For Sale 1977 FJ40 Located in Boulder, Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a running 1977 FJ40 up for sale. I got some feedback from the forum a few days ago with regards to value and have come up with a price of $7840. Here are the basics:

-Clean Colorado Title
-2 owners (I'm the 3rd)
-Stored for 8/9 years without being started
-I did a soft start and it runs smooth but needs carb cleaned
-Needs a new clutch cable
-Floor pans in awesome shape and do not need to be replaced
-Rear sill needs to be replaced
-headlights, signals, rear brake lights in good working order
-top, doors and panels all in super shape (new headliner needed for top)
-Glass all good
-Needs new door seals throughout.
-Original rustic green tub, dash
-Side panels, doors and fenders are not original but in good shape
-Hood not original but in good shape.
-Needs new dash pad
-Original seats, with head rests. Passenger seat is good, drivers needs to be redone. Missing one jump seat.

I really like this FJ and will consider doing a frame up restoration in the Spring. I have a '78 that is currently occupying my time and wallet. If you're serious and ready to get a project started, send me a message and I'll give you a call.

I have more pics but was only able to upload 5 for this thread.

IMG-0444.JPG

IMG-0445.JPG

IMG-0448.JPG

IMG-0417.JPG

IMG-0419.JPG

I got some feedback from the forum a few days ago with regards to value and have come up with a price of $7840

Wouldn't $7740 be more appropriate? ;)

full

I messaged the lady who sold this 40 and she was motivated to sell - meaning with cash in hand it could have sold for substantially less. From what I gathered she must have been selling stuff from her father's estate because she had other old items for sale too.

As someone who has been shopping for a 40 project it sucks to see what appears to be someone making a quick buck off what was a reasonably priced 40.

Last edited:
Just a casual observation, but Slick suggested ( without actually saying ) it was a non-op when he purchased it, that he had to trailer it home.

For Sale - 1977 FJ40 value

So, Now it appears to be running. I’m not sure what the exact $$ value on that is but it’s probably worth a little more now that its not siezed.....maybe not?

Just a casual observation, but Slick suggested ( without actually saying ) it was a non-op when he purchased it, that he had to trailer it home.

For Sale - 1977 FJ40 value

So, Now it appears to be running. I’m not sure what the exact $$ value on that is but it’s probably worth a little more now that its not siezed.....maybe not?

I'm just trying to let potential buyers know the background of this 40 - and what the seller is doing. To quote the seller in his other thread "I felt it was my civic duty".

Like I mentioned, my observation is casual — I really don’t care one way or the other, merely pointing out it wasn’t running and now it is - let prospective buyers do with that info what they will.

full

I messaged the lady who sold this 40 and she was motivated to sell - meaning I bet you got it for well under $5k if you are a flipper. From what I gathered she must have been selling stuff from her father's estate because she had other old items for sale too.

As someone who has been shopping for a 40 project it sucks to see an ih8mud member trying to make a quick buck off what was a reasonably priced 40.

Hey Mr. T, I can understand your observation with the limited info you have. It sounds like you need a truck! It's way more satisfying to bring one of these beasts back to life rather than trolling the forums. Get out there and get a truck, I'm sure there's one with your name on it. Good luck!

Hey Mr. T, I can understand your observation with the limited info you have. It sounds like you need a truck! It's way more satisfying to bring one of these beasts back to life rather than trolling the forums. Get out there and get a truck, I'm sure there's one with your name on it. Good luck!

I actually recently acquired an FJ40 from a land cruiser enthusiast who is very passionate - to the point of importing and selling as a hobby. He was great to deal with and sold to me for a reasonable price because he knew it was going to someone who was going to get it back on the road again.

This is not about trolling - it is about sharing information to other cruiser heads that might be shopping.

Last edited:
That's a tough area. There are lots of flippers out there but the ones to me that are trouble are the type that do crappy "restorations" and then misrepresent what has been done. The kind of lies that make most of us sick to our stomach. There is nothing wrong with turning a truck for a little extra play money, and buying here on mud will make sure it gets the proper filter of watchful experienced eyes. There is a lot of value in being able to be the first one to get to a sale, take the chance on making it run, and putting up an ad with good description and lots of pictures and I think that's well earned money for a Cruiser reseller. It's kind of like a realtor for a house. You can go with "by owner" and do your own legwork or by a realtor and have it done for you.

I love finding deals out there, but I think trucks here on mud for sale are by far the safest bet.

I fully agree with @dogfishlake that there is nothing wrong with turning a truck for a little extra money (without misrepresenting).

The reason I decided to post in the first place is because the seller states "Stored for 8/9 years without being started". This seems misleading because the pictures I received from the previous owner showed the cruiser sitting out in a field and it looked like it had been there for a long time (you can see that in the facebook picture clip I posted). Personally - I would pay extra for a cruiser that had been "stored" in a barn, carport, garage vs one that sat out in a field.

If you read thru the other thread For Sale - 1977 FJ40 value it appears the seller decided to go with the recommended price for a "running and driving" cruiser - and even states "I think this 77' falls in that category of being a runner". Again this could be interpreted as misleading in that the cruiser previously sat in a field and may or may not actually drive down the road.

As prospective buyer (on East Coast). It is nice to know full information about truck market and truck history. This why I start looking for FJ way early (probably will buy next or next next year). This forum is the smart way to start. I can see Slick's statement (why not, right?). But at the same time, with truck history information, I will know or get some idea, how and where this truck was stored for last few years.

Last edited:
I am batting 1000 for gaining a friend with every vehicle I have bought on mud.

That is worth a ton.

Wow! Can we not list a 40 for sale without drama?

Good luck to all in their search for a land cruiser, but posting in a for sale thread what is speculated that someone has invested and that they are making a profit is being disingenuous?

Welcome to Mud, I don’t think any of the Members of drama department have been around for more than a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom