1984 2F Alternator - P.S. belt won't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I have the correct belt???

It doesn't seem to fit. This belt goes over the alternator and over to the P.S. pump on the other side and then down to the crankshaft outer pulley. The inner pulley has water pump and air pump belt.

I have loosen the alternator as far as it'll go, it bumps against a portion of the engine block and the thermostat hose. It seems to me that is too small as I am having a really hard time squeezing the belt over the pulleys. I even made belt soup, soaked the belt on hot water for a couple of mins.

I got it from CCOT as a kit that also came with the AC, water and air pump. So am wondering if I may have the wrong one. Or any suggestions on how to make it fit?

Thank you.

Where’s the VR on the alternator? Top middle or closer to the thermostat housing? Post a photo.

I’m just wondering if your alternator is a stock setup or if someone swapped it out for another w/ the voltage regulator (VR) clocked the ‘wrong’ way which would mean you’d need a larger (or smaller) belt (things have gotten fuzzy since I got my truck). The alt on my first truck was from a Cressida which makes swapping belts tough because the VR is clocked closer to the thermostat housing. I forget if it’s considered clocked at 2 or 10.
I might be sending you down a goose chase. Hopefully someone can just get a pix of the right belt number for you. It’s dark out here in CT and cold as heck.

“Not stock. Has wrong pulley (double). VR normally can be seen bolted to the top.” Per a mud guy I textd.

What belt did you have ON the truck that you took off? Does it have legible numbers on it?

So the voltage regulator on that alternator is not in the right spot, and it’s bottoming out on the engine removal hook that’s bolted to the motor. I ran into the same issue on mine as well. I ended up ratchet strapping both ends of the belt to my porch roof in the back yard overnight and stretching it out. Hey, whatever works.

So the voltage regulator on that alternator is not in the right spot, and it’s bottoming out on the engine removal hook that’s bolted to the motor. I ran into the same issue on mine as well. I ended up ratchet strapping both ends of the belt to my porch roof in the back yard overnight and stretching it out. Hey, whatever works.
God, @IS2SPICY4U dont do that. Just take the old belt to a Napa and have them match it. No sense stressing a new belt like crazy cat! ^^^
But really you ought to get the right pulley on there....

Yeap.. not stock ALT. Thank you all for replying, much appreciated. I was going nuts over this as I knew is not that hard to put a belt in. Usually there is little resistance but once in place it should tension accordingly with the brackets.

I think I'll chase down a stock or rebuilt. Or maybe I'll start with the pulley. CruiserParts has them not that expensive (looking at you P.S. pump!) So I'll go back to NAPA and get the next size down belt from what I had before. I had tried to replace it before so I opted to match it up with a larger one. But the only one I found was for a lawnmower! Obviously didn't last. I'll get the next size down to tie me over while I replace the pulley.

BTW- The initial belt that came with the LC is down the highway somewhere, it snapped last week as I was driving. It made me appreciate power steering even more for about 3 miles.

There's no need to change out the alternator (unless you just want to) for this job. Take the old belt down to the parts store and get one that fits.

Keep a record of the part number for the new belt for the next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom