Builds 1981 Pickup build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Between a new job and sugaring I havent had any time to work on this. But last weekend I did manage to pull the body off so I can repair the frame.

I made a big TG purchase and bought some DOM. My clubs first wheeling trip is in 2 weeks. Time to get to work!

hey man, its dana. I just stumbled onto this thread. Awesome you got that truck. I seriously considered picking it up when I was looking for trucks. I ended up with a 4runner because I really wanted the extra room for bitches and dogs.
The thing looks nice, the dude that had it seemed cool. I am excited to see it on the trail, looks like its in good hands!

Hey Dana! I saw your build over on GMC, the 4Runner looks sweet! Be very glad you didn't buy this. Haha the frame is cooked. I keep finding more and more rot. Which is why it's now down to a bare frame. The interior was also all chewed up by mice and there are some strange things going on under the hood. Definitely going to take way more to get it on the trails than I thought when I bought it. I did get my order of DOM yesterday and my TG parts should show up Thursday. So I have some motivation to do the rust repairs and get on with the fun stuff.

Its probably best I didn't buy it. Reality is, no time for a full time project, trying to build a shop takes a ton of time along with everything else. I do love the style of those trucks though, excited to see it out there.
Took my 4running into my woods for some testing this weekend, it did awesome. Lee blew up he rear ring and pinion...so back into the shop for him.

Looks like your 4Runner works well. Bummer to hear about Lees r&p though. Are you guys planning to be at the Jungle on the 27-28th? My brother, friend with a built mini truck and I are planning to go on the 28th. I'm hoping to have this mini truck "done" enough to wheel for the day.

Looks like your 4Runner works well. Bummer to hear about Lees r&p though. Are you guys planning to be at the Jungle on the 27-28th? My brother, friend with a built mini truck and I are planning to go on the 28th. I'm hoping to have this mini truck "done" enough to wheel for the day.
we are both actually going to be up in jay that weekend at a camp for a friends bachelor party and wheeling up there. Is there a GMC run planned later on?

I don't have a facebook account, I feel like I miss out on a bunch of the wheeling plans!

Bummer! I'm excited to wheel with you and Lee. We'll have a good crew of Toyotas this year.

Alright, well here's an update.

As you can see in the above picture I pulled the cab off the frame. I wire brushed the whole thing, found a bunch of rot. So Thursday with the help of my brother and a friend we stripped the truck to a bare frame.

Friday I cut out all the rot, welded in new material and got the frame in primer and back to a rolling chassis.

Saturday the drivetrain went back in and we set the cab back on the frame.

Sunday I cut out the floor and started preparing to build a new floor 2.5in lower than the factory. That brings us basically to today. My brother worked on getting the IFS box mounted up with the TG kit. I got half of the new floor structure built before running out of materials. Tomorrow I'll pick up more steel before work and then should be able to get the floor structure finished and start on the exo. Only 4 more working days before the maiden voyage.

The pics...

Bunch of 1.75 .120 wall DOM

Stripped frame, you can see one of the holes I patched.

Made a new friend

Rolling chassis with drivetrain

Body back on

Outside shot, you can see that the floor isnt there.

That basically brings us up to date.

wow nice! Nothing like crunch time mega progress! That thing is going to be awesome. We need to do some wheeling with you guys soon! To bad the bachelor/wheeling party in jay is the same time as the jungle trip or we could come down for that. Keep up the good work man.

Well I didnt make it and it wasnt for lack of effort on my part, my brothers or my friends. We all put in some late nights trying to get it done. But it just wasnt meant to be.

Basically whats left is the exo, mounting seats, brake lines, fuel lines and of course a lot of paint. But here are some pictures and brief description of whats been done.

I'm 6'4" and as anyone with one of these trucks knows, the cab is tiny. So to give myself some space to sit I cut out the floor and lowered it 2in.

Its mostly done, still needs some finish work. Basically just dress the welds, seam sealer and some bed liner. As you can see the dash is now back in too.

I made a basic t-case crossmember and a square D-shaft. Doesnt hang too far below the frame.

High steer, RUF, ubolt flips, gusset, armor, IFS box and power steering.

Got started on the armor

So I'll keep working at it and hopefully have it done before the next wheeling adventure.

looks great man. that is a LOT to get done in such short notice. Did you end up going to the jungle at all last weekend? We had a blast wheeling up in Jay. Guns, beer, tannerite, wheeling, and strippers. What else could you ask for?

Thanks. I didn't end up going but my brother and friend did. Hopefully I'll be ready for the next trip down there. Sounds like you had a good time in Jay.

looks great man. that is a LOT to get done in such short notice. Did you end up going to the jungle at all last weekend? We had a blast wheeling up in Jay. Guns, beer, tannerite, wheeling, and strippers. What else could you ask for?

I wanna go wheelin with you guys! Sounds like my kind of good times.

Build looks awesome amd is giving me ideas fory own build.

updates?

I'll post up some pictures either tomorrow night or Saturday. I've gotten some work done on the rear portion of the cage. Going to work on it some more tomorrow.

we saw your old 60 last night, the guy apparently lives right at the top of mason hill n, we wheeled up there and hung out with him for a bit. Seems like a good dude, but was hesitant to wheel it, he hasnt even wheeled the portion between mason hill s and n.

Awesome! I saw it in town a month or so ago and left a note on the windshield. He's a cool dude I haven't talked to him since he bought it but I hope he's enjoying it. I think it would be fun to go wheeling with him. I'll post up some pictures tonight when I'm not on my phone.

Here are 2 pictures of where the exo is now. I got the first a-pillar tube bent today also but I have a little fine tuning to do before I tack it in and nobody was there to hold in it position when I took pictures. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the a-pillars tacked. Then I can go through and make all the braces and such.

I got my a-pillar tubes bent and tacked on.

Then this followed me home.

Havent gotten it set up yet as there is a Honda Accord in the midst of a gas tank swap in the way of bringing it into the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom