1979 Toyota Pickup - millennial edition - older than I am. Tell me all about it. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should have the kinks knocked out of that body mount shortly. Will post pics when it's all welded up. Once it's straight, I may leave the fenders on it for now - no real reason for me to get nice ones, just to hack them up for clearance.

I'm looking at a couple of options for an engine swap - my options are possibly a 22re with an auto transmission, a V6 3.0 (which I have not heard stellar things about), and some Nissan diesel I've never seen before. I believe it's an RD28? It looks a little like a 4BT and it's got a blue hue to it.

Would love some input from you guys on my selection. Otherwise I'll hold out for a Toyota diesel if none of these are ideal.

Last edited:
Ah man, those fender lines are so beautiful in stock form. Almost as nice as a 40 or 60 series Cruiser.

I'd hold out for a newer 4 or 6 cylinder Toyota gas engine, either 2.7 or 3.4 from 3rd generation 4Runner/ 1st generation Tacoma.

I'd hold out for a newer 4 or 6 cylinder Toyota gas engine, either 2.7 or 3.4 from 3rd generation 4Runner/ 1st generation Tacoma.

These - at the very least. If you’re set on 46s, the 22RE isn’t going to do much for you, the 3.slow is a step backwards, and the Nissan diesel sounds like it would be hard to find parts for.

Cummins is coming out with their 2.9L Turbo Diesel (4 cyl) as a crate motor. Premiered at SEMA 2016, but pricing and availability not out yet. Totally marketed to the off-road community.

Cummins is coming out with their 2.9L Turbo Diesel (4 cyl) as a crate motor. Premiered at SEMA 2016, but pricing and availability not out yet. Totally marketed to the off-road community.

No doubt that thing will be awesome but I think there is going to be some serious sticker shock when they announce pricing. Certainly guys with deep pockets will buy it but I think that will be a pretty small audience.

I'm looking at a couple of options for an engine swap - my options are possibly a 22re with an auto transmission, a V6 3.0 (which I have not heard stellar things about), and some Nissan diesel I've never seen before. I believe it's an RD28? It looks a little like a 4BT and it's got a blue hue to it.

I vote for a 1UZ swap... That being said, I would probably put a 3RZ in it and call it a day.

The Toyota diesel used in the old pickups has a fairly poor reputation and no power.

If you're on a budget and otherwise just considering those three engines above, I would go with the 3.0 if it comes with a manual transmission. Only if it's in good shape though, with head gasket replaced. 22RE with auto would be a real dog.

The RD28 really doesn’t look like you’re gaining anything over the 22R - other than perhaps a cool factor.

Nissan RD engine - Wikipedia

There are enough people that have done the 2.7L or 3.4L swaps that you shouldn’t have much trouble doing either of those and they’d gain you a lot more than the three you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom