1987 3B Troopy fuel problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needhelp people
Did look around this forum , and try few tricks but only helped for awhile
This is 1987 Toyota Troopy 3,4 3b with 270.000 km on the clock
Got it 10 monts ago, truck was running fine, did simple maintnance ,fresh oil, new filters, replace all gear oil, front back axles, TC,gear box, shocks front and rear, dopmed lot of money into a interior, me being in sweden ordering carpets and seats from australia (cotst arm and a leg)anyways i realy like this truck and wanna keep it
This problem with fuel started 2 monts ago , first ot was ones in awhile now its like everyday think
From time to time truck sounds like is running on 3 cilinders, always happens when is warm up, after some time on the roud
Enging starts to shake feels like one of cilnders not get in fuel ? kind a line you would take one plug out of petrol car
I did take it to the shop , i can work on cars but i have no clue when it comes to diesel so i figure let someone who does to look at it
Guy checked all the fuel lines their were ok, new fuel filter was in, he said there was some corosion where fuel filter touch the engine when is scrued in, the aluminium part, he clean it put back the fuel filter thinking engine was geting air somehow where the corosion was

It did helped, for a short time and than it started again
Guy said it might be the pump goin bad
I try to adjust fuel pump just a touch , engine was running better
Heck i was even happy as hell the truck was pulling realy nice all gears, up hill, speeding up on 5 slowely without shifting to 4 or 3 like befor
Now its back again to the point that dies completely
As i said seems like its not getting fuel in all cilinders it start ok after 3 trys ( still cold nights in sweden) after that starts right up with no problem whats so ever , no smoke white or black not shakes nothinh till the point when is really warm( not overheating or anything) and starts to act like short on fuel and dies
It could me the pump? one next to engine?
or one in the tank ? if there is one? no clue when comes to diesel toyota retro cars , would really presiate any help , thank you

Forgot to mention po cut off the water separater so the filter is out of the circut , mechanic guy said this shouldn't be the problem as long as i make sure there is no water in the fuel filter

Last edited:
I would check the hoses and hard lines again,it seems to me that you either have a hose that kinks itself when the temps get to warm around it or you have a pinhole somewhere in your hard lines and at full load it starts sucking enough air to create this situation.Both scenarios have happened to me before in BJ and HZJ 7x's

Joe

Your fuel injector gaskets/seals could be leaking. When it warms up tolerances expand and let air in, that's my best bet

Or the hand primer pump can also let in air.

And try the diesel forum, you will more answers there.

What I find out yesterday is that priming pump it's not working as it should,I undo the bolt ,valve,by the fuel filter trying to see if there is air in fuel filter,when pumping the primer pump no fuel is coming out of air valve,
Also when everything is closed and pumping the priming pump there is no pressure building up(?)
What's the purpose of priming pump?

Your fuel injector gaskets/seals could be leaking. When it warms up tolerances expand and let air in, that's my best bet

Or the hand primer pump can also let in air.
What I find out yesterday there is no pressure building up when pushing priming pump what so ever,I undo the valve by fuel filter to see if air or fuel it's geting out ,no fuel coming out when pressing the hand pump

Ok, I manage to star it up,it runs for few min and cuts off,engine starts to shakes and dies
Every time it does that I find out that fuel filter is half full and there is some air in it
Try to bleed the air out and it runs back again,I can do that over and over again with same effect somehow air it's geting between prime pump and fuel filter

Also I knew this that,priming pump never gets stiff like it use to,after bleeding the fuel filter
Before I could really feel prime pump doin its job pumping till you can't push it down no more,feels like don't keep pressure

The priming pumps on these have long been a source of problems. Yours is probably 30 years old. The best thing to dom is replace it with a Mercedes Bosch hand primer. About $30 on ebay

upload_2017-3-6_6-26-24.jpeg

upload_2017-3-6_6-26-12.jpeg

But you also need to check the hoses and fittings in the fuel systems. Any hoses with small splits need to be replaced. Diesels often allow air in without leaking fuel out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom