Builds 1994 BUILD OUT and LS swap! Let's Go! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey group, here we go 1994 LC for a build out and engine swap. This is my first LC and project of this size! Our vehicle is a 1994 triple lock rust free grocery getter! I purchased it with a "blown motor" had 310k on the ODO. I came across some videos online with Jack Carr's swapped LC and Joe Rogans, which got me looking into it. Paid 5k for the vehicle and got started. Overall, I was looking for mostly a "bolt on swap" I don't weld so massive fabrication wasn't going to be an option for me. So this build is for the regular garage mechanic, with a little help can get this done! I will show what I did to solve all the issues.

Overall objective is to get a vehicle that can take the family out, do some camping, hunting trips, visit the national parks. So here we go.

Here is what we started with.

6481D4A3-27B2-4B61-BB86-718FCE06CAA8.jpeg

2397B835-D734-4618-A9E5-68AE50FB1C12.jpeg

A2722FFA-1B99-40B9-9534-577B5E6F6ED7.jpeg

CB7C13EB-55CD-4F05-8576-E7EB38F21B3F.jpeg

0387E408-98F6-4F31-A549-9D7454157CCF.jpeg

So as a financial tally, so people can estimate what they may be in for. My budget is to keep it all under 20K. Ive tried to keep track of most of what Ive purchased. Including special tools etc.
Vehicle - 5K
Eng/trans - 1.5k

As I started this process, I only bought the parts as I was ready for them and worked my way to the next step. So before I even touched the vehicle, I rebuild the motor and transmission.

I used a lot of information from the Drive way engineer who is excellent at showing you that you don't need to have everything brand new, latest and greatest. Nothing wrong with junkyard motors and parts. Also for power and performance watched a lot of Richard Holdener videos on LS of GM builds. So for this vehicle, I wanted a 6.0 because why not. Even though a 5.3 is all you need in one. There are millions of 1500 Silverados towing boats, landscape trailers all over everyday without a lick of problems. So get what you can come across. I would recommend the 4L80 over a 4L60 series transmission if you can find one paired up with a motor. It took me about two days to find my motor in the DFW area.

So for my motor build out, first of all, I actually didn't have to do anything to it, it was running when the truck got smashed, it'll run for you, just remember if it spins it wins when checking for motors. As a learning experience, I wanted to open it up and clean it a bit. So using Richard Holdener's build recipes I also got some heads from a 5.3L 706 heads. Which will increase the compression and torque. Recommend if you don't know what this means, check out his videos. Now I did this all at home, to keep costs down, stay out of the machine shop!! Youre not building a dang drag car or baja 1000 race truck. You can do all this at home cheap!

To clean the block and parts, I used lots of oven cleaner and a pressure washer, it’s a mess and cleaning the used motor is the worst part.

I did a valve lapping job using a drill you can see Richard Holdener do it in a video. Piece of cake. You’re just cleaning up the surfaces. To clean the rockers and push rods. I just soaked them in some mineral spirits, wiped them down, then soaked the rockers in 10w-30 to re lubricate the bearings. There was no abnormal wear on any of the surfaces. You don’t need new springs, rockers etc. clean them up and use them!

I did change the crank shaft bearings and rod end bearings on the pistons. Using plasti-gauge to check clearances

398834BD-1C5B-48C2-877F-E1645E295B56.jpeg

2BE9862E-E84F-4219-BB9F-89495C6AA313.jpeg

96743BF2-8775-4DC0-BF8A-ACC7F1F0FBA0.jpeg

5D5375ED-6430-47FF-AEA7-580CCB0A1DE8.jpeg

I know there will be a lot of people who disagree, and want to buy everything new, or crate motor. That's cool, that's not my budget. Racers have been rebuilding motors and re-using parts since the 50's. This stuff works you don't need new everything. Here are some links of videos to watch. You can do this!
Get an early GM motor, Drive by cable, 4L80 and run it! Get that LC refreshed!

One last thing on motors, a lot of people take them to the machine shop because they see the bronze color on the cam shaft bearings, that is what "LS" GM motors do. They look like that 50 miles off the show room floor, they are not bad. Leave them alone, look online, countless videos on it. If you have the budget to take a junkyard motor to the machine shop and say do everything, this is not the build thread for you. After you pay them to do all the work, you could've just bought a new crate motor.

Working on power steering lines. For now trying to keep the paper clip cooler. Never heard power steering over heating in a Silverado so this should be fine. Took the power steering pump from a 5.3 L since a 6.0 typically has the third hose for hydra boost. Which I’m not doing. Also took the pressure line off the 6.0 pump since it comes straight up. Think I’ll put a 90 elbow on the end to route to the chasis U-shaped shock absorber. Just need to tweak the return out of the paper clip back to the reservoir.

I rebuilt my steering gear box. It was disgusting!! Got the kit from rock auto. Followed a video on YouTube. Took me half a day to get the dang ball bearings back in!

Here are the differences on the 6.0 and 5.3 pumps. You can the 3 hoses for hydra boost. That is the 6.0 pressure line. You can see how it is angles out to the side. Some still use that pump but either pinch that third hose or put a bolt in it. I just grabbed a 5.3 pump. 10$ at the junkyard! I needed to grab a new throttle body. Mine actuator arm was bent.

8AD064A1-31C2-4D2F-95DD-E65F47DC02B9.jpeg

Need to decide what to do with the heater hoses. I know a lot of people delete the rear heat. My metal hoses were in great shape. But I want to replace the rubber hoses in the engine bay. I did order a new valve.

9CCE471A-7D9A-4009-86CD-D64CAC38051C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom