Build 1977 FJ40 LS + H55F build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chevy 350 with serpentine belt setup from a '98 truck. I pulled a line across the front body mounts on the frame, then did the same on the mounts on the body. I use it to try to reference measurements between the frame and the tub. The string in the tub is visible below the level.


20261005_104013.webp
 
Last edited:
@White Stripe were you able to get your door gap any tighter than this?

1791224414346.webp


I’ve already cut off the wrap around piece so my only option now is to cut out this section completely and weld a new piece in

1791224533364.webp
 
Inching my way forward, the tub still has to move forward a bit to close up the door gaps. This is pretty well documented in @White Stripe build

View attachment 4224699

I’m debating between modifying the factory cover to work or using the Aqualu cover.

View attachment 4224700

Aqualu cover is slightly taller and might offer a nice flat spot to mount the ebrake handle later down the road

View attachment 4224701
I believe the stock tunnel allows you to cut a bigger hole in the floor if i remember. It also fools a lot of people into not noticing its an aluminum tub. It makes it much easier when you have to pull the transmission for repairs. Which in my experience you will have to pull the transmission for repairs. That's how it always goes. Fitment takes a while. I believe i got my gap better than than that. Remember you can loosen the door hinge bolts and slide the door back. You can also call Aqualu and send them your pics. If I did it again I would probably cut off the front rocker flanges from the Aqualu, shave 1/8" or 3/32. And weld the flange back on. If you are close in location to Aqualu i might consider asking them to do that for you. I think my gap is 3/8.
21951097_1848133635516511_8379886884681974565_o.webp
 
Fitment takes forever. For me the urge was to rush it and get it together. But it takes a lot of patience and tweaking. Details and patience will give you a really nice 40 in the end. If it helps, keep in mind while fitment takes a while, your saving yourself many hours of rust removal and it will never rust again.
 
I believe the stock tunnel allows you to cut a bigger hole in the floor if i remember. It also fools a lot of people into not noticing its an aluminum tub. It makes it much easier when you have to pull the transmission for repairs. Which in my experience you will have to pull the transmission for repairs. That's how it always goes. Fitment takes a while. I believe i got my gap better than than that. Remember you can loosen the door hinge bolts and slide the door back. You can also call Aqualu and send them your pics. If I did it again I would probably cut off the front rocker flanges from the Aqualu, shave 1/8" or 3/32. And weld the flange back on. If you are close in location to Aqualu i might consider asking them to do that for you. I think my gap is 3/8.View attachment 4224854

Aqualu is about a 6hr drive from me. I got it moved around enough to get the gaps down to 3/8” my hinges are pushed as far as they can go back. I was getting hung up on the rocker being level with the cowl but it’s clear that it need to sit up a bit which will be covered by the running boards

1791230886830.webp


Hardtop sides are going to be another issue looks like the stakes will need to cut off and moved inboard.

1791231353106.webp
 
Fitment takes forever. For me the urge was to rush it and get it together. But it takes a lot of patience and tweaking. Details and patience will give you a really nice 40 in the end. If it helps, keep in mind while fitment takes a while, your saving yourself many hours of rust removal and it will never rust again.

It’s not looking as bad as I initially thought. Aqualu is very popular around here so there are some local guys who have done this already.

I used to deal with Aqualu in the early 2000s as they did CNC routering for our business great company.
 
Back
Top Bottom