1981 82 BJ60s and 42s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
Just noticed I have repaired two trannies of this model and vintage, seems like the cup the shifter sits in seems to be disinigrating??

Anyboyd else seen this of late?

This leaves t he trannies inoperable as the shifter drops and shifts the revers in gear and will not allow the other gears to be used...

Rob

Yep, that happened to me too about 4-5 years ago. I had mine stuck between 3rd and 4th. It happened to me in Mazatlan, Mexico and I drove all the way back to B.C. using only 3rd and 4th because no one had the part and they all wanted to pull the tranny to overhaul it.
I ordered the part from Gord at JP Toyota in Surrey (he was aware of the problem) and had it available when I got back. The tranny was fixed in 20 minutes.
I've since put in an H55 instead of the H42.
I found, on mine at least, that I knew it was doing something wrong about 2000km prior to the complete inoperable shifter.

I just tore my 1982 BJ42 Tranny apart and no problems there. The cup seems to be in graet shape. You said they are rotting out?

i have seen dozens of these over the years, common problem.
what sucks is when a Toytoa dealership tells the customer that he needs a new tranny to the sum of $4500 when all it needs is a $20 part...

I just got the advice here a week or so ago to check under the shifter for my tranny problem...couldn't get into any gear but third, second with a struggle. I took the shifter out and it looked like someone had put a handful of rocks in there. I guess the bushing has a limited shelf life. I just ordered a new one, and will be putting it in soon. I too had someone tell me I needed a new transmission, so if this works...well, I know where I can spend that two grand!

shifter seats

crushers said:
i have seen dozens of these over the years, common problem.
what sucks is when a Toyota dealership tells the customer that he needs a new tranny to the sum of $4500 when all it needs is a $20 part...
uhm, $20? I recently paid twice that, and had to wait a week for a 4speeed shifter seat. The original had melted into oblivion.

Maybe it's a $20 dollar part that is getting sold for $40, either way $20 or $40 are in the same ballpark when you're comparing to 2000. Can someone tell me what it starts to feel like when it begins to deteriorate? Some specific symptoms to diagnose this specific problem early?

hobiesbestfriend said:
Maybe it's a $20 dollar part that is getting sold for $40, either way $20 or $40 are in the same ballpark when you're comparing to 2000. Can someone tell me what it starts to feel like when it begins to deteriorate? Some specific symptoms to diagnose this specific problem early?
You're right, $40 really isn't something one should complain about... until you see what you get - a nylon ring.
I had no symptoms until - stopped at an intersection, I couldn't find any gears - kept hunting - found reverse - and then couldn't get out of reverse.
If it does crap out on you. With a 10mm wrench you can get the boot off, and then push down and twist ccw the top plate on the shifter retainer (?). With the retainer loose, I was able to drive in the city for a week, by gently lifting the shifter while shifting. Just avoid reverse! Have a screwdriver handy for getting into and out of R.

hobiesbestfriend said:

The shift feels sloppy and imprecise as it gets worse.It takes up the space between the gear stick and selectors.
I replaced mine when the synchros went in my old 3F 5SP thinking that was the problem.
It was fairly worn but didnt make much of a difference to the shift and a new one didnt help the synchros either:D
The 5 speed is a domed shape and I think the 4 speed is squarish??

I paid about $12 .Replace it and then you know its good ;)

Good item to buy in advance, and throw in the repair kit. That way if your are away froim civilization you at least can deal with it.

gb

when this happened to me or one of the customers trucks i get around by lifting the shifter up (i don't remoive the retainer since it helps to keep the shifter from coming right out) and doing exagerated shifts. i could get home doing this but it would be a serious PITA experience...

I lost my gears within a day of driving around. It was getting a bit difficult for a little while then it happened pretty quickly. I have a five speed, and just ordered the part from CruiserParts.net for five dollars.

I noticed the shifting getting more difficult over a two to three day period when mine went out.

Do all 4speeds have this shifter seat?
My BJ42 was having troubles shifting into 1st and 2nd a couple years ago, so I got the part and once I took the top of the tranny apart, I didn't have that seat, the shifter was metal on metal (if I remember correctly). I ended up checking to see if the oil was low, and water/oil came out, so I changed it and works good now (knock on wood). Is there a certain year it came out, maybe mine is a little older?
Cheers,
Deny

Deny said:
Do all 4speeds have this shifter seat?
My BJ42 was having troubles shifting into 1st and 2nd a couple years ago, so I got the part and once I took the top of the tranny apart, I didn't have that seat, the shifter was metal on metal (if I remember correctly). I ended up checking to see if the oil was low, and water/oil came out, so I changed it and works good now (knock on wood). Is there a certain year it came out, maybe mine is a little older?
Cheers,
Deny

The older ones are different. My daughters '76 FJ55 doesn't have this seat either nor does the FJ45LV that is getting an H41 low range 4 speed of unknown vintage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom