1990 BJ73 Engine Question/Advice ( VM 2.5 td motor) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a chance to buy a really clean non rusted BJ73. Its a 1990 BJ that has
a Salvador Caetano engine in it. That really is a VM 2.5 td engine. HR 588 is the model #.
So everything I have read about these VM diesel motors has been negative. You can't find
parts, manuals, heads are nickle plated, prone to over heat and the list goes on.
Does anybody have a input about these Italian VM diesel motors?
Anyone know where and if parts are still available?
Are these VM diesel's any good or is everything I read true?
Don't want to buy this BJ and then have to put a 4bt in her. The truck is just to cool and mint to
pass up.

Now when I went to see and test drive, it wouldn't start cause the glow plug relay was toast. She
was more than 2qts. low on oil. When I did finally get her started she really never stopped smoking.
Had to use a pinch of starting fluid to get her to finally start. I don't like doing that but I drove a
little ways and reallly wanted to test drive it.
The BJ73 drove really well. Had tons of turbo lag. Still wasn't the slowest thing but still not enough power to merge into traffic in the city.
Any input here would be great. Thanks

Buy the truck and do an engine swap.

Good luck.

That is really not what I want to do. Who makes a adapter plate for the 4bt to bolt to the H55f transmission?
So no one knows anything about these VM motors?

So everything I have read about these VM diesel motors has been negative. You can't find
parts, manuals, heads are nickle plated, prone to over heat and the list goes on.

it wouldn't start cause the glow plug relay was toast. She
was more than 2qts. low on oil. When I did finally get her started she really never stopped smoking.

Had to use a pinch of starting fluid to get her to finally start. I don't like doing that but I drove a
little ways and reallly wanted to test drive it.

Had tons of turbo lag. Still wasn't the slowest thing but still not enough power to merge into traffic in the city.

Disclaimer: I'm not a diesel expert, let alone specifically on the VM.

My answer is a question: Don't you think you have your answer in your post?

Edit: trust @beno

Why are you stuck on 4BT? You might have to do a body lift with that engine. Find a nice 1HZ to put in it. If the body is in really good shape then doing an engine swap will get you a very nice rig. The older they get the harder it is to find nice clean rigs, especially LHD. Where are you located? This might help too with advice and how mechanically are?

Anyone know where and if parts are still available?

Where you are can make the difference. Generally diesels have a long life parts availability and if these engines were sold where you are, then you can most likely get parts.
I could think of about 4-5 engines that I would install before the 4BT and they could all be done using Toyota parts. The Isuzu swap is also popular.

Wow this forum has really changed!!
So again I am asking if there is anyone out there that has this vm diesel motor in their Spanish BJ. If you do
then I am asking where would I get parts for this motor. Like oil and fuel filter?
So Beno and everyone else that commented doesn't know a thing about the Spanish BJ73 Salvador Caetano edition.
Thanks for your opinion Beno, Jfrench.
Coldtaco I like the cummings diesel's cause they are the best and you can find all the parts for them cheap here in the USA!
I am really into this VM 2.5 td Italian diesel but I just want to be able to find parts for it and a manual with some torque specs.
Again thanks Beno and Jfrench.

Buy the truck and do an engine swap.

Good luck.

Hello,

x2.

Trust Onur / @beno 's advise.

Spanish/Portuguese BJ73s had to meet local content regulations. As a result, they had the VM engine and a number of local parts, such as the wiper motor. The electric system was different as well.

The truck may look mint but appearances can be deceiving.

Criticism aside, the VM engine is a bit underpowered for a 73. Other than the 4BT, power plant options include the 1HD-T, 1HZ or a 13B-T, among others. The latter mate with the H55F transmission without much modification.

This BJ73 would make a good project rig, provided you are willing to do an engine swap and parts replacements.

Juan

Hello,

x2.

Trust Onur / @beno 's advise.

Spanish/Portuguese BJ73s had to meet local content regulations. As a result, they had the VM engine and a number of local parts, such as the wiper motor. The electric system was different as well.

The truck may look mint but appearances can be deceiving.

Criticism aside, the VM engine is a bit underpowered for a 73. Other than the 4BT, power plant options include the 1HD-T, 1HZ or a 13B-T, among others. The latter mate with the H55F transmission without much modification.

This BJ73 would make a good project rig, provided you are willing to do an engine swap and parts replacements.

Juan

Thank You Juan. Just didn't want to see this rig go to waste and just sit.

Hello,

I am glad to help.

Time to do an extensive search for a VM engine service manual... There must be one somewhere.

You can get the truck, have it serviced and drive it while you get the parts/resources for your project.

Have the non-Toyota components replaced at your own pace. Changing one or two parts at a time enables you to keep driving the Cruiser. It will also help you to make up your mind on the engine swap.

There is fun to be had in replacing stuff in an old Land Cruiser.

Parts are available in the US for an engine such as the 1HZ. A number of 'MUD members have done this swap; you can search the forum for details.

Juan

If you want 4bt then by all means go for it. I just heard that those that have put Cummins in they had to do a body lift. As far as keeping the vm motory alive I think you answered your own question. If you are states side then probably have find someone in Spain to help. You probably would be hard pressed to find anyone with info on this motor here. Also did you consider the new Cummins 2.8? You would probably be on your own figuring out how to add a drivetrain to it.

Bad glow plugs aren't why you are having trouble starting it. The engines worn, has low compression and probably has a warped head or two. Have you checked your coolant? Is it LOW? Any oil in the coolant? ANy coolant in the oil? Have you removed the oil filler cap while the engine is running? How much blowby are you getting?
The VM motors are terrible. They are awful and they suck. They all die around 200,000kms. These motors have individuals cylinder heads on each cylinder (there is a 4 cyl and 5 cyl version of theses engines. The 5 started in 1990 and was also intercooled at that time) and they require regular head re-torquing as part of their service/upkeep. People don't do this and the heads warp and leak. You can not refinish these heads once they warped, you need new ones. You can buy new ones and VM parts here http://www.euro4x4parts.com/ They are almost 250 Euro a bare head!!! I don't know of a service manual out there. I've had my guy in Spain search and he's found nothing. They also put a similar version of this VM in the early turbo diesel Range Rovers rovers, before the 200tdi came along. They sucked in those too.

You'd be wasting your money trying to fix the VM motor. They suck, did I mention that? They installed 4.56 gears in these trucks to make it pull harder, because.... yeah, you guessed it, they suck. You know, it's seems like you are pretty clear about what you want to do with the truck and what kinds of engines you like. I'd do whatever you want with that truck. Anything you put in there would be better than the VM. Start a build thread when you do, would be great to see what you're gonna do with her. Rust free, LHD, don't forget 12v BJ73 with fold down windshield and removable door tops, you can't go wrong. What the asking price? Post a picture.

Does anybody have a input about these Italian VM diesel motors?

So again I am asking if there is anyone out there that has this vm diesel motor in their Spanish BJ. If you do
then I am asking where would I get parts for this motor. Like oil and fuel filter?
So Beno and everyone else that commented doesn't know a thing about the Spanish BJ73 Salvador Caetano edition.
Coldtaco I like the cummings diesel's cause they are the best and you can find all the parts for them cheap here in the USA!
I am really into this VM 2.5 td Italian diesel but I just want to be able to find parts for it and a manual with some torque specs.

Should have looked at your 1st question.

Most people would have done a google parts search instead of expecting others to do it for them. There is virtually no collective knowledge on VM 2.5 here because anyone who has one is more interested in engine swaps than keeping it.. One more thing, this is the 70 series tech forum, it was set up for body, suspension, gearbox ect. Diesel engine enquiries are meant to be on the diesel forum. Where is Hbg? Hapsburg?

The 4BT Cummins belongs in Frito trucks where they were intended to be. They rattle like a coffee can full of marbles and have a super narrow RPM band. The museum has a 4BT-powered Cruiser so that we can demonstrate to prospective swappers what a bad idea it is.

Those Cummins repower engines are available now, the R2.8 ones so that is an option over the 4BT. I don't know much about the R2.8 with it being new and all but it seems to be a pretty good package with all it includes. Maybe they are not that good being Chinese made. Time will tell.

But like the others said already....take @beno's advice. The 70 series from the mid 80's to early 90's timeframe are becoming more and more scarce in good and rust free condition so there is not much to choose from now.

a friend bought this year a bj73 with vm engine. he tries to bring it together to have it registered. not much rust, made me really envious.
but with the vm engine!
he plans on putting a 1hz in it after he registeres it. to do that he's been searching for the LAST TWO months for an oil pump allover the internet and europe. he ordered so far 3 oil pumps he was told would fit….and no, they don't.

I went for him at Toyota italy to ask for parts for this engine. all they have in their system is clutch and oil filter….and an embarrassed smile for not being able to help.

seems to me its not difficult, its is actually very difficult to fix that vm engine because its hard to find parts.

pm your contact and Ill give you his phone number so you can chat if you like about the vm engine "fun times".

I am one of those people that has real life experience with the 2.5 VM in the Land Cruisers as well as the VM that was installed in mid 90's Cherokee's and I have to say they are great.......best boat anchors ever made once you pull them out of the trucks ;)

In all honesty just go ahead and run it until it breaks which will not be that long,people in Europe use these for the same things as they use the light duty LJ's and mostly stay in their own zip code with it to make sure they can walk back home.

VM has made some badass engines but obviously this is not one of them,since it uses the H55 with coarse spline shaft you can bolt a 12HT on it to keep it Toyota and double the hp and still keep it Toyota.

As for filters just google for it in Spanish and I am sure you will find some numbers for Framm filters that might be available here also.

I am gonna ignore the comment on Cummings being the best.......one could only say that after having real world experience with all the other diesels ;)

BTW I am not slamming on VM motors and actually own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the new VM diesel and it is a blast to drive 85k miles on it now and so far no issues at all,hope it stays this way!

Joe

Bad glow plugs aren't why you are having trouble starting it. The engines worn, has low compression and probably has a warped head or two. Have you checked your coolant? Is it LOW? Any oil in the coolant? ANy coolant in the oil? Have you removed the oil filler cap while the engine is running? How much blowby are you getting?
The VM motors are terrible. They are awful and they suck. They all die around 200,000kms. These motors have individuals cylinder heads on each cylinder (there is a 4 cyl and 5 cyl version of theses engines. The 5 started in 1990 and was also intercooled at that time) and they require regular head re-torquing as part of their service/upkeep. People don't do this and the heads warp and leak. You can not refinish these heads once they warped, you need new ones. You can buy new ones and VM parts here http://www.euro4x4parts.com/ They are almost 250 Euro a bare head!!! I don't know of a service manual out there. I've had my guy in Spain search and he's found nothing. They also put a similar version of this VM in the early turbo diesel Range Rovers rovers, before the 200tdi came along. They sucked in those too.

You'd be wasting your money trying to fix the VM motor. They suck, did I mention that? They installed 4.56 gears in these trucks to make it pull harder, because.... yeah, you guessed it, they suck. You know, it's seems like you are pretty clear about what you want to do with the truck and what kinds of engines you like. I'd do whatever you want with that truck. Anything you put in there would be better than the VM. Start a build thread when you do, would be great to see what you're gonna do with her. Rust free, LHD, don't forget 12v BJ73 with fold down windshield and removable door tops, you can't go wrong. What the asking price? Post a picture.

His asking price was 18,000. He is down to 16,000 now. I offered 11,000. I don't want to pay more than 12,500 but I am in love with this
rig and the shape that it is in. Chris I will post pics as soon as I get them off my phone. Thanks for your input here. The days of research I did
before I asked this question led me to the same info. I just wanted to hear it from someone that played with one of these VM pieces of s***!!

Hello, i have a VM motor!
Mine is a 2.5 cc 5 cyl turbo not intercooled, original from factory, but there is a version 4 cyl intercooled mounted on the last version of portuguese BJ 73.
The spare parts of VM are the same of mercruiser turbo diesel and BMW marine motors of the '90's year.
My engine has 330k km whitout major issues, at around 300k i refreshed the head .
This is the only problem for the VM, knowin all the world, but if you treat it well(warm up and especially cool down) will last forever as a diamond!!!!

Screenshot_2017-04-08-14-29-14.png

Attachments

• Motore VM .. HR692HTA.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 431
  • couple-VM.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 2,655

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom