1978 FJ40 Borgeson 7812145 Power Steering Box replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hello gang,
Thanks for all the help in the past. You can see my build progress on Instagram at wcw.fj40

Currently fixing the sloppy steering. All new tie rod ends and found too much play in the old PS box so decided to just replace it. It is a four bolt mount Borgeson 7812145 and I was curious if any of you had some recommendations on what would be best to replace it with. It has a 32 spline input shaft. Was looking at the new - Borgeson Universal 800130 - Borgeson 800 Series Power Steering Boxes however I am not sure how well it would match up. The rest is the standard saginaw setup as far as I can tell.
I'd appreciate any experienced guidance and thanks again all!
-MostlyNuts

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

That number, 7812145, comes up as a standard Saginaw box. There are a couple of threads here about replacement part numbers. The main issue seems to be making sure you get a 4.25 turn box. Just because the part number matches, doesn't mean its a 4.25 in the carton.

If you drive much on the street, I recommend a Saginaw/Delphi 700 box (PN 800205). This is a variable-speed steering box that was used in late 1970's F cars. It has a ratio of 16:1 "at-center" making it less sensitive to steering wheel movement driving down the road, and a ratio of 13:1 "past-center". For a trailer queen, or rarely-street driven rig, I do like the classic Saginaw 800, 4-turn box, but for almost all other uses, I think this is much better option. It is a 3-bolt box that fits perfectly on the older 4-bolt pattern. Borgeson offers (or at least used to) this box.

Here is a useful link

Previous Saginaw Link

Last edited:
I like a 4 - 4.5 turn box. I think anything less is twitchy on the road. Any 4 bolt Saginaw should be a good replacement.

I’m mainly doing this to make it safer for my kids (17yrs) who wanna drive it so mostly street. Likely not much if any real rock crawling but planning a few trips. Many trails but prob not anything like Forsyth..

I’m mainly doing this to make it safer for my kids (17yrs) who wanna drive it so mostly street. Likely not much if any real rock crawling but planning a few trips. Many trails but prob not anything like Forsyth..

I'd get a less sensitive box then. The short wheelbase likes not being twitchy. Especially at speed.

Looks like I’ll need to go with the 12.7:1 800130.
The PO did a front spring reversal and the shackle mount welds prevent the lower front bolt to be used so I must use the two top bolts, this I must have a 4 bolt mount...for now that is.
Should work better in any case and I thank you all for the great tips!

Correction, it'll be the Cardone Remanufactured Steering Boxes - 27-6509. I need a 36-spline count and everything else is 30. So, with the need for 4-bolt mount and 36-spline input shaft this is my only option that I can find. it says it 2.5-3 turns LTL which I believe is roughly 17.1:1 ratio. Still learning this and a bit confused. Is that too "loose" or "floaty"? It seems that 3 LTL would be very touchy but I could have all this backwards as well it seems.Each time I read up I change my mind! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom