1994 FJ80 front speaker replacement. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's my write-up from a while back on replacing the speakers in my '93 - I was really interested in keeping it stock looking and went with Eclipse speakers to utilize the stock grills (shallowest mounting depth available). I've heard since then (from other members here) that the 5 1/4" 2-ways I went with have been replaced by 5 1/4" 3-ways (same depth)...and have also helped a buddy put the 6 1/2" 3-way (have to use Eclipse grill with these). Your biggest problem is the window brace behind the front speaker - it gives you a fixed depth and anything you buy has to go out from there. Lots of members have fabbed different trim rings to account for this - just remember to check door closure with the panel in place (dash clearance an issue) -

Good Luck!

Tucker

Good point, I forgot to mention the dash clearance, it's not forgiving at all.

Damn lurker, is that a phone camera?

concretejungle said:
Damn lurker, is that a phone camera?

Yes, I could have pull out my Nikon 8700 or even the big dog d70, but then I couldn't even upload the smallest picture.

I also played with the contrast so I could get better white depth.

Front door speakers in my 94 were shot-no stereo shops around here could come up with anything that would work-ordered a set from the Toyota dealer and had them in 2 days. Toyota will also ship your factory system to a repair center, give you an estimate before they repair and get it back to you in 5 working days.

6.5 up front and back.

I used Cadence's ZXN -6K seperate in the front doors. The neo magnet allows a fairly shallow fit and a much smaller diameter magnet structure. I had to trim the panel and I used the foam baffles. I'm not quite happy with the front stage yet. I mounted angled tweeters above mid. I also used the coaxial version for the rear doors. That was a bit more work.

www.cadencesound.com

>> but then I couldn't even upload the smallest picture. <<

Lurker,
You should learn to use some common image manipulation tools. IrfanView is a freebie that does a lot of things with images, including resizing large images to smaller sizes for uploading. 2 minute dl, 5 minutes to install and learn to use it.

-B-

Lurker, Best damn speaker for $50 or even $150. Bet they even sound good on the bench. One thing you may want to consider if you drive much on washboard or offroad at all, is bolting the nylon spacer with bolt and nut to the door panel then screing the speakers to the spacer. Very, very sturdy. If your screws are gonna hit door frame then that will suffice but will not be as strong as my 1st suggestion.

Just a thought, oh and lets see some more pic's when done. Vince

I bought some cheap Pioneer speakers for the front doors and surfaced mounted them. The holes for the old speakers lined up perfect for the new ones. I used the supplied U shaped blind nuts and simple screwed the Pioneers in place. The door panel is the only thing holding the speaker in place. I haven't had any problems with this setup, but I wasn't looking for booming sound out of my old truck. Having a 2 year old as a passenger limits how loud, and what, I listen to these days......how loud would you want to hear Old McDonald??

Good luck finding speakers slim enough to fit!

Beowulf said:
>> but then I couldn't even upload the smallest picture. <<

Lurker,
You should learn to use some common image manipulation tools. IrfanView is a freebie that does a lot of things with images, including resizing large images to smaller sizes for uploading. 2 minute dl, 5 minutes to install and learn to use it.

-B-

Thanks but all I have to do is drop and link an existing DLL from photoshop 7.0 into a simple QB form to do the trick.

97cruiser said:
Lurker, Best damn speaker for $50 or even $150. Bet they even sound good on the bench. One thing you may want to consider if you drive much on washboard or offroad at all, is bolting the nylon spacer with bolt and nut to the door panel then screing the speakers to the spacer. Very, very sturdy. If your screws are gonna hit door frame then that will suffice but will not be as strong as my 1st suggestion.

Just a thought, oh and lets see some more pic's when done. Vince

Great idea :idea: they are quite heavy for just a screw through nylon spacer that I was orginally going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom