trailering it home, have come to find out the transfer case was completely out of fluid. So after filling, driving some, and draining it and filling again, when accelerating at speeds higher than 5-10 mph, it makes noise that I can only compare to chain slap, but I don't believe these transfer cases had chains? I could be wrong though, as this is my first experience owning a Land Cruiser. I can tell the noise is not coming from the engine, as it makes no noise in neutral, and the transmission shifts fine. I also feel like when I hear the noise, I can almost feel it in the transfer case shifter. Any suggestions would be appriciated!

How long was it without fluid, and why?

Does it accelerate from a stop normally, or does it feel like something is slipping and grabbing?

Are the tires mismatched?

How long was it without fluid, and why?

Does it accelerate from a stop normally, or does it feel like something is slipping and grabbing?

Are the tires mismatched?
I don't know how long it was without fluid, it accelerates and seems to move fine, just noise, and no, all 4 tires are the same size

I would probably check that everything is bolted together properly, like the cross member, and check for u-joint play.

If that didn't solve it, I'd start clipping a microphone to various parts of the undercarriage in order to verify that the noise is really coming from the transfer case.

I found a used transfer case on car-part for ~250. If you really believe it's the transfer case, I'd just swap it out. They're heavy af but otherwise not too difficult to remove and install. There are so many in wrecking yards across the country that it's not worth the labor to rebuild them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom