For Sale 1977 FJ40, second owner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a nice Olive Green FJ40 for sale. I purchased the FJ from the original owner who was an officer in the Air Force purchased the FJ in Arizona. The original owner never used the FJ for off roading, nor have I. This is a good FJ that runs and drives like it should with 138,620 miles. This FJ is "stock" except for the CCOT 2 1/2 " shackles and shocks. Has smog equipment and was repainted by the original owner. FJ has Florida tag and clean FL title in my name. The FJ is located in Charleston, SC where i now live, I don't drive the FJ much and the FL tag is good until Aug, 2017 so i haven't bothered to transfer the title or tag. I'm asking $ 21,000 and will to accept offers. Winch is not included in sale, I think the FJ is worth more than $21,000 but thats subjective. Winch not included in sale, my brother wants it for his CJ7.

Mechanical - runs, drive good, no leaks of fluids at all.

12-7-2015 - rebuilt the carb but the idle will stick sometimes for a few seconds when you let off the gas.
2-8-16 - CCOT 2 1/2" shackles and shocks.
6-13-16 - Replaced the following by Toyota Cert. Mech. - clutch master cylinder, slave. Clutch assembly, rear main seal, u-joint, transfer case seal- rear output, oil pan gasket. fuel line and filter. Replaced side cover gasket. Not all the items needed replace but since the clutch was out i had the shop replace some seals/gaskets. Transmission and front and rear differential fluids changed.

6-20-16 - Replaced the following: water pump by-pass hose. thermostat, heater hose, radiator hose- upper , lower to radiator and lower to pump to pice hose.

5 BFG Mud Terr TA 31x10.50 R15 tires with about 300 miles

Body metal is in overall good condition. rear ambulance doors have some rust on the outside and the from doors have some rust in the usual spots. Floor pans and rear bed have zero rust. frame and underside of metal have no rust.

Interior is in good condition, no rips in the seats. the dash does have one crack.
View attachment 1443527 View attachment 1443527

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0340 2.jpg

IMG_0342 2.jpg

Price drop $20,000
I thought this truck sold yesterday per your text and my subsequent cancellation of an expensive flight to Charleston. Beware potential buyer. Seller does not give common courtesy if you confirm a flight to see the vehicle and possibly purchase it.

I thought this truck sold yesterday per your text and my subsequent cancellation of an expensive flight to Charleston. Beware potential buyer. Seller does not give common courtesy if you confirm a flight to see the vehicle and possibly purchase it.

You never committed to buying the FJ40. as you stated yourself "possibly purchase" . Get your fact straights. The FJ40 is still for sale. I've been a member of this site for years and have conducted business with other members with zero problems or issues. Oh, welcome to MUD newbie Whisky.

Newbie forum status member seems pretty irrelevant here. My status on this forum has nothing to do with your dealings with me on this sale and a high post count doesn't automatically make you a good person. Im just relaying the fact that I committed a large sum of money to come out and look at the truck and less than 24 hours from the arrival time, which you confirmed you would be available, you sold the truck and left me on the bad end of an $800 flight. It is your truck to sell at your discretion I just wrongly assumed that on an enthusiast's forum things like the courtesy of telling another buyer, "Hey I have a guy coming tomorrow from a long distance and I want to give him first right of refusal." would be somewhat common place. Hell I moved my flight up from Saturday to Tuesday and planned to take two days off work. I'd already be over a grand deep into "possibly purchasing" your truck after flight, cab fare, lodging and food. I'm incentivized at that point to not throw the cash away. Welcome to MUD? If you're the welcoming party maybe I should find a different forum.

Newbie forum status member seems pretty irrelevant here. My status on this forum has nothing to do with your dealings with me on this sale and a high post count doesn't automatically make you a good person. Im just relaying the fact that I committed a large sum of money to come out and look at the truck and less than 24 hours from the arrival time, which you confirmed you would be available, you sold the truck and left me on the bad end of an $800 flight. It is your truck to sell at your discretion I just wrongly assumed that on an enthusiast's forum things like the courtesy of telling another buyer, "Hey I have a guy coming tomorrow from a long distance and I want to give him first right of refusal." would be somewhat common place. Hell I moved my flight up from Saturday to Tuesday and planned to take two days off work. I'd already be over a grand deep into "possibly purchasing" your truck after flight, cab fare, lodging and food. I'm incentivized at that point to not throw the cash away. Welcome to MUD? If you're the welcoming party maybe I should find a different forum.

Hi Whisky and any others who are following. Please don't blame Pirate, the fault is mine here. He and I were talking last week and over the weekend I made an offer. Unfortunately this afternoon I was made redundant and can no longer afford the cruiser. So I'm having to back out of the sale. Bad news all round.

If you wanted him to hold it then you should have made an offer and put down a deposit with the final sale conditional upon your personal inspection.

You never committed to buying the FJ40. as you stated yourself "possibly purchase" . Get your fact straights. The FJ40 is still for sale. I've been a member of this site for years and have conducted business with other members with zero problems or issues. Oh, welcome to MUD newbie Whisky.

Your reply was in line until you threw in the line welcome to MUD newbie....that was frankly an inappropriate and jerky comment imo. The potential buyer was not savvy in his dealings but was genuinely interested and at the least, you could have offered a hey sorry about that and perhaps considered giving him an additional break on the price for his out of pocket expense, if he still wanted to proceed with a potential purchase.

Hi Whisky and any others who are following. Please don't blame Pirate, the fault is mine here. He and I were talking last week and over the weekend I made an offer. Unfortunately this afternoon I was made redundant and can no longer afford the cruiser. So I'm having to back out of the sale. Bad news all round.

I'm very sorry to hear that Dave but you're not at fault in the least. I was in the same position not long ago and understand what that's like.

Shickalee: I did discuss the potential for a down payment but that wasn't the way the seller wanted to go. At the time he had many interested parties and nobody committed to buying or even making a trip to look at it. If an acceptable offer was made on Saturday that was within 24 hours of me booking a flight and I could've cancelled without penalty or countered if I'd have known then. I understand that my reply here is probably out of line and a ridiculous internet slap fight at this point. I wasn't going to reply at all until the truck went back up for sale at more or less the same time I had setup to look at it.

I'm very sorry to hear that Dave but you're not at fault in the least. I was in the same position not long ago and understand what that's like.

Shickalee: I did discuss the potential for a down payment but that wasn't the way the seller wanted to go. At the time he had many interested parties and nobody committed to buying or even making a trip to look at it. If an acceptable offer was made on Saturday that was within 24 hours of me booking a flight and I could've cancelled without penalty or countered if I'd have known then. I understand that my reply here is probably out of line and a ridiculous internet slap fight at this point. I wasn't going to reply at all until the truck went back up for sale at more or less the same time I had setup to look at it.

I hear you, just another lesson learned. In the future, if you are going to spend money out of pocket you need to get assurances from seller that if you buy a plan ticket/depart for a longer drive that seller will hold for you until you inspect, without these assurances it is best to take a pass. Always another deal, so back at it. :)

So? Did it sell?

I had planned on traveling from VA to SC this weekend to check it out. If I liked it, I was going to buy it.

The owner text me Friday evening and said it was sold....oh well!

Hopefully it went to a good home.

Fellow Charlestonian here with a 74 FJ40! Can't believe I haven't seen this awesome 40 around town. Awesome truck, very jealous!

Has your 40 Sold Yet ??? I am interested. Thank You

I love this rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom