1983 fj60 transfer case shifting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud!

so I have a 1983 H42/split case in my truck. The truck took a roll down a hill (long, long story), and now the linkage doesn't shift the truck fully into high/low. We removed the connection and manually are able to shift it (on top of the case) into high/low. the weird thing is, the high/low actuator has to be lifted slightly for the high/low to be successful.

Any thoughts around why this is? Does there need to be a spacer on top of the t-case to keep it in a raised position as it shifts high to low?

thanks in advance!

The arm that grabs around the shift arm shaft is only held in position with a tightened bolt. Seems to me that you could loosen that bolt and lift up the shaft a tad - then tighten the clamp bolt back up.

F63E8F12-C56F-40F3-BAA4-18DA730D0B3E.png

Just don’t let it fall down when loosening the nut. I believe it can fall inside the transfer case.
So hold it up with something like needle nose or vice grips?

easiest way to work on any of this is to remove the transmission crossmember and lower the rear of the drivetrain (slowly so you don't crack an exhaust pipe) with a floor jack and that will make it much easer to get your hands in there. well worth the extra 10-15 minutes

easiest way to work on any of this is to remove the transmission crossmember and lower the rear of the drivetrain (slowly so you don't crack an exhaust pipe) with a floor jack and that will make it much easer to get your hands in there. well worth the extra 10-15 minutes
Great idea!

Tie a chord on the shaft if needed and keep under tension so it does not drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom