For Sale 1982 BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been looking to buy a bj40-42 for a while. I've seen this rig on CL for over a year and seen it price drop a few times. I can't quite tell if it's worth it's price or a deal. It's got a columbian hard top, which i'd want to replace with something more original. The floor pics they show sketch me out, along with the fact that one or more picture is choppy with sections clearly blacked out to not show what's really there. Couple that with the fact that in at least 2 pictures you can see GREEN liquid streaming out from in front of the car on the ground. I can't imagine what other problems the car has. There's bones here but has a good amount of things needing to be replaced to make it worth the cost, especially considering the time i'd take to make this look stock-style. Maybe i'm nut's and this is the BJ for me, i'd go look at the rig if someone convinced me...

Last edited:
I’m just down the street so I emailed the seller and said I’d like to take a look at it. No response so far. I’m not in be market, but always fun to look at rigs close by. I’ll report back if I go see it.

At least he’s not claiming it’s the last BJ ever made...

Zero response. Either he's away for the weekend or he is a scammer and doesn't want someone coming by. I think it's too early to jump to conclusions, but I'll let you all know what I hear back (if I do hear back that is).

The fact that they imported it from "Colombia" and can't even spell the country right is a red flag in it's self.

Diesels are extremely rare in Colombia, I would be checking the vin # closely considering the vast majority of diesels in Colombia are swaps.

You might also want to run a body filler detector over it.

Cheers

The fact that they imported it from "Colombia" and can't even spell the country right is a red flag in it's self.

Diesels are extremely rare in Colombia, I would be checking the vin # closely considering the vast majority of diesels in Colombia are swaps.

You might also want to run a body filler detector over it.

Cheers

I honestly think it’s a scam. Someone should write them and say the are an out of state buyer but are interested and see if they get a reply. I said I was on local and would like to check it out. No reply still.

personally, at 13k I'd go look at it if I was local. It isn't perfect, but a perfect, late model BJ40/42 is going to be 2 or 3 times that price. If it is a solid driver, you can have fun with it while also working to improve things. The roof is not OEM, but it is very likely original to the truck, just like a lot of dealer added AC systems are. Plus, the Colombian hard tops often have venting built into them to circulate air to the back as well, so that is pretty cool. If it were me & I bought it, I'd probably keep the Colombian roof set up for winter, and add on an OEM soft top set up for summer, and get the best of both worlds. Without asking about it, I also wouldn't be too scared of the coolant puddle, as the seller could have just topped off the radiator. It looks like the overflow line is not connected to the overflow tank, so it would just lose some from time to time like that I think.

Speaking of coolant systems - what is up with the radiator? Why is it so far back from the bib cradle/support bracket? I think this bruiser had some overheating issues and their solution was to move the rad closer to the fan. Don’t see the shroud in there. Lot of issues and ??s for $13K.

Speaking of coolant systems - what is up with the radiator? Why is it so far back from the bib cradle/support bracket? I think this bruiser had some overheating issues and their solution was to move the rad closer to the fan. Don’t see the shroud in there. Lot of issues and ??s for $13K.

If I was to guess, I'd say it was an FJ40, converted to a BJ40/42 (as mentioned above), which is a shorter engine than the 2F. They kept the tranny mounts, to not have to cut the tunnel, but that mean relocating the engine mounts & radiator further back. Total guess though. Someone would have to see it in person to know for sure.

I would be very wary and if I ever got to look at it in person I would spend a lot of time tapping on the chassis and sighting down the body panels. Its hard to find a clean FJ40 in this country for much less than $20k these days. People get even more excited over the diesels so its suspicious that it looks so clean in the pictures and yet is priced in the "needs significant work" pricing of the FJ40 market. Looks like someone trying to bait an overzealous cruiser buyer into thinking they just got a deal when more than likely they got a bondo ridden, duct tape over chassis holed, fresh spray paint over rust detonated to destruction diesel powered heap really worth about $1200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom