1977 Engine # / VIN mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

I've researched the Mud forum, SOR VIN charts, and other threads -- I found similar questions, but no clear connection.

The background:
I have a 1977 with a VIN door plate and frame number that match - both look to be a July 1977 build -VIN FJ40 253568.

The mystery:
However, my engine stamp looks like it's possibly a 1978 - engine number 2F -361695.

This isn't a huge issue for me except a concern that ordering some parts in the future might not fit correctly (seems there are some possible changes on the 78 blocks - manifold, ignition, etc.?)

Question:
Think this might be a later-model engine stamp and, if so is there a parts mismatch concern?

2F361695 would put it at a 4/79’ build truck ... aka a 79’ engine not 78’

Thanks. The VIN is 253568 - which looks like it maps to a July 1977 build. Wasn't sure how closely the engine numbers tracked.

If it is a later model engine (78 and above) any issues with parts mismatch for manifolds, coil, etc?

035_2F_a-big.jpg

If you need engine parts I'd go off the engine numbers and not off the vehicles VIN.

US imports had a air pump and three tapped holes in the block for the bracket for the power steering pump starting 1/79. Not sure if other markets without the air had the three extra holes in the block since the power steering pump was in the other side of the engine without the air pump. If you have the tapped holes know for sure the block at lease is 1/79+

Toyota engine #s rarely designate year and are not tied to an individual chassis, unlike US vehicles. The motors were What we consider “outsourced” tho not by Japanese standards. It probably came from an earlier batch. Only reason for concern would be that it is a 79-83, which is a slightly different animal.

The engines are in sequential order for the build dates ... look at the registry or 2f engine number thread ... they didn’t pull an engine from the future and put it in the cruiser :meh:

:)

If there was any doubt to the engine serial number stamp you can look to the engine casting number see here:

Casting Number Deciphering (FJ40jim)

casting number is on the manifold side of engine...

example: 11202

Yr / month / day

1971 / December / 2nd .... or .... 1981 / December / 2nd

When toyota is manufacturing they were the originators of “just in time” manufacturing... they produce only what is needed... when it is needed for production and in the amount needed

The excess and/or built in extra is what is housed for parts inventory... engines that are “parts” do not have engine numbers stamped

Taiichi Onho the father of Toyota’s manufacturing TPS was and is the reason that many parts are going unobtainium ... he hated waste :)

Usually they show him photoshopped with Cars in production ... but... here is the original picture (pic from autoreview ) the man and his engines

19C2D018-315A-450B-ABA1-42A49F9E4735.jpeg

Casting number is not the same as stamped serial #. The '75 FJ-40 early was an F motor with a 3 speed. later models had the 2F with a 4 speed. Casting numbers are very important for batch match when building a motor. Serial numbers are not a reliable source on Land Cruisers

This is in a 1/79 FJ55LG-KA i work on regularly

i would love a fresh perspective from anyone ?

but in the Mean time i WANT Taiichi Onho's Hat BAD .....................:popcorn:

note: i did polish lightly with scotch-bright , it's a Definite Blank and 2F

DSCN2525.JPG
DSCN2592.JPG

The engines are in sequential order for the build dates ... look at the registry or 2f engine number thread ... they didn’t pull an engine from the future and put it in the cruiser :meh:

:)

If there was any doubt to the engine serial number stamp you can look to the engine casting number see here:

Casting Number Deciphering (FJ40jim)

casting number is on the manifold side of engine...

example: 11202

Yr / month / day

1971 / December / 2nd .... or .... 1981 / December / 2nd

When toyota is manufacturing they were the originators of “just in time” manufacturing... they produce only what is needed... when it is needed for production and in the amount needed

The excess and/or built in extra is what is housed for parts inventory... engines that are “parts” do not have engine numbers stamped

Taiichi Onho the father of Toyota’s manufacturing TPS was and is the reason that many parts are going unobtainium ... he hated waste :)

Usually they show him photoshopped with Cars in production ... but... here is the original picture (pic from autoreview ) the man and his engines

View attachment 1871074

DSCN3049.JPG
DSCN3054.JPG
DSCN3055.JPG
DSCN3056.JPG
DSCN3057.JPG

@RAGINGMATT

That’s the part numbers not the casting number

The casting number is further back toward the firewall on the same side as the part number

thanks !

i have to wait till day light to get those , Never knew about the casting numbers on a 2F

simply amazing !

@MiniMe

I was starting to respond to your posts ... but... there is just too much to enlighten you to

I just do not have the time for education... you will need to do research

Lol too much

@RAGINGMATT hit me up with a private message I can help you with the casting number ... but I think you’ll get it :)

There has been lots discussed about casting numbers for those who want to search it out as well as vins and serial numbers... model years and extended years

I’m checking out of this thread ... just don’t have the time these days

PO hope I answered what you needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom