1987 toyota pick up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not gotten around to installing the suspension/bumper yet. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
I am preparing after reading/researching a lot of builds that I will end up increasing tire size. Which will mean I would want to regear correct?

Here is a question would any of you change wheel size, jump up to 16" wheels for more tire options. I guess then I would want to upgrade my breaks and master correct? Any other suggestions? I have been DD'ing the truck and love it. I dont want to loose that side of it. I cruise 60-70 on the HWY all day no problem.

Since I could not sell the truck, I am reviving this thread and getting to work.
I am going to get the suspension, bumper, and winch on sooner than later. In the meantime:

Picked up an SR5 Instrument cluster and some steelies.

I Can't decide if I should powder the coat the steelies or cheap out and plasti-dip them. Has anybody had bad luck with Plasti-dip ?

I just ordered the correct oil sending unit and the LCE headers. I also am going to upgrade the brakes and run stainless lines.

In the next month or so I am going to do some preventative maintenance :
Dual timing chain, water pump, thermostat, distributor, alternator, cooling, Idler arm and pulley, speed cable, new 19 gallon fuel tank, fuel pump, ball joints, tie rods

6B2A9B8E-7191-42E3-9C15-E5BA585C706A.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

@jgallo1 Don't rule out rattle-canning those wheels. I used Duplicolor wheel paint on a new FJ Cruiser - it came with black steel wheels, I wanted them body color.

It was super simple...
- Wheels off
- Clean
- Scuff
- 5x7 index cards to "mask" the tires
- Paint

That lasted the entire 4 yrs I had the truck - and it saw a good bit of wheeling.

P-Side_508.jpg

More recently, I painted the wheels on a '74 CB500. They were crusty, corroded. Same process as above except with plain old Rustoleum.

IMG_3506.jpeg
IMG_3597.jpeg

Despite powder coating a lot of things on my current build, I'm a huge (!) fan of rattle cans.

Last edited:
Since I could not sell the truck, I am reviving this thread and getting to work.
I am going to get the suspension, bumper, and winch on sooner than later. In the meantime:

I Can't decide if I should powder the coat the steelies or cheap out and plasti-dip them. Has anybody had bad luck with Plasti-dip ?

I just ordered the correct oil sending unit and the LCE headers. I also am going to upgrade the brakes and run stainless lines.

Dual timing chain, water pump, thermostat, distributor, alternator, cooling, Idler arm and pulley, speed cable, new 19 gallon fuel tank, fuel pump, ball joints, tie rods

View attachment 2977249

View attachment 2977251
I plasti-dipped the wheels on a 3rd gen 4runner I had once and wouldn't do it again. They probably would have held up better if I had washed the truck more often, but they looked like trash by the time I sold them. Super faded and peeling in places. Previous owner of my 03 4runner dipped the wheels and it was such a pain in the a** to get off of them, and also looked faded and not great in my opinion. I bought some duplicolor wheel paint and plan on trying my hand at rattle canning the wheels on my Lexus once it warms up some more. I anticipate being much happier with it versus plasti-dip, but ymmv 🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 2977249

View attachment 2977251
Where did you source the SR5 Cluster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom