1987 2h- rebuilt my injectors, truck lost power and won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another quick update. Took the land beast for a ride to see how it behaves. Drives and runs great. Upon final inspection, I DO have one leaky injector. 3rd one form the firewall. Leaks right between the 2 halves so it looks like I need a new unit in there. All others are fine.

Glad its running fine?
Thanks, I think these engines are some of the simplest yet most reliable engines, very easy to work on, barely complicated at all. By the way, I love your 12ht into your 40 thread. That engine is yummy, and the white Ferrari I've seen in some of the photos in that thread makes me jealous a bit.

may I ask, is it OK to drive a bit with that leaky injector? I really don't have time to change it just yet and meet to drive tomorrow to pick up a big box that won't fit n my other cars. I'm assuming as long as it doesn't leak like a faucet, everything will be ok? Someone please chime in. Its a very slight leak, kind of like a seepage. my priming pump had bigger issues, an actual drip drip.

may I ask, is it OK to drive a bit with that leaky injector? I really don't have time to change it just yet and meet to drive tomorrow to pick up a big box that won't fit n my other cars. I'm assuming as long as it doesn't leak like a faucet, everything will be ok? Someone please chime in. Its a very slight leak, kind of like a seepage. my priming pump had bigger issues, an actual drip drip.

I'd run it... (The only worry is the mess it'll cause on that side of your engine - especially if you drive on dirt roads where the dust will cling to the dampness.)

So you rebuilt the injectors yourself.

Do you have any idea what you did wrong to have a leak from a body-joint on one?

:beer:

I think I know what I did wrong. I bought the 24 and 27 mm sockets the second time around. Impatient moron, so I clamped them in the vise to take the two halves apart. Albeit, I never squeezed them but rather just enought to keep them put. When putting them back together I noticed that one had been slightly out or round. The nozzle holder part. I am assuming that that is what caused the leak. However, I am doubting it a bit because the two halves have finished faces that mate together, so it's not like the threads contain the fuel under pressure. I'm not really sure what happened. Now, I only need to buy a new or used rebuilt one from cruiser parts cause they have them and they are relatively close. Thing is, I could have bought the deep sockets to do the job right from the get go. I always seem to make mistakes like these.... Looks like I never learn.

I think I know what I did wrong. I bought the 24 and 27 mm sockets the second time around. Impatient moron, so I clamped them in the vise to take the two halves apart. Albeit, I never squeezed them but rather just enought to keep them put. When putting them back together I noticed that one had been slightly out or round. The nozzle holder part. I am assuming that that is what caused the leak. However, I am doubting it a bit because the two halves have finished faces that mate together, so it's not like the threads contain the fuel under pressure. I'm not really sure what happened. Now, I only need to buy a new or used rebuilt one from cruiser parts cause they have them and they are relatively close. Thing is, I could have bought the deep sockets to do the job right from the get go. I always seem to make mistakes like these.... Looks like I never learn.

I often think that people must go to their graves with a tremendous amount of knowledge...

But then I remember that a lot of people start losing their marbles well before they snuff it..

So I guess that means one's knowledge must peak at some point before death...

But when .... that is the question.....

:confused:

Bringing this back up. Did you experience any pinging sound after rebuilding your injectors, like what's heard in the video of this post?

2h pinging after injector rebuild

I just replied to the other thread. Found it before reading this. No, my engine does not ping. I am not sure what to say about the pinging after injector rebuild. I read the thread and what people are saying. the only thing is I never was able to rid myself of the black smoke. So it's either my timing, or my fuel screw has been turned, but it doesn't look like it. i will carefully check to see if i hear any pinging and I will let you know. Because of the leaky injector, I will do this again. But I will buy an injector tester to see my release pressure. I might need to re-shim the springs as well. I will however drive the rig this way till after winter and try to re-tackle the problem after. I check my engine after every drive and the leaky injector is not too bad. I barely have any residue on the side of the block.

I didn't want to open a new thread, so i am posting here.

I have an 87 3B BJ73. I took out the injectors to service, and noticed they were corroded, including on the threads between the 2 halves (didn't take a picture, and now they are clean). They were torqued heavily and everything seized up, including the 2 halves, the seats and the nozzles to the housing.

1. Can i put some copper based grease on the internal threads, between the 2 halves ? I plan on putting some on the outside thread.

2. I bought seats and gaskets from megazip.net, but i only recovered the seats (3 of them seized inside the pre-chambers, one on the housing / nozzle). Is there any reason why the last guy who took them apart would not put gaskets back in ? Also, should i first place the gaskets in the pre-chamber, then the seats ? I didn't see any difference, but is there a particular direction to put them in ?

3. I also have an injector seals kit from euro4x4parts; the seats and pipe gaskets are the same as the ones i had and the ones from megazip, but what are those o-rings for ? The look different from the gaskets i got from megazip.

4. All 4 nozzles are seized in the housing. I can try to soak them some more, but i will replace them, so can i just press them out, with some blocks of wood at the ends ?

ikj3008.jpg

IMG_20190329_172054.jpg

IMG_20190329_172138.jpg

I never found my injectors to be in that bad a shape. I'd get them to a shop. I know i said initially i wouldn't trust anyone, but i found a great shop that rebuilt mine, take that approach, and your injectors should be golden...

Thanks, i would like to do it myself, if i manage, hopefully i have everything i need for the rebuild.
I put the housings in solvent and will leave them for 24 hours, maybe that will loosen the nozzles.

you know rebuilding or servicing injectors is not a home DIY task.

This thread has a bit of mis information.

If you do it your self you need a lot of test equipment. You have to confirm opening pressure of 180-210 kg/cm2. etc.. for your model.

If the opening pressure is not correct you need to use shims (which no one has except a diesel injection shop)

You also check for leaks at the tip and spray patterns.

If there is leaks or faulty spray patterns you will cause damage to your engine. over heating, carbon etc.

You can remove the injectors your self, and re-install them your self. But send them to an injection shop for rebuild/servicing.

I have a good pressure tester and some shims, hopefully in the dimensions i will need, and 5 new Denso nozzles. I will also lap the mating surfaces, there are some faint rings on them, and torque everything to spec.

I would very much like to have a good mechanic, if nothing else, to ask him these questions, but i don't.

In the manual the image they show is like a hand pressure pump that uses diesel to pressure the nozzles. As you add pressure it should not leak until it opens and sprays. Pressure lowers and it closes. They say it should make a swish sound too.

I believe that is exactly the one i have, from mercedessource. I haven't used / tested it yet.
Thank you :)

Injection shops use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean them up. You have to avoid using abrasive or mechanical methods to clean them.

That's a good amount of carbon. But I've never seen inside mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom