Build 1977 FJ40 LS + H55F build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the FJ60 steering conversion, from what I've read some people have used a 70 series drag link for this conversion. Can I use a 40 series TRE with 21mm threads for the passenger side and a 70 series TRE at the pitman arm? I can see on my tie rod that the drivers side 40 series end is 21mm RH thread so the question would be if the 70 series end at the pitman arm is LH thread.

I know 80 series parts would be stronger/better but this build is not going to see that much abuse.

1789600520333.webp
 
Last edited:
Frame doubler plate and sleeves all welded in and smoothed out. I’m looking at swapping the pitman arm out to a 70 series depending on a shopping trip I’m taking @lowenbrau
1789766783155.webp
 
Last edited:
Working on the rear brakes and the @cruisermatt adapter brackets, could use a little guidance on the cable, looks to me like it needs to be shorten and re-swaged. This cable is out of a 60 series. How much slack do I need to leave a the handle end?

1789845884780.webp
1789845891273.webp
1789845897499.webp
1789845940792.webp


1789845928962.webp
 
I read about others having to grind on their bellhousing to make clearance for the clutch pressure plate. I'm going to have to take everything back apart and do some more clearance grinding as I'm still getting contact and can't get the engine to turn over with how it is currently
 
Bolted the trans up and had some interference between the pressure plate and flywheel. This is the inside of the AA bellhousing

View attachment 4216047
Did you use the centerforce clutch? I'm bolting mine together soon. Mine is a 350 with AA adapter to 4 speed. Hoping to change to the H55f before final install
 
Did you use the centerforce clutch? I'm bolting mine together soon. Mine is a 350 with AA adapter to 4 speed. Hoping to change to the H55f before final install
No I used a Sachs clutch off RockAuto for a 2006 and prior Sierra. I asked @cruisermatt and he said it would work. Pretty sure I can make it work with a bit of grinding
 
Don’t worry about the cable length until you have the body on and handle fitted
 
Started playing around with engine placement, started with a 3/4" block under the engine mount but there is plenty of room to go up from here. I will need to get the Aqualu tub ordered before I will be able to finalize placement and make sure shifters aren't going to hit. Engine is as far back as it can go without the head hitting the firewall.

1789999230973.webp

1789999285343.webp

Limiting factor for transmission height is the top cover hitting the transmission tunnel cover. I won't be using this cover as the Aqualu uses a different one

1789999513384.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom