1992 Truck Sputter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up my son's 1992 (22re 5sp) truck from a mechanic in Houston TX to drive it back to Austin... Mechanic replaced bad VSV's & BVSV's and vacuum lines. Truck was running good for about 100 miles, filled up the gas tank in a small town along the way & around 20 miles later I noticed that when turning blinkers on the truck would cut out or miss and the tachometer needle would rapidly drop to to zero and back. Same thing happens if I would turn on the headlamps or flash the high beams. I also noticed with the blinkers/flashers the truck would "miss" every time the light flashed. I thought a wire may be shorting out, but when going down a steep hill I decelerated a little and it started missing a lot. The whole truck would shake, clear up momentarily and then start shaking again for the next 45 miles or so. Could be electrical, bad gas?

Check grounds.

Then start tearing into the engine harness to fix the injector splices.

Check grounds.

Then start tearing into the engine harness to fix the injector splices.

Thanks KLF, I will check grounds. Not sure I understand your comment on fixing the injector splices? Do the injector splices break or wear where they junction with/at the harness? Please expand.

Thanks,
ML

Last edited:
The grounds for the injectors are just crimped together. As it gets older they tend to break and fail.

Thank you KLF & Mudder!!!

problem seems to be fixed. replaced bad head to firewall ground and the p/s bracket to body ground was missing. ran truck about 10 miles or so with no issues... :beer:

As I was once told, 99% of electrical problems are grounds. I don't know how many times I've fought problems only to realise I just needed to fix the ground.

For the FI grounds, is there an easy access point for these on the harness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom